O God. Am I going to buy a Prius????

Started by 12,000 RPM, June 21, 2014, 09:44:01 PM

12,000 RPM

Wifey wants a hybrid for her next car but I can't think of any that fit the bill (gotta be a hatch or SUV). On my drive back from NYC on a little 90 MPH spurt I was getting tailed by a current gen Prius. I didn't know they could do 90? It had the "sport" package (freeze breeze 17s) which reviewers say makes it actually decent to drive. I'm just worried about the power

The RX400h is another idea... gets about 30 MPG combined and ~33 city which is good as wifey's commute is stop n go hell, but it also does 0-60 in the mid 6s. I'll be honest though, I prefer the looks of the Prius

Any other ideas for a semi luxury SUV/wagon that does 0-60 in <10s and gets >30 MPG combined? We are years away from buying anything but w/e.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Xer0

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 21, 2014, 09:44:01 PM
Wifey wants a hybrid for her next car but I can't think of any that fit the bill (gotta be a hatch or SUV). On my drive back from NYC on a little 90 MPH spurt I was getting tailed by a current gen Prius. I didn't know they could do 90? It had the "sport" package (freeze breeze 17s) which reviewers say makes it actually decent to drive. I'm just worried about the power

The RX400h is another idea... gets about 30 MPG combined and ~33 city which is good as wifey's commute is stop n go hell, but it also does 0-60 in the mid 6s. I'll be honest though, I prefer the looks of the Prius

Any other ideas for a semi luxury SUV/wagon that does 0-60 in <10s and gets >30 MPG combined? We are years away from buying anything but w/e.

Some sort of VAG diesel should fit the bill nicely.

ifcar

Volt?

There's also likely going to be a new Prius out before you shop, which presumably will make significant progress on the refinement front. I don't know that stop-and-go brings out the strengths of a diesel, especially with the higher fuel costs factored in.

MX793

Doesn't Lexus make some smaller hybrid hatches?  CT200h or something like that?  There's also the Ford C-Max.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

dazzleman

A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

12,000 RPM

No plug in cars. This is gonna be a road trip car. I don't think there are any supercharging stations within like 500 miles of here.

I think the CT200h has the same drivetrain as the 2010+ Prius. I prefer the looks of the Prius in and out

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 21, 2014, 09:44:01 PM

Lexus CTh? 

EDIT: You think the Prius looks better?  The CTh isn't pretty, but it's better looking than the Prius at least.  There is a Jetta Hybrid.

Optima Hybrid?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on June 22, 2014, 07:19:33 AM
Lexus CTh? 

EDIT: You think the Prius looks better?  The CTh isn't pretty, but it's better looking than the Prius at least.  There is a Jetta Hybrid.

Optima Hybrid?
Need something with a hatch. NX300h/Q5 hybrid are perfect but like $50K ATM. Wish the Prius had the Camry hybrid's powertrain. That would check all the boxes.

SVT666

12,000 RPM

Whoo I have plenty of experience with those as cabs in NYC. Really shitty interiors. Plus the RX gets the same gas mileage with like double the HP.

MrH

If you're dropping $40k on a car, why are you limiting yourself to hybrids? Gas cost is a tiny portion of a purchase price that large.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Whoa whoa whoa buying used. More like $15K. Wifey spends a lil less than her car payment on gas every month so cutting gas costs in half would make a meaningful difference. $1000-1500 a year

cawimmer430

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 22, 2014, 07:12:30 AM
No plug in cars. This is gonna be a road trip car. I don't think there are any supercharging stations within like 500 miles of here.

I think the CT200h has the same drivetrain as the 2010+ Prius. I prefer the looks of the Prius in and out

BMW 118d with the M-Sport Package 60 mpg+.

Now if only it was sold in America...  :devil:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 22, 2014, 09:22:39 AM
Whoa whoa whoa buying used. More like $15K. Wifey spends a lil less than her car payment on gas every month so cutting gas costs in half would make a meaningful difference. $1000-1500 a year

Oh, I didn't realize RX 400h's have gotten down to that price.  For some reason I thought those only came out in the last few years so they were near $40k.  Looks like there's some good examples out there for <$20k.

Have you considered a Prius C?  Saw one in blue today, I don't think they look too bad exterior wise.  Pretty crazy gas mileage too.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Prius C is a little too tight. 90% of my friends are above average height. Extra room (and more importantly HP) of the regular Prius would be appreciated.

RX sounds good on paper but honestly I hate the looks in and out. I don't like its ride height either. I was never a fan of my mom's RX. I will still check it out though.

I'm thinking we can do the Prius for a few years, then get a used NX300h. That is pretty much the perfect wifey car. Interior looks sexy as hell too (albeit a lil busy).

MrH

If the CT200h and HS250h (which are down in the $15k's) are too tight, go with a Prius V.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Laconian

It's fuel efficient for its class, but in absolute terms it's not spectacular. You could match the RX's fuel economy pretty easily with a conventional car that rides lower to the ground. Is the MPG figure important, or does your wife just want a hybrid?

My mom's 3rd gen Prius drives like a video game. The dashboard is way too high, the ceiling is way too low, visibility is just garbage. She's happy with the fuel economy and the cargo room of the hatch, but after experiencing the road noise and claustrophobic cabin for years my parents have finally come to the point of admitting that perhaps Toyota sacrifices too much at the altar of fuel efficiency.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

ifcar

Quote from: MrH on June 22, 2014, 09:50:30 AM
If the CT200h and HS250h (which are down in the $15k's) are too tight, go with a Prius V.

Bear in mind that the Prius v is the same engine as the regular Prius but in a bigger, heavier, less aerodynamic package. If it had the Camry Hybrid powertrain, it would be pretty impressive, though.

If you're looking at the RX hybrid but are concerned about the price, how about the Highlander?

12,000 RPM

Prius C is too tight. HS/CT are roomy enough, but I prefer the looks of the Prius to both. Def over the HS, that car is hideous. Highlander is too big... it's just me and my wife now.

Honestly if the Jetta wagon came in a hybrid, that would be great. There are a lot of TDI wagons though. I'm just afraid of diesel prices and maintenance. Plus like 80% of wifey's driving is stop n go traffic. So a hybrid would benefit more to that end.

Laconian

GM mild hybrid? Their hybrid modes are kind of lame but they do support auto stop/start. They're probably dirt cheap, too.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Laconian on June 22, 2014, 12:25:50 PM
GM mild hybrid? Their hybrid modes are kind of lame but they do support auto stop/start. They're probably dirt cheap, too.
No hatches, it seems. Saturn Vue has a hybrid version but I'm leery. I'm imagining the interior being absolute shit.

ifcar

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 22, 2014, 12:19:05 PM
Highlander is too big... it's just me and my wife now.

The first-gen Highlander Hybrid is actually smaller than the RX400h, just boxier. Compared to the current RX450h, the second-generation Highlander is about an inch longer and wider and two inches taller.

ifcar

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 22, 2014, 12:41:15 PM
No hatches, it seems. Saturn Vue has a hybrid version but I'm leery. I'm imagining the interior being absolute shit.

That was actually a good generation for the Vue, and there's even a full hybrid version. But not many were made before the brand was dropped.

GoCougs

Hey, haven't we been here before? One's pocket book, and environmental sensitivities, will be best served by a lightly used high quality compact (Civic, Corolla).

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 22, 2014, 12:41:15 PM

Interior's nice, but the hybrid setup that isn't a Volt is an absolute joke. The "green line" system in GM cars is basically a big alternator.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on June 22, 2014, 02:50:48 PM
Hey, haven't we been here before? One's pocket book, and environmental sensitivities, will be best served by a lightly used high quality compact (Civic, Corolla).
Isn't that a Prius :confused:

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on June 22, 2014, 04:33:52 PM
No.

Lol. A Prius with ~60K miles isn't a "lightly used high quality compact"?

GoCougs

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 22, 2014, 04:39:10 PM
Lol. A Prius with ~60K miles isn't a "lightly used high quality compact"?

No, and not only because the Prius has an EPA size classification of "midsize" and not "compact" ;).