Explorer Thread!

Started by BimmerM3, February 08, 2015, 11:36:17 AM

BimmerM3

Quote from: GoCougs on February 23, 2015, 08:41:16 AM
The 4Runner and Prado/GX are entirely different - different chassis/wheelbase, wholly unrelated sheet metal/glass, different suspension, etc. Just like the LX is a gussied up Land Cruiser and the RX is a gussied up Harrier, the GX is a gussied up Prado (i.e., 4Runner is not in the equation).

No.

Everything I can find indicates that the 4Runner, FJ, Prado, GX, and Tacoma are all based on the LC120 chassis. Yes, the GX is really just a re-badging job, so is much closer to the Prado than the other ones. But the 4Runner does share a chassis and suspension with the GX and LWB Prado, with the same wheelbase. The rear air suspension was even optional on the 4Runner, apparently.

GoCougs

According to Toyota and Lexus websites the wheelbases are quite different - GX/Prado @ 112.2" vs. 4Runner @ 109.8" (= different chassis).

MX793

These are BOF rigs.  Changing wheelbase doesn't make them unrelated platforms any more than a short cab/ short bed Silverado vs an extended cab / long bed Silverado.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

TBR

Quote from: GoCougs on February 23, 2015, 10:25:13 AM
According to Toyota and Lexus websites the wheelbases are quite different - GX/Prado @ 112.2" vs. 4Runner @ 109.8" (= different chassis).

I thought we were talking about the previous generations? Per Edmunds, both were at 109.8. Looks like the 2nd gen GX (and equivalent Prado) got stretched a bit.

BimmerM3

Quote from: TBR on February 23, 2015, 11:46:33 AM
I thought we were talking about the previous generations? Per Edmunds, both were at 109.8. Looks like the 2nd gen GX (and equivalent Prado) got stretched a bit.

Yeah, that's what I was referring to.

GoCougs

Silverado incarnations however share glass and many body panels.

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on February 23, 2015, 12:13:54 PM

But they don't necessarily share as much with their GMC counterpart, or their Yukon/Tahoe cousins.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

BimmerM3

Quote from: GoCougs on February 23, 2015, 12:13:54 PM

So different body panels = different chassis now? :confused:

GoCougs

All I know is GX = Prado not 4Runner.

BimmerM3

Quote from: GoCougs on February 23, 2015, 12:44:27 PM
All I know is GX = Prado not 4Runner.

You know we're talking about the 2002-2009 vehicles, right? They're all the same platform.

CJ

BimmerM3

Quote from: Rupert on February 22, 2015, 04:17:16 PM
I think I would avoid modern luxury SUVs-- seems like a lot to go wrong and do so expensively.

Check out that 4Runner, though!

Emailed the dealership - rebuilt title. Knew it was too good to be true.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 23, 2015, 07:47:25 PM
It would be stupid to buy a pre-modded Cherokee, right? Especially since I don't really know what to look for in terms of quality mods?

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=30363&endYear=2016&engineCode=6CLDR&maxPrice=10000&pricesOnly=true&mmt=%5BJEEP%5BCHER%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&vehicleStyleCodes=AWD4WD&modelCode1=CHER&photosOnlyActual=true&showcaseOwnerId=71953&makeCode1=JEEP&startYear=1981&engineCodes=6CLDR&maxMileage=150000&searchRadius=100&listingId=392707198&Log=0

Yes, that is a terrible terrible idea. No telling the quality of the work or the parts, and a significant reduction in the already terrible ride and handling for no material performance benefit (i.e. the stock Cherokee is going to be more than enough).

One thing about Cherokees in general-- they aren't very good at gravel and especially at washboard. They skitter around the road a lot.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Rupert on February 23, 2015, 08:07:05 PM
One thing about Cherokees in general-- they aren't very good at gravel and especially at washboard. They skitter around the road a lot.

When I make a budget-conscious decision, as this would be, I'm okay with some shortfalls.

Rupert

That's a big one, IMO, but YMMV, so proceed.

BimmerM3

Rupert

Eh, I probably wouldn't worry about it. Lots of people drive them all over those kinds of roads.

2o6

BimmerM3

Quote from: 2o6 on February 23, 2015, 09:33:55 PM
I'll say it again

Liberty?

Everything I've read about the Liberty seems very "meh" and it doesn't seem to have a great reliability record.

SVT666

I'll say it again

Explorer

Mine has been rock solid and has taken me over some pretty rough terrain with no problems.

Rupert

I'll say it again

Yeah, no, just buy what makes sense to you. You're on the right track.

SVT_Power

Quote from: SVT666 on February 23, 2015, 10:33:18 PM
I'll say it again

Explorer

Mine has been rock solid and has taken me over some pretty rough terrain with no problems.

My parents had a '03, which I assume is the previous gen to yours? I'll also say the Explorer is a solid choice, I did some stupid shit in that car and it held up without a single mechanical issue. Always felt like a solid car.

However, right around the 100k miles mark, something went wonky with the dashboard and the whole cluster had to be replaced - that was a pricey fix.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

BimmerM3

Quote from: SVT_Power on February 23, 2015, 11:37:09 PM
My parents had a '03, which I assume is the previous gen to yours? I'll also say the Explorer is a solid choice, I did some stupid shit in that car and it held up without a single mechanical issue. Always felt like a solid car.

However, right around the 100k miles mark, something went wonky with the dashboard and the whole cluster had to be replaced - that was a pricey fix.

Yeah, and that's the problem with buying cars around the 100k mark. Nearly every car performs well for the first 80k or so.

The Explorer is still definitely in consideration. They seem to be at the upper end of reliability, though you can still find people who have had major problems without looking too hard. But the Cherokee is just soooo cheap, and should be very dependable. :lol:

ifcar

Maybe I missed something, but why are you assuming that a 15-year-old Cherokee will be reliable while you worry about a bunch of much newer Fords and Nissans?

BimmerM3

Quote from: ifcar on February 24, 2015, 07:11:21 AM
Maybe I missed something, but why are you assuming that a 15-year-old Cherokee will be reliable while you worry about a bunch of much newer Fords and Nissans?

The problem with the Xterra/Pathfinder/Frontier is that coolant can leak into the transmission, and if that happens, you'll basically eventually need a new transmission. It looks like the internet has figured out how to fix the problem before it occurs, but I don't think there's a good way of knowing if the problem previously occurred, and it's likely that someone fixed the coolant leak without fixing the underlying damage to the transmission, which can take awhile to fail. As capable as these cars are, there's a reason they're as cheap as they are. This is the reason.

Like I said, the Explorers seem to be pretty good overall, but still not as good as the 4Runner. It's not hard to find reviews from people online who have had major problems with their Explorers. Definitely fewer than most cars, but many more problems than 4Runners have had.

Cherokees are consistently reviewed as some of the most dependable cars on the road, and the fact that they're basically half the cost of an Explorer makes any potential repairs much easier to stomach.