2016 Mitsubishi Lancer

Started by 2o6, October 01, 2015, 10:42:42 AM

veeman

Quote from: MX793 on October 14, 2015, 10:29:38 AM
Mustang and M3 have ~140 more horsepower.  The turbo Mustang, which is about the same power as the Evo, is close to 30 mpg.

Yeah that's true. 

23 mpg highway doesn't seem terrible to me for a balls out rally car.  Most mainstream cars upshift way too early to eek out a few extra miles per gallon.  They're designed not to run properly for CAFE.   

12,000 RPM

Quote from: veeman on October 15, 2015, 12:00:02 AM
Yeah that's true. 

23 mpg highway doesn't seem terrible to me for a balls out rally car.  Most mainstream cars upshift way too early to eek out a few extra miles per gallon.  They're designed not to run properly for CAFE.   
Its not like those cars get worse mileage IRL. EVO has terrible gas mileage at the EPA AND on the road.

Lil more $$$ over the MR gets you in an M235i or 340i......................
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MrH

Evo's are still going for like $35k-$40k new.  That's laughably expensive for that old thing.  If they were having a fire sale for $25k, it might be interesting, but yeah, you're encroaching on some serious cars that were actually developed in the last decade.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

I feel like the older EVOs have 6 speed manuals too.....

giant_mtb

Da GSR has a 5-speed manual and the MR has a TTSSCUXRT 6-speed automatic thingy.

giant_mtb

Oh, and the MR also has "Punch control®, DTS® Neural Surround, PremDIA-WIDE surround and Dolby® volume."

YES. I fucking love PremDIA-WIDE and PUNCH CONTROL.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 19, 2015, 07:41:59 PM
Oh, and the MR also has "Punch control®, DTS® Neural Surround, PremDIA-WIDE surround and Dolby® volume."

YES. I fucking love PremDIA-WIDE and PUNCH CONTROL.

You can add direct port nitrous injection and a stand alone fuel management system. Not a bad way to spend ten thousand dollars.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 19, 2015, 08:36:15 PM
You can add direct port nitrous injection and a stand alone fuel management system. Not a bad way to spend ten thousand dollars.

What does that have to do with stupid sound gimmicks.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 19, 2015, 08:37:31 PM
What does that have to do with stupid sound gimmicks.

What do stupid sound gimmicks have to do with transmission speeds?  You never had sound gimmicks. You never had your car. Granny shifting, not double clutching like you should.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 19, 2015, 08:41:01 PM
What do stupid sound gimmicks have to do with transmission speeds?  You never had sound gimmicks. You never had your car. Granny shifting, not double clutching like you should.

:cry:

Cookie Monster

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 19, 2015, 07:10:47 PM
I feel like the older EVOs have 6 speed manuals too.....

Evo IX MR's had 6 speed manuals.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

giant_mtb

Quote from: thecarnut on October 19, 2015, 09:51:52 PM
Evo IX MR's had 6 speed manuals.

Why on earth wouldn't they put that transmission in the new GSR.

Raza

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 19, 2015, 07:37:14 PM
Da GSR has a 5-speed manual and the MR has a TTSSCUXRT 6-speed automatic thingy.

Yeah, that's why I'd stick with the GSR.  5MT + the premium package (leather, sunroof, et al) + nav is like 41K....320i xDrive money. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: MrH on October 19, 2015, 02:39:25 PM
[Y]ou're encroaching on some serious cars that were actually developed in the last decade.

Not exactly a plus, in my book.  Cars from this decade kind of suck. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 19, 2015, 01:35:32 PM
Its not like those cars get worse mileage IRL. EVO has terrible gas mileage at the EPA AND on the road.

Lil more $$$ over the MR gets you in an M235i or 340i......................

M235i is a coupe, which is hardly comparable.  And the xDrive version starts at $46,000+.

I also didn't know that the 340i existed.  Is that what they call the 335i now?  xDrive starts at $47,800. 

And since they're BMWs, once you add doors and windows and seats and paint and seatbelts, I'm sure you're looking at $55,000-60,000 quite quickly.  Just based on memory, a comparably equipped 340i xDrive (with the no-cost manual option....for a second there, I thought the 3 had dropped the manual transmission), and it was $57,845.  That's not a little more money.  That's significantly more than a basically loaded Evo GSR, which doesn't lose much along the lines of features (the BMW does have more, and the way options are packaged, you do definitely pay for it even if they're of marginal usefulness), which weighs in at $41,480.  Of course, you do get a better looking car with no badge snobbery, so in today's climate, those are probably both negatives (ugly is in right now). 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

68_427

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 19, 2015, 09:55:55 PM
Why on earth wouldn't they put that transmission in the new GSR.

The 5 speed is regularly swapped into MRs because the 6 speed is weak sawce
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on October 21, 2015, 10:22:57 PM
M235i is a coupe, which is hardly comparable.  And the xDrive version starts at $46,000+.

I also didn't know that the 340i existed.  Is that what they call the 335i now?  xDrive starts at $47,800. 

And since they're BMWs, once you add doors and windows and seats and paint and seatbelts, I'm sure you're looking at $55,000-60,000 quite quickly.  Just based on memory, a comparably equipped 340i xDrive (with the no-cost manual option....for a second there, I thought the 3 had dropped the manual transmission), and it was $57,845.  That's not a little more money.  That's significantly more than a basically loaded Evo GSR, which doesn't lose much along the lines of features (the BMW does have more, and the way options are packaged, you do definitely pay for it even if they're of marginal usefulness), which weighs in at $41,480.  Of course, you do get a better looking car with no badge snobbery, so in today's climate, those are probably both negatives (ugly is in right now).
Your Z4 doesnt' have xDrive. You dont need it. $1000 set of snow tires on steelies will do the trick.

What features brought the 3er up $10K? And a loaded EVO still feels like a $15K Lancer. My buddy had a VIII.... my first thought when I sat in it was "well at least this thing makes 700AWHP". A lot like the GT-R in that way actually. The way I see it, these days there's no need to throw everything out the window for performance. $40K gets you a Golf R, Focus RS, S3, etc. etc. All just as fast while being much better overall cars.

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 22, 2015, 06:38:36 AM
Your Z4 doesnt' have xDrive. You dont need it. $1000 set of snow tires on steelies will do the trick.

No, it won't. My Z4 doesn't have xDrive....and therefore I don't use it in the snow. I stipulated AWD when I made the comparison between the Evo and 320i xDrive, you can't change the comparison now because you don't like my parameters. $1000 on wheels and tires that need to be stored year round, mounted every winter, and taken off when the winter ends that still make your car not as good as AWD in the snow is hardly a solution.

What features brought the 3er up $10K? And a loaded EVO still feels like a $15K Lancer. My buddy had a VIII.... my first thought when I sat in it was "well at least this thing makes 700AWHP". A lot like the GT-R in that way actually. The way I see it, these days there's no need to throw everything out the window for performance. $40K gets you a Golf R, Focus RS, S3, etc. etc. All just as fast while being much better overall cars.

It wasn't many, but they add up. I don't have the configuration in front of me, but it was stuff like the M Sport package (to put it on level playing field as to sportiness), navigation system, cold weather package (which was included in the Evo's premium package). $1000 was just destination (which I included for both cars).

10 grand in options doesn't buy you a lot at BMW.

And I'd have to drive them back to back to tell you how the luxury models stack up. I know the Evo VIII I drove was an absolute blast, and one a current S4 couldn't live up to.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MrH

STI is a much better car all around.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

STI not worth getting till they toss that 20 year old engine

It has half the power band and gets like half the gas mileage of its competitors lol.

veeman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 22, 2015, 06:38:36 AM

I thought a lot of sports suspensions won't allow steelies; just aluminum.  I've never seen steelies on a BMW.  My Sonata has steelies in the winter.  My friend's Elantra with a  "sports suspension", the tire shop said no steelies.  Just wondering...

12,000 RPM

Quote from: veeman on October 23, 2015, 04:57:45 AM
I thought a lot of sports suspensions won't allow steelies; just aluminum.  I've never seen steelies on a BMW.  My Sonata has steelies in the winter.  My friend's Elantra with a  "sports suspension", the tire shop said no steelies.  Just wondering...
Tire shop wants to sell tires. They make large diameter steelies. Just need the right offset. I saw a 330I ZHP on steelies

MX793

I don't see how a sport suspension would preclude the use of steel wheels.  Old Honda Civic had double wishbones (as sporty as basic suspension designs get) and came from the factory with steel wheels.  Brake clearance can be problematic on vehicles with large rotors or calipers and prevent the use of steelies.  That wouldn't be a problem for an Elantra.  Your friend got sold a line of BS.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

Ferritic steel generates an electromagnetic field when it spins. This energy field can potentially spin up the adjustable spring seats on the coilovers. This can cause catastrophic failure of stance.

2o6

The tire store told me my old Focus would basically explode because I wanted to go from 15" wheels to 16" wheels.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on October 23, 2015, 10:44:32 AM
The tire store told me my old Focus would basically explode because I wanted to go from 15" wheels to 16" wheels.

Ford dealer service writer claimed my aftermarket muffler caused the CEL on my Focus. Foci are just tempermental.

lol

veeman

I thought it was mostly a weight issue.  Steelies weigh a lot more than alloys so modern "sporty" cars aren't designed for Steelie use and they would end up causing damage.  Or, the tire shop was full of bullshit.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: veeman on October 23, 2015, 01:01:47 PM
I thought it was mostly a weight issue.  Steelies weigh a lot more than alloys so modern "sporty" cars aren't designed for Steelie use and they would end up causing damage.  Or, the tire shop was full of bullshit.

Most random tire shops are full of idiots.

Find a tire shop approved by Tire Rack with a Roadforce balancer. Discount Tire stores are usually on the ball, too.

veeman

In any case, I've never seen a "sporty" car like a Bimmer or Audi with steelies in the winter.  Plenty of SUVs and mainstreamers. 

veeman

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 23, 2015, 01:04:09 PM
Most random tire shops are full of idiots.

Find a tire shop approved by Tire Rack with a Roadforce balancer. Discount Tire stores are usually on the ball, too.

Your point is well taken.  Anyways, my Sonata has steelies in the winter.  My friend with the Elantra just swapped tires because he didn't want to pay for new alloys.