EVs

Started by Morris Minor, November 08, 2018, 04:03:12 AM

giant_mtb

Walking to/from the bus stop and riding the bus was when me and the other neighborhood kids had a chance to talk shit and make after-school plans away from our parents, as we were spread out across a few years in school so never really interacted during the school day.

But I guess all the 9 year olds just have iPhones now, so.

r0tor

There are also a shit ton more before and after school activities that occur that force parent drop offs / pick ups then there use to be.   When I was in school that mainly revolved around sports but now at my kids school there are probably 50 other non sport related clubs that meet before/after classes
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Morris Minor

Range Rovers are in a unique aspirational place. Not big, not particularly Cadillac-gaudy, not commonplace German. They're British (somewhat), driven by the Royals, and there's still a tweedy, green wellies aristocratic vibe to them.
So when you're dropping Oliver & Charlotte off, nothing quite makes the same statement as a Range Rover. The closest I can think of is a Volvo XC90.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on December 03, 2019, 10:24:39 PM
EV school buses would be a travesty. Literally ~50% of my exorbitant property taxes goes to the local school district. Around here it's a big status thing to drive your kids to school (yes, really) so the school buses I'm sure are underutilized anyway.

As a curiosity,  how much are your total property taxes per year?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

GoCougs

I wanna say $4,500 - $5,000/year.

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on December 05, 2019, 01:59:35 PM
I wanna say $4,500 - $5,000/year.

That's less than half of what I pay.   :rage:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: dazzleman on December 05, 2019, 05:17:27 PM

I pay about $470 for my house. :partyon:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Shop is aboot $1,400 a year.  They split it into two bills, summer and winter. Summer is due in September, winter is due in February. Summer is around $850, winter is around $550.  It varies because of the school year, or something.

GoCougs

Quote from: dazzleman on December 05, 2019, 05:17:27 PM

I've got a ~1,350 sq. ft. home on a ~6,000 sq. ft lot, so there's that ;).

giant_mtb

Quote from: GoCougs on December 05, 2019, 10:14:45 PM

I am sorry, but you should not be winky-face bragging about the size of your property if you have to measure it in square feet. Barely over 1/10th of an acre. :wtf: My shop property has more than that and it's downtown. And nearly the same square footage.

veeman

The new $10,000 property tax deduction cap that Trump/Congress enacted has had a big effect on wealthy areas of high property tax states like New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut.  This however may lead to less Range Rover purchases leading to less Range Rovers in school drop off lines.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 05, 2019, 10:27:36 PM
I am sorry, but you should not be winky-face bragging about the size of your property if you have to measure it in square feet. Barely over 1/10th of an acre. :wtf: My shop property has more than that and it's downtown. And nearly the same square footage.

I don't think he was bragging, I think he was making the point that his taxes are that high with a modest house on a modest property.

FWIW, the rental house I own is ~1200 sq ft on ~0.25 acres and I paid ~5015 in taxes during 2019, so its in the same ballpark. On my residence I paid closer to ~5800 but it is a bigger house (@2100 sq ft + 560 sq ft attached garage) on more land (~0.4 acres I think).

MrH

But did you see his carport...?  Yeah, didn't think so chump.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on December 06, 2019, 07:06:05 AM
But did you see his carport...?  Yeah, didn't think so chump.

:lol:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

dazzleman

He's not bragging.  He's saying how small it is.

GoCougs

Jesus.

FoMoJo

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on December 05, 2019, 10:14:45 PM

It's not the size of the home, it's the value.

I'm in a condo, which in NY is tax advantaged so I pay relatively little property tax.  If my place were re-classified as a townhouse, I'd probably be paying somewhere around $3500/yr.  On a property worth ~$100K-110K.

My brother's old place a few miles away is similar to yours in size.  ~1,250 sqft house on a ~7,500 sqft plot.  That property's tax assessment is listed at $4700, though taxes paid were around $3700 (NY has a tax reduction program for primary residences).  The property's value is listed somewhere between $130K and $140K on various RE websites.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on December 07, 2019, 09:34:47 AM
It's not the size of the home, it's the value.

I'm in a condo, which in NY is tax advantaged so I pay relatively little property tax.  If my place were re-classified as a townhouse, I'd probably be paying somewhere around $3500/yr.  On a property worth ~$100K-110K.

My brother's old place a few miles away is similar to yours in size.  ~1,250 sqft house on a ~7,500 sqft plot.  That property's tax assessment is listed at $4700, though taxes paid were around $3700 (NY has a tax reduction program for primary residences).  The property's value is listed somewhere between $130K and $140K on various RE websites.

Actually, property taxes are not defined by the value of the property (or, at least not in WA state and in particular my county, and I'm guessing many other locales). During the Great Recession, when property market values dropped 20-40% around here, property taxes dipped only slightly (like 5%). As of now, my assessment is 50-60% of market value.

Property taxes are defined by county spending and the property's relative value (= assessment). This assessment is a relative comparison to other properties in the county. For example, let's say county spending is to be $1MM, and there are 1,000 homes in the county, and the levy is 1%. That means the average property assessment (not value) is $100,000. Assessments will vary on property size, improvements, etc., but that is not the same as value.

MX793

Based on relative value is still value based ;)
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on December 07, 2019, 10:41:35 AM
Based on relative value is still value based ;)

No, it's an assessment and county spending, that defines property tax.

CaminoRacer

I think that's how they do it here. And there is/was a cap on local government budget/spending so property taxes have actually been falling for years as more people build homes so the individual contribution is lowered

GoCougs

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 07, 2019, 03:15:43 PM
I think that's how they do it here. And there is/was a cap on local government budget/spending so property taxes have actually been falling for years as more people build homes so the individual contribution is lowered

In my area, "increasing the tax base" is a common reason for allowing ever more construction. Property taxes still go up of course; perhaps not as much as they otherwise would? Who knows.

FoMoJo

r0tor

Oooouch... Porsche Taycan only got certified by the EPA for a 200 mile range
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

CaminoRacer

Quote from: r0tor on December 11, 2019, 05:30:41 PM
Oooouch... Porsche Taycan only got certified by the EPA for a 200 mile range

Considering how much power it has, I'm not surprised. Also sounds like it doesn't take advantage of regen. I know it doesn't do 1 pedal driving but I'm not sure if the brake pedal activates regen before the hydraulic brakes like other EVs do.