Why don't cars captivate/mystify us like they used to?

Started by 12,000 RPM, May 22, 2016, 12:29:15 PM

12,000 RPM

You look at cars like the F40, 959, Countach etc.... or hell even something as mundane as an E30 M3 or Integra Type-R... seems like folks still  go nuts over these cars, even though most of them would get washed by a $50K Camaro SS. EVO recently did a video revisiting the 959 and Jethro was loving every minute of it. What gives? Are there any cars from today we will still be swooning over in 30 years? Is the nostalgia just hipster bullshit or the real deal and if so what's changed?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MexicoCityM3

Of course there are. Most of the reason we fawn over oldies is simply because they came out at a time when we were falling in love with cars or have some emotional significance to us.

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

shp4man

All's I'm sayin' is that there is nothing quite like a relatively light car with a big inch, pushrod, long stroke engine and low rear axle ratio. It's called brute force. Modern cars don't have it.
It's quite invigorating. You should experience it sometime.

MrH

There's more great cars out than ever. Stop using Jethro as a bench mark for whether a car is great or not. The dude power slides mclarens for a living. 959 is probably thrilling to him because it's something different to him.

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CALL_911

They don't captivate u because u don't have as much time in your life to devote to them. I'd say this is a general theme across this board

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Laconian

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 22, 2016, 01:25:28 PM
They don't captivate u because u don't have as much time in your life to devote to them. I'd say this is a general theme across this board
+10

When I was in high school, my thinking was "when I get some money, I'm going to get a whole fleet of fast cars!" My priorities are totally different now. I realized that the legal system, rapey insurance, and overall congestion in my region conspire to make daily driving kind of a shitty experience. Subaru is solid transportation and I'm perfectly happy with that.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Rupert

Why don't cars captivate us like they used to? Because we're adults with adult concerns.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

MX793

In 30 years, when all cars are characterless, near-silent, self-driving, electric vehicles, nearly every car today will seem special.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

CaminoRacer

Quote from: shp4man on May 22, 2016, 12:40:33 PM
All's I'm sayin' is that there is nothing quite like a relatively light car with a big inch, pushrod, long stroke engine and low rear axle ratio. It's called brute force. Modern cars don't have it.
It's quite invigorating. You should experience it sometime.

Hell yeah
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MX793 on May 22, 2016, 02:08:50 PM
In 30 years, when all cars are characterless, near-silent, self-driving, electric vehicles, nearly every car today will seem special.
This is what I am talking about.... adults our age have always been into cars... none of the cars I'm talking about were designed or primarily bought by teenagers

My priorities have definitely shifted but I don't think it's unreasonable to say something like a Countach is more interesting than its successors. I feel like cars today are a little too strangled by regulations and fiduciary obligations. And maybe we have just run out of ideas to a large degree.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

2o6

Cars are expensive and less friendly to work on.

I'm still into cars, but I think the climate of the fact that most cars these days are pretty good now also ruins it

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 2o6 on May 22, 2016, 05:42:57 PM
Cars are expensive and less friendly to work on.

I'm still into cars, but I think the climate of the fact that most cars these days are pretty good now also ruins it

Motorcycles and hot rods (maybe a kit car or two) is the direction I'm headed for that exact reason. Wrenching as a hobby is becoming less possible with new cars, so I'm focusing elsewhere.

Rupert

I just don't enjoy working on cars that much. Lots of hard to reach bits, grease, uncomfortable positions, and that's when nothing goes wrong.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

MrH

Yeah. working on cars isn't fun. It's just too expensive to pay someone to do it all usually. I just like the end result I guess.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

Maintenance isn't fun. Upgrading, hot rodding, building, etc is fun.

Gotta-Qik-C7

I was just telling a friend that it's only a few cars that tickle my fancy! Maybe 4 that I can Afford and another 3 that are on my "First Cars To Buy If I Hit The Lotto" list!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

280Z Turbo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 22, 2016, 07:48:25 PM
Maintenance isn't fun. Upgrading, hot rodding, building, etc is fun.

I guess our resident pencil pushers wouldn't agree with that, but oh well. :lol:

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Rupert on May 22, 2016, 07:36:38 PM
I just don't enjoy working on cars that much. Lots of hard to reach bits, grease, uncomfortable positions, and that's when nothing goes wrong.

Maybe you're just not very good at it. :lol:

Byteme

Quote from: MrH on May 22, 2016, 07:42:55 PM
Yeah. working on cars isn't fun.

I enjoy it.  To the extent that yesterday I bought a tire changing machine so I can mount/ dismount my own tires. 

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: CLKid on May 22, 2016, 08:18:01 PM
I enjoy it.  To the extent that yesterday I bought a tire changing machine so I can mount/ dismount my own tires. 
I need one of those!

VTEC_Inside

Why? Because they all fucking suck.

Everything has gotten bigger, heavier, and the driving "connection" has gotten progressively worse with every generation.

I want a car with a belt line lower than my shoulder, that weighs <= 3000lbs, has steering that communicates, a gas pedal without lag, revs that don't hang, 200-250hp, and is somewhat practical (4 seats, usable trunk).

Its insane how much more in control I feel driving my RSX-S than my CSX. The RSX-S is involving and communicative (hydraulic steering, cable throttle), the CSX is alright, but has generally numb response in comparison (EPS, DBW). I realize that EPS and DBW can be done right, but its not often you hear that it is.

There isn't a single new car at a reasonable price (to me <40,000CAD) that gets me even remotely excited. If a tree crushed both my cars I would probably get a WRX, but the idea of brake based torque vectoring irritates me even if it is unlikely to overheat the brakes off the track.

Actually, I'd probably just go get a new 2.0L 6spd Civic, or try a Mazda 3 and just get it over with. It'd be easier to live with a car I don't really care about since no one else gives a shit out there either. I watched a bitch in a mini-van open her door into the CSX the other day as she parked off center next to it, not hard mind you, but it did leave a mark I had to buff out...

/bitterrant
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

Cookie Monster

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 22, 2016, 01:25:28 PM

I can feel that my interest has waned in cars, primarily due to motorcycles giving me a much more visceral experience, but I still think a big part of why I'm not as interested in cars is because the way new cars have been progressing is pretty depressing. Lack of manual transmissions, more gadgets and features I don't want, extra safety crap, more diluted driving experience and heavier weight all make me not really want to ever buy a new car past 2005 or so...
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Cookie Monster

Quote from: MrH on May 22, 2016, 01:15:46 PM
There's more great cars out than ever. Stop using Jethro as a bench mark for whether a car is great or not. The dude power slides mclarens for a living. 959 is probably thrilling to him because it's something different to him.

Great in terms of mag racing, sure, but I wouldn't agree in terms of driving enjoyment or engagement.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

280Z Turbo

Millennials don't like mechanical things. Only electronic crap...and not the electronic workings of it, just the use of it.

280Z Turbo

Also, if the problem is that cars are too big and heavy now, why do baby boomers love the land yachts of the 60's? Even "midsize" cars back then had about 10ft more sheetmetal than they needed.

Raza

1. There's no passion left.  Cars are too much of a business now.  Skunkworks just can't exist anymore.  There are no engineers working secretly after hours to give us the next Miura.  They punch a clock, and the accountants tell them if they did a good job or not.

2. Because of this, cars generally suck now.  Yes, they're better appliances now than they ever were.  Appliances for transportation, appliances for speed, appliances that don't break down; but I've never once said I loved my microwave or wanted a poster of it on my wall (fully disclosure, I do love my fridge and dishwasher, but I still wouldn't want them as posters on my wall).

3. As people either demanded or perceived to demand higher and higher performance with no regards to feel, the limits of cars got higher and higher.  Because a 6 second to 60 Camry still has to drive the kids to school before John Middlemanagement takes it to the office.  Can't have him spinning out and wiping out his entire family because he didn't have his morning coffee.  Driving is inherently dangerous and people don't have the appetite for it anymore, which brings me to the next point....

4. The overstimulation of a generation means that the market as a whole as decided that driving a car is no longer an effort worthy of its time, attention, and focus.  The market would rather text than drive.  Therefore, cars have had to become mobile phone holders more than cars.  People need a place where they can text and drive, tweet "that wall is coming up really fast" as they fail to steer away from their grisly end, read emails, find restaurants, and play movies to pacify and eventually zombify their children, the next overstimulated generation, because disciplining your unwanted children is too much damn work when you need to spend more time SnapChatting about your fucking workout. 

5. There's no beauty in cars anymore.  Look at past designs.  Look at a Ferrari Daytona.  A Lamborghini Miura.  A pagoda SL. A 246 Dino.  The best looking cars these days are normal cars, and they're more and more becoming ungainly turds with weird noses and beltlines so high that windows will soon become a figment of the imagination.  Lamborghinis still excite the eye a bit, but the majority of Ferraris are downright ugly now.  Aston Martin is the only company still making truly beautiful cars (well, perhaps Jaguar with the F and XK as well), but that's pretty much because they built on the DB7's looks with the DB9 and Vanquish, and then ever since then, every car has been basically a slight variation on those two designs. 

I am clinging on to my Z4 for dear life because I think it's one of the last beautiful (and I know that's disputed), exploitable, and fun cars we may ever see.  It's engaging, it's raw, it's precise, the car feels mechanical; the shifter is taut like a rifle bolt, the clutch balanced and delicate like a ballerina holding a katana.  In short, the Z4, to me, is something truly special.  I can't really seem to say that about much else that's out there right now. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Raza  on May 22, 2016, 10:02:53 PM
1. There's no passion left.  Cars are too much of a business now.  Skunkworks just can't exist anymore.  There are no engineers working secretly after hours to give us the next Miura.  They punch a clock, and the accountants tell them if they did a good job or not.

2. Because of this, cars generally suck now.  Yes, they're better appliances now than they ever were.  Appliances for transportation, appliances for speed, appliances that don't break down; but I've never once said I loved my microwave or wanted a poster of it on my wall (fully disclosure, I do love my fridge and dishwasher, but I still wouldn't want them as posters on my wall).

3. As people either demanded or perceived to demand higher and higher performance with no regards to feel, the limits of cars got higher and higher.  Because a 6 second to 60 Camry still has to drive the kids to school before John Middlemanagement takes it to the office.  Can't have him spinning out and wiping out his entire family because he didn't have his morning coffee.  Driving is inherently dangerous and people don't have the appetite for it anymore, which brings me to the next point....

4. The overstimulation of a generation means that the market as a whole as decided that driving a car is no longer an effort worthy of its time, attention, and focus.  The market would rather text than drive.  Therefore, cars have had to become mobile phone holders more than cars.  People need a place where they can text and drive, tweet "that wall is coming up really fast" as they fail to steer away from their grisly end, read emails, find restaurants, and play movies to pacify and eventually zombify their children, the next overstimulated generation, because disciplining your unwanted children is too much damn work when you need to spend more time SnapChatting about your fucking workout. 

5. There's no beauty in cars anymore.  Look at past designs.  Look at a Ferrari Daytona.  A Lamborghini Miura.  A pagoda SL. A 246 Dino.  The best looking cars these days are normal cars, and they're more and more becoming ungainly turds with weird noses and beltlines so high that windows will soon become a figment of the imagination.  Lamborghinis still excite the eye a bit, but the majority of Ferraris are downright ugly now.  Aston Martin is the only company still making truly beautiful cars (well, perhaps Jaguar with the F and XK as well), but that's pretty much because they built on the DB7's looks with the DB9 and Vanquish, and then ever since then, every car has been basically a slight variation on those two designs. 

I am clinging on to my Z4 for dear life because I think it's one of the last beautiful (and I know that's disputed), exploitable, and fun cars we may ever see.  It's engaging, it's raw, it's precise, the car feels mechanical; the shifter is taut like a rifle bolt, the clutch balanced and delicate like a ballerina holding a katana.  In short, the Z4, to me, is something truly special.  I can't really seem to say that about much else that's out there right now. 
:golfclap:

Rich

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on May 22, 2016, 08:29:35 PM
I want a car with a belt line lower than my shoulder, that weighs <= 3000lbs, has steering that communicates, a gas pedal without lag, revs that don't hang

Nailed it. 

I'm excited for the new Miata in theory, but I'm honestly scared to drive it.  The EPS and DBW give me a lot of doubt.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Rupert

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on May 22, 2016, 08:15:51 PM
I guess our resident pencil pushers wouldn't agree with that, but oh well. :lol:

Is this the snobbery of the underclass I'm seeing here? ;)

Rupert

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on May 22, 2016, 08:16:20 PM
Maybe you're just not very good at it. :lol:

You have that reversed. I'm not good at it because I don't like it.

Also, I'm good at some of it-- lots better than most dummies with a wrench. I'm great at running wires. :lol: Still don't like it though.