A practical CUV for her *** Thread update, Rotor’s worst nightmare realized ***

Started by Lebowski, September 04, 2017, 08:41:55 AM

giant_mtb

Tave

Quote from: Lebowski on September 24, 2017, 06:36:21 PM
What's that have to do with anything?

A used disco sport is not something I would comfortably buy with 50k miles with the intention of driving another 50-100k miles.  A Toyota product is. 

I said most economic choice I could have hoped for not the most economical choice within the realm of all possibilities.  We could buy a used Kia Rio too that's not really being discussed is it?

Lol ok.

Dude, you'd be 50,000 miles in, out of warranty, for $2000 less than a BRAND NEW base CR-V. Than is not an "economic win." Not even if you factor-in your desire for a higher trim level.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

shp4man

Ask Soup about high mileage Toyotas. You may get a flaming good answer.  :lol:

Lebowski

Quote from: Tave on September 24, 2017, 06:41:52 PM

Dude, you'd be 50,000 miles in, out of warranty, for $2000 less than a BRAND NEW base CR-V. Than is not an "economic win." Not even if you factor-in your desire for a higher trim level.

Even worse, it's $4000 MORE than a base Honda Fit!  You're right, I'd be getting royally fucked on this deal!

GoCougs

Quote from: Tave on September 24, 2017, 05:28:03 PM
Buying a 2011 RX for the purpose of getting her out of a 2010 4Runner seems like a bit of a head scratcher.

This thread just keeps on delivering.

Tave

Quote from: Lebowski on September 24, 2017, 06:36:21 PM
She was offered anything she wants up to a limit of ~$50k. If she ends up choosing a $20k used Lexus RX in gramma tan I'm not gonna be like "damn what a badge whore!"

So in other words it has nothing to do with "practicality" like you've been stating for 20 pages?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Lebowski

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Tave on September 24, 2017, 06:41:52 PM
The Touring she wants is 31K and will be worth like 10K after 6-7 years. I don't think depreciation and transaction fees on a used RX every 3-4 years will add up to 20K... quick look on CarGurus shows RXs losing about 5-7K in value from year 7 to year 10. And outside of technology a 7 year old RX is a nicer car than a brand new CR-V IMO.

And you have to keep things in the context of selling the M3. Buying new is always the worst way to go financially.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Lebowski

Quote from: Tave on September 24, 2017, 06:49:50 PM

So in other words it has nothing to do with "practicality" like you've been stating for 20 pages?

RX350 is a pretty damn practical car for a mother of two :huh:

Like I've been saying for 20 pages there's another person who's not a member of carspin making the final choice.

MrH

Quote from: Lebowski on September 24, 2017, 06:52:03 PM

Like I've been saying for 20 pages there's another person who's not a member of carspin making the final choice.

Is it r0tor? Did he quit the spin and gets the final say?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

AutobahnSHO

Will

AutobahnSHO

lol some of us get it, don't let the absurd fightiness wear on you.
Will

Tave

I was referring to the $50,000.00 budget you just cited.

Lebowski

Quote from: Tave on September 24, 2017, 07:57:34 PM

I was referring to the $50,000.00 budget you just cited.

:huh:

And you're the guy who earlier argued for keeping a far less practical, far more expensive luxury car I said I don't get enjoyment out of "because appreciation", right?

Tave

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 24, 2017, 06:50:31 PM
The Touring she wants is 31K and will be worth like 10K after 6-7 years. I don't think depreciation and transaction fees on a used RX every 3-4 years will add up to 20K... quick look on CarGurus shows RXs losing about 5-7K in value from year 7 to year 10. And outside of technology a 7 year old RX is a nicer car than a brand new CR-V IMO.

And you have to keep things in the context of selling the M3. Buying new is always the worst way to go financially.

He already said he doesn't care about depreciation and views it as a sunk cost. I tend to believe him, given that, for the last 20 pages, he was talking about spending ~$60,000.00 for a CR-V and 10,000 mile "rental" of an M3.  :huh:

Toyotas are fairly reliable but they aren't perpetual motion machines. One big repair bill and that 9K is essentially a wash.

Disagree on interior feels. Lexus makes solid vehicles but their materials, IMO, don't look or feel particularly upscale. I think Honda tends to make nicer interiors.

Lebowski

Lebowski

Quote from: Tave on September 24, 2017, 08:02:39 PM

He already said he doesn't care about depreciation and views it as a sunk cost. I tend to believe him, given that, for the last 20 pages, he was talking about spending ~$60,000.00 for a CR-V and 10,000 mile "rental" of an M3.  :huh:

Yeah, that's not how these decisions work.  But keep talking about "eating" depreciation, as if it's not money already gone.

Tave

Quote from: Lebowski on September 24, 2017, 08:02:02 PM

:huh:

And you're the guy who earlier argued for keeping a far less practical, far more expensive luxury car I said I don't get enjoyment out of "because appreciation", right?

I wasn't "arguing" for anything; I was playing Devil's advocate and pointing out that buying a brand new car after you just bought an M3 and ate 20-30K in depreciation wasn't the "practical" no-brainer you were characterizing it as. If you'd like to compound the blood loss even further and sink another 20K in a used luxury car, go ahead, it's not my money.  :huh:

MrH

Quote from: Lebowski on September 24, 2017, 08:02:41 PM

Shhh, don't spoil the surprise.

SPOILER ALERT: r0tor is actually Lady Lebowski this whole time. They couldn't agree on what to do, so they decided to argue publicly on here to let the people decide who's right.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Lebowski

Quote from: Tave on September 24, 2017, 08:09:29 PM

I wasn't "arguing" for anything; I was playing Devil's advocate and pointing out that buying a brand new car after you just bought an M3 and ate 20-30K in depreciation wasn't the "practical" no-brainer you were characterizing it as. If you'd like to compound the blood loss even further and sink another 20K in a used luxury car, go ahead, it's not my money.  :huh:

The argument you are very much making is inaccurate and irrational.  The ~$20k or so in depreciation has already been chewed, swallowed, and digested.  It's gone, BMW isn't going to mail me a check for continuing to drive a car I no longer want.

If you're worried about depreication (going forward, which is what counts), a $20k 6 y/o used Lexus will face significantly less of it per year and per mile than either a 3 y/o ~$50k BMW or any of the new cars seriously discussed ITT.

On practicality ... um, not sure what you're trying to get at here, of course an RX sized CUV is more practical for a family with 2 kids and 2 dogs than an M sedan :huh:

No blood lost here at all and no regrets, just realigning to fit a significant change of household wants and needs.

68_427

I've never been in a Honda that felt as nice as even a 5 year old Lexus IS.  Also the CR-V and RX350 will be worth the same amount of money in 5 years.  Yes the technology is better in the CR-V but the RX IMO is totally worthy of being considered for $10k less, and 50k miles is really only two years of service with the amount of miles she drives so it's not like buying a 5 year old car equates to the car lasting 5 years less time.  Also does she really need the technology that comes in a new car?  Nav on the Lexus will be outdated, but she's probably on her iPhone or whatever anyways, if the Lexus has cooled seats they are actually cooled and not "ventilated", the quality of the seats is just better, and if it has the Mark Levinson sound system it fucking bangs.  If you take infotainment out of the equation the RX is a nicer car.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Lebowski

Eh, IMO CRV interior is as nice maybe even a bit nicer.  I'd think things like sound system CRV ahead too (don't think my moms has upgraded sound).

Otherwise totally agree with you. 50k miles for a Toyota /Lexus or Honda is not "old" and is not something I have any qualms owning off warranty. And yeah, after a few years they'd both be worth about the same.  The likelihood the RX would offset the ~$11-$12k diff in initial cost in gas and repairs is extremely remote, IMO.

Raza

Have you given any thought to a Porsche Boxster towing two Radio Flyer red wagons with child seats installed in them?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Lebowski

Quote from: Raza  on September 25, 2017, 08:19:26 AM

Have you given any thought to a Porsche Boxster towing two Radio Flyer red wagons with child seats installed in them?

Rotor suggested that very thing on page 4.

MrH

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo