6 Points!!!

Started by cozmik, January 27, 2006, 12:53:23 PM

cozmik

So today I had to get my driving record because it was needed for an application I put in for employment. When I got it, I was shocked to find that I have 6 points on my license! I got 4 from a ticket in VA for 12 over! WTF?! 12 over! It was on I95! I was lucking I didn't get crushed by the 18 wheeler behind me!

That's fucked up. 12 over should be like 1 point, maybe 2!

:rage:

I also think that job is probably not going to happen now because of it! I stood inline for 45 minutes at the DMV, paid $15 for them to print out a sheet of paper, and delt with political propagandists and now it looks like the 6 undeserved points are going to keep me from being employed!

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

Run Away

Yikes.

I got 2 points for going 84 in a 60 (kph).

TBR

Does the record show that you were only going 12 over?

TurboDan

They're brutal in VA.  Probably the most driver-unfriendly state in the union.  I believe if you're 15 or more over, they will automatically charge with reckless driving.  It's insane.  In addition, it's the only state (DC too, but it's not a state) that has outlawed radar detectors.  

I'm surprised it showed up on your record - I guess DE and VA have a reciprocity agreement.

93JC

That sucks. Sucks even more that you had to wait 45 minutes in the DMV for it.

(I don't mean to rub it in your face, but coincidentally I had to get a copy of my driving record for a job application of my own on Wednesday. I was in and out of the registry in a couple minutes (literally two minutes), set me back about $20, and my record is spotless.)

cozmik

QuoteDoes the record show that you were only going 12 over?
The record actually shows that I was going 10 over. I remember it was 12 though.

I sure hope they ar generous about this and it doesn't keep me from getting this job. I really need a job since I lost mine a month ago and such.

:banghead:  :rage:  

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

TBR

Hopefully they look at more than just the points, I have a hard time believing that they will blame you too much for going just 10 over, especially considering the road.

Do you have to drive for this job?

mazda6er

QuoteHopefully they look at more than just the points, I have a hard time believing that they will blame you too much for going just 10 over, especially considering the road.

I would highly doubt that. Cosmic is white-collar, I believe. But employers do look at stuff like license history anyway.

Bummer about the points man. Hope everything works out for you.  :wave:  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

cozmik

QuoteHopefully they look at more than just the points, I have a hard time believing that they will blame you too much for going just 10 over, especially considering the road.

I would highly doubt that. Cosmic is white-collar, I believe. But employers do look at stuff like license history anyway.

The position I would be working, if I get the job, is Internet Sales Manager for a car dealer.

93JC

QuoteI would highly doubt that. Cosmic is white-collar, I believe.
I'm white-collar, and the job I'm applying for would require me to drive to field sites to gather instrument readings. :mellow:

Tom

Whoah whoah, if you are qualified for the job and you explain the circumstances behind the bullshit ticket they should be fine with it.  If not than you don't want to work for those JOs anyway.

bobwill

Car dealership, sales manager, heck they might look at the 6 points and say wow, this guy likes driving fast, he's perfect. :D

L. ed foote

People have hired me with my driving record (with more speeding tickets and suspensions than I care to admit to), so I wouldn't sweat it too much
Member, Self Preservation Society

TBR

So what? A lot of white collar people have to drive for work.  

Raza

The record actually shows that I was going 10 over. I remember it was 12 though.

I sure hope they ar generous about this and it doesn't keep me from getting this job. I really need a job since I lost mine a month ago and such.

Unless you're a limo driver, I don't see why your driving record would have any affect on your chances.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

People hire me, and I kill people, sell cocaine, and keep a shovel in the trunk.

Just one ticket, though.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

bobwill

QuotePeople hire me, and I kill people, sell cocaine, and keep a shovel in the trunk.

Just one ticket, though.
So, you mean that time I met you and you said that you had just been pigging out on jelly doughnuts, and that's why you were covered in granulated sugar, and jelly filling you were.... :D

dazzleman

The position I would be working, if I get the job, is Internet Sales Manager for a car dealer.
Cosmic, I doubt they'd be too concerned about a couple of innocuous tickets.

My company does background checks and a DMV record is part of that.  Still, I never saw anybody rejected for the job because of a couple of routine tickets.  Some of the guys I work with get tickets every so often, and it has no effect on their employment.  I honestly think a bad credit report would be more damaging.

Routine traffic tickets are a 'crime' without social stigma.  Just about everybody can relate to a guy getting some tickets; few people have been without them, especially if they're young men who are working in an auto-related job.  Guys who are interested in cars get tickets at a far higher rate than the general population, and will hardly be scandalized by the fact that you got a couple.  If a car dealer wouldn't hire you over a couple of routine speeding tickets, I'd have to question what type of people they'd be to work for.

Rest easy, man.  It's no big deal.  Points don't change your life.  Just ask yourself this question -- before you knew about these points, had they affected your life in any way?  If they didn't affect you before, there's no reason they should affect you after you find out.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Lebowski

Cosmic, I highly doubt the ticket will prevent you from getting the job.  Don't sweat it.

Raza

QuotePeople hire me, and I kill people, sell cocaine, and keep a shovel in the trunk.

Just one ticket, though.
So, you mean that time I met you and you said that you had just been pigging out on jelly doughnuts, and that's why you were covered in granulated sugar, and jelly filling you were.... :D
Yes.  I'd killed someone, done a key of coke, and buried him in your backyard.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Laconian

I don't think it will hurt your chances either.

I just had to turn in my driving history for my background check and I asked the HR woman if a few infractions hurt my chances of employment.

Basically she said that it's just standard background check procedure done by the company that contracts with them. They check EVERYTHING. If you're given the offer, the company wants you and has invested time and money in finding you. It's their loss if you slip through the cracks. They're not going to rescind because of some nonsequiter BS that doesn't affect them.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

dazzleman

QuoteI don't think it will hurt your chances either.

I just had to turn in my driving history for my background check and I asked the HR woman if a few infractions hurt my chances of employment.

Basically she said that it's just standard background check procedure done by the company that contracts with them. They check EVERYTHING. If you're given the offer, the company wants you and has invested time and money in finding you. It's their loss if you slip through the cracks. They're not going to rescind because of some nonsequiter BS that doesn't affect them.
Good point that I failed to make, Laconian.

Companies don't do background checks during the interview process to decide between candidates.  They do background checks after they have selected you as their candidate.  Therefore, they already have a lot invested in you, have generally ruled out other people at that point, and generally aren't going to let something that really isn't a big deal affect their choice.

A DMV check is pretty routine, and if they found 3 DWIs or something like that, that would definitely affect you, but routine speeding tickets are pretty innocuous, unless the job involves driving in a car that they insure.  In that case, they'll care a little more, but even then, I'm not sure a couple of routine tickets would always be fatal.  That would be more of a judgment call.

Cosmic -- I didn't realize you had lost your job.  I wish you a lot of luck in finding a new one that you really like.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

hounddog

You should do your speeding in Michigan.  Here it is only 2 points, and 135 bucks.  Our state just wants the dough!  
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

TBR

Like the other states don't? They just have the long term in mind, surely it costs a fair amount to get a license reinstated. ;)

dazzleman

I only got one point for my last speeding ticket.  And the only reason I got that point was that I went to court to fight the ticket.  If you just mail the sucker in, you get no points.

Connecticut has a very strange system of tracking problem drivers.  There are two ways to get into trouble -- points and persistent violations.  Some people get confused because it says on the back of the ticket that if you mail in the fine with a guilty plea, you get no points.  They think this means the ticket won't be held against them, but it's not true.  There is a second clause relating to persistent careless driving, or something like that, that prescribes license suspension or revocation for getting a certain number of tickets within a certain period, regardless of points.  So you can lose your license even without points.

I didn't care about the point because it would be almost impossible for me to ever accumulate the 10 points that lead to license suspension.  I don't do the heavy point stuff, like passing stopped school buses.  I only speed, and that's 1 or 2 points in most cases.

Tom

Quotepassing stopped school buses.
Oh is that tempting!

Raza

Quotepassing stopped school buses.
Oh is that tempting!
The trick is to get them when they're slowing down and the flashing yellows are on. Once the flashing reds start, you have to stop.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

850CSi

You forgot fornicating... With other men's wives.

cozmik

I got the call today. No job. They didn't say anything about the points, it was that I had 3 tickets period. Said they wanted to hire me but can't until May when the one ticket drops off my record due to how their insurance works with sales people.  :banghead:  

IrishGuy

QuoteI got the call today. No job. They didn't say anything about the points, it was that I had 3 tickets period. Said they wanted to hire me but can't until May when the one ticket drops off my record due to how their insurance works with sales people.  :banghead:
Wow - sorry to hear that :(  
2022 Toyota 4Runner Limited