What do you guys think about this...

Started by SJ_GTI, May 17, 2005, 02:09:05 PM

BMWDave

QuoteWell I just got back from the test drive. It was alot of fun. I got to drive pretty much every combination except for the SMG (which isn't being sold here yet, apparently it won't go on sale in Canada until this fall). Here are some thoughts...

Overall: Brilliant car. Its very difficult to find any flaws in the car, though I will nitpick some things on the individual models. Balance is superb, reactions to changing pavement conditions is best in class, acceleration is strong and smooth in both engines, and of course the 6-speed manual was just about perfect. Interior is great. I got to see the "lemon yellow" interior in person. Its a bad name because it doesn't even look yellow. Its basically what I would call a cream beige color. I think it would look great in just about any exterior color combination (except maybe red). I got to try active steering vs regular steering back to back several times, and all I can say is that the complaining about this system is silly. The first time I tried it I didn't even notice it. It wasn't until I got back into a regular 3er without active steering that I noticed I was turning the wheel more. I wouldn't pay extra for it, but if it came standard I wouldn't complain. Brakes on all models were stellar. Half the time in the "ABS" section I wouldn't even use ABS because the cars would stop so quickly without it.

325i with 6MT: This is the car I would get. The engine has ample torque all over the rev range, the clutch/shifter is just about perfect, and turning transitions are seamless (and trust me I got to put this car through its paces!).

325i with 6AT: Engine felt a little sluggish off the line in this configuration, but once you got the revs up the car would move admirably. Personally I was a little disappointed in the "steptronic" function. The E46 325i 5AT I tested felt more responsive to inputs. There was just too much delay on this car. I know they stopped using GM automatics this year, and personally I wonder if that was a good idea.

330i with 6MT: Obviously the "creme de la creme" in the bunch. Basically it does everything the 325i does, but with more power. I can't say the bigger tires made a difference in handling though (18's on the 330i, 17's on the 325i with sport packages). That being said I didn't notice the extra weight it carries vs the 325i either, so I don't think it will be an issue for prospective buyers. I am not a power junkie though, so I probably wouldn't spring for the extra 4-5k it costs over a 325i (when optioned similarly). If you have the money burning a hole in your pocket I can see the temptation though.

330i with 6AT: I guess its the extra torque, but basically the automatic worked a bit better here. Steptronic was still a little slow to react, but because of the torque spread it wasn't as urgent to downshift as often in this car. I am not a fan of automatics, but if you have to get an automatic this may be the case were its worth it to move from the 325i to the 330i.

Some notes: Sport package doesn't seem to make a startling difference for the hanlding. There is a little less body roll and the seats are a little more bolstered, but overall I wouldn't say its an absolutely necessity when buying this car. This is in comparison to when i bought my A4 where it made a huge difference. A4 without sport package is just too soft and rolly, with sport package its about where a non-sport 3-series is as far as handling.

So will I be spring for a new car this summer? Honestly, despite loving the new 3er...I can't really say I was convinced to trade in my A4. The 325i would be a better car, but after talking with the salesman I figure I would lose somewhere between 15-20k (CAD) by trading in. Even the salesman told me I would be dumb to trade my A4 at this point (he seems to be a bit of an Audi/VW fan oddly enough...he drives a GTI  :lol: ). He said if I really want a 325i I should try to sell my A4 privately. He's probably right, but its always more of a hassle trying to sell a car privately.  :angry:

Anyway I will keep thinking about it, but right now I am leaning toward keeping my A4 through another winter.

Anyway questions or comments are welcome.  :)
Good review.  Maybe when your A4 gets old, in 2 or 3 years, then go and buy a 3er.  Until then, you still have an amazing car.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raghavan

QuoteWell I just got back from the test drive. It was alot of fun. I got to drive pretty much every combination except for the SMG (which isn't being sold here yet, apparently it won't go on sale in Canada until this fall). Here are some thoughts...

Overall: Brilliant car. Its very difficult to find any flaws in the car, though I will nitpick some things on the individual models. Balance is superb, reactions to changing pavement conditions is best in class, acceleration is strong and smooth in both engines, and of course the 6-speed manual was just about perfect. Interior is great. I got to see the "lemon yellow" interior in person. Its a bad name because it doesn't even look yellow. Its basically what I would call a cream beige color. I think it would look great in just about any exterior color combination (except maybe red). I got to try active steering vs regular steering back to back several times, and all I can say is that the complaining about this system is silly. The first time I tried it I didn't even notice it. It wasn't until I got back into a regular 3er without active steering that I noticed I was turning the wheel more. I wouldn't pay extra for it, but if it came standard I wouldn't complain. Brakes on all models were stellar. Half the time in the "ABS" section I wouldn't even use ABS because the cars would stop so quickly without it.

325i with 6MT: This is the car I would get. The engine has ample torque all over the rev range, the clutch/shifter is just about perfect, and turning transitions are seamless (and trust me I got to put this car through its paces!).

325i with 6AT: Engine felt a little sluggish off the line in this configuration, but once you got the revs up the car would move admirably. Personally I was a little disappointed in the "steptronic" function. The E46 325i 5AT I tested felt more responsive to inputs. There was just too much delay on this car. I know they stopped using GM automatics this year, and personally I wonder if that was a good idea.

330i with 6MT: Obviously the "creme de la creme" in the bunch. Basically it does everything the 325i does, but with more power. I can't say the bigger tires made a difference in handling though (18's on the 330i, 17's on the 325i with sport packages). That being said I didn't notice the extra weight it carries vs the 325i either, so I don't think it will be an issue for prospective buyers. I am not a power junkie though, so I probably wouldn't spring for the extra 4-5k it costs over a 325i (when optioned similarly). If you have the money burning a hole in your pocket I can see the temptation though.

330i with 6AT: I guess its the extra torque, but basically the automatic worked a bit better here. Steptronic was still a little slow to react, but because of the torque spread it wasn't as urgent to downshift as often in this car. I am not a fan of automatics, but if you have to get an automatic this may be the case were its worth it to move from the 325i to the 330i.

Some notes: Sport package doesn't seem to make a startling difference for the hanlding. There is a little less body roll and the seats are a little more bolstered, but overall I wouldn't say its an absolutely necessity when buying this car. This is in comparison to when i bought my A4 where it made a huge difference. A4 without sport package is just too soft and rolly, with sport package its about where a non-sport 3-series is as far as handling.

So will I be spring for a new car this summer? Honestly, despite loving the new 3er...I can't really say I was convinced to trade in my A4. The 325i would be a better car, but after talking with the salesman I figure I would lose somewhere between 15-20k (CAD) by trading in. Even the salesman told me I would be dumb to trade my A4 at this point (he seems to be a bit of an Audi/VW fan oddly enough...he drives a GTI  :lol: ). He said if I really want a 325i I should try to sell my A4 privately. He's probably right, but its always more of a hassle trying to sell a car privately.  :angry:

Anyway I will keep thinking about it, but right now I am leaning toward keeping my A4 through another winter.

Anyway questions or comments are welcome.  :)
Good review.  Maybe when your A4 gets old, in 2 or 3 years, then go and buy a 3er.  Until then, you still have an amazing car.
2 or 3 years for a car isn't old...

BMWDave

Its already about 1 years old, so in 2-3 it will be about 4 years old.  Its definitely feasible to start looking for a new car to replace your old one at 4 years old.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

QuoteIts already about 1 years old, so in 2-3 it will be about 4 years old.  Its definitely feasible to start looking for a new car to replace your old one at 4 years old.
WTF??? cars are fine when they're 4 years old. My dad tries to squeeze the life out of cars. keeps em at least 12-15 years.

BMWDave

QuoteIts already about 1 years old, so in 2-3 it will be about 4 years old.  Its definitely feasible to start looking for a new car to replace your old one at 4 years old.
WTF??? cars are fine when they're 4 years old. My dad tries to squeeze the life out of cars. keeps em at least 12-15 years.
Look, I'm not saying they go bad at 4 years.  Some people drive their cars as daily commuters, and get about 90K in 4 years.  When you need a reliable car, 90K miles, even on a good car, means that stuff can start to go wrong.  Thats when they look for a new car, so they go the next 90K or so miles until the next car.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

QuoteIts already about 1 years old, so in 2-3 it will be about 4 years old.  Its definitely feasible to start looking for a new car to replace your old one at 4 years old.
Look, I'm not saying they go bad at 4 years.  Some people drive their cars as daily commuters, and get about 90K in 4 years.  When you need a reliable car, 90K miles, even on a good car, means that stuff can start to go wrong.  Thats when they look for a new car, so they go the next 90K or so miles until the next car.
cars can go up to 200k reliably with good maintenance.

BMWDave

QuoteIts already about 1 years old, so in 2-3 it will be about 4 years old.? Its definitely feasible to start looking for a new car to replace your old one at 4 years old.
I have a friend who took his TL to 260K miles and counting...all without a problem.  What I'm saying is that people want peace of mind and want to know that their car will be reliable.  The fact is that not all cars go to 250K miles, and the ones that do so mostly require maintenance to get there.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

I have a friend who took his TL to 260K miles and counting...all without a problem.  What I'm saying is that people want peace of mind and want to know that their car will be reliable.  The fact is that not all cars go to 250K miles, and the ones that do so mostly require maintenance to get there.
ALL cars require maintenance, dave. :rolleyes:  

BMWDave

QuoteIts already about 1 years old, so in 2-3 it will be about 4 years old.? Its definitely feasible to start looking for a new car to replace your old one at 4 years old.
Of course they do, but the fact is, and you cant deny it, that cars do start requiring more maintenance when they reach about 100K.  Many people cannot have their car breaking down on them, and thus opt for a new car at about 100K miles.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

Of course they do, but the fact is, and you cant deny it, that cars do start requiring more maintenance when they reach about 100K.  Many people cannot have their car breaking down on them, and thus opt for a new car at about 100K miles.
my honda doesn't require more maintenence, and it's at 104000 miles. they replace more stuff each time, but the trips don't become more frequent.

BMWDave

my honda doesn't require more maintenence, and it's at 104000 miles. they replace more stuff each time, but the trips don't become more frequent.
I'll repeat my argument again...the fact is that stuff could go wrong, and people do it for peace of mind.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

I'll repeat my argument again...the fact is that stuff could go wrong, and people do it for peace of mind.
:shrugs: i don't cos i don't have money! :lol:  

850CSi

Me and my dad have been trying to decide between the '06 3-Series and the '06 A4.

The decision is one that would require Einstien's brain power.

BMWDave

QuoteMe and my dad have been trying to decide between the '06 3-Series and the '06 A4.

It wouldnt require Einstein's brain power to spell his name right ;)  :lol:  :lol:

Seriously though, the Bimmer is a sportier car, and brand bias basically tips the scales in its direction.  But the A4 is still an amazing car.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

QuoteMe and my dad have been trying to decide between the '06 3-Series and the '06 A4.

3-er. at least you don't get the gaping grille.

BMWDave

I dont mind the gaping grille.  It looks a lot better on the A6 and A8 than on the A4, but still, the License Plate breaks it up and splits it in two.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

I dont mind the gaping grille.  It looks a lot better on the A6 and A8 than on the A4, but still, the License Plate breaks it up and splits it in two.
see, the grille was designed for euro plates, which split it nicely, but ours is taller and boxier, and it makes the grille look awkward. that's the reason i don't like it.

850CSi

You know what, screw it. I like my red devil over them both.

BMWDave

see, the grille was designed for euro plates, which split it nicely, but ours is taller and boxier, and it makes the grille look awkward. that's the reason i don't like it.
Thats kind of true, but it still breaks up the grille in some way and doesnt make it a big expanse of black.

2007 Honda S2000

850CSi

It wouldnt require Einstein's brain power to spell his name right ;)  :lol:  :lol:

Seriously though, the Bimmer is a sportier car, and brand bias basically tips the scales in its direction.  But the A4 is still an amazing car.
The A4's got AWD, and the interior makes the Bimmer's look like... crap.

Plus, I'd be upgrading from A4 to A4. That overtakes brand bias.

The E90 is an amazing machine, though.

I think a test drive would be the only solution.

I want to delay the decision altogether and keep my '99.

BMWDave

I heartily disagree that the A4s interior makes the Bimmer look like crap.  

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

Thats kind of true, but it still breaks up the grille in some way and doesnt make it a big expanse of black.
but it looks a lot more awkward and less sleek than the euro plates, for sure.

BMWDave

but it looks a lot more awkward and less sleek than the euro plates, for sure.
Definitely.  I fully agree.  

2007 Honda S2000

850CSi

The 760Li's interior can barely match that one.

Raghavan

The 760Li's interior can barely match that one.
who cares about looking at the interior when you're having so much fun driving? and the A4's interior doesn't make the BMW's look like crap. different styles, that's all.

BMWDave

Definitely doesnt beat a 7 Series.  It is far better than that interior.

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

I think the 3er doesnt have as nice an interior as the A4, but hey, it in no way looks like crap.

2007 Honda S2000

giant_mtb

Definitely doesnt beat a 7 Series.  It is far better than that interior.
That is incredible...deffinitely defeats the A4's, IMO.  :o  :o  :o  

giant_mtb

If the A4's interior was a light color like the BMW's it'd probably be a closer competition between the two...

BMWDave

Being that it is in two classes above the A4, it should defeat it!  I just brought it in to show Faris that the A4 interior doesnt beat the 7er.  

2007 Honda S2000