Got an EV6

Started by Laconian, September 24, 2022, 12:05:09 PM

afty

In my Model 3 I can give a voice command "Send feedback."

Morris Minor

Quote from: afty on March 15, 2023, 11:33:25 PM
In my Model 3 I can give a voice command "Send feedback."
Do you have FSD? I'd heard they've introduced voice annotation of interventions on the latest version but did not know there was a general feedback option.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

afty

Quote from: Morris Minor on March 16, 2023, 02:18:35 PM
Do you have FSD? I'd heard they've introduced voice annotation of interventions on the latest version but did not know there was a general feedback option.
No, no FSD.  I got the voice command wrong, it's actually "bug report." 

Morris Minor

There was an EV6 following me out of the community this morning, unmistakable & very distinctive - KIA's really got the styling right IMO. I like the EV9 too.

Laconian

Quote from: afty on March 16, 2023, 03:28:50 PM
No, no FSD.  I got the voice command wrong, it's actually "bug report." 

I don't think Kia offers that. In general they seem to behind Tesla in terms of offering Internet-connected device functionality. I had to "OTA" the car with a thumb drive. :rage:

Quote from: Morris Minor on March 16, 2023, 08:01:27 PM
There was an EV6 following me out of the community this morning, unmistakable & very distinctive - KIA's really got the styling right IMO. I like the EV9 too.

The EV6 styling stole my heart from the second I saw it in a magazine. I showed it to my husband who gave a dismissive response but I think that was him trying to appear more erudite than he actually is. :lol: When we actually DROVE the car he did a 180 and now it's his favorite car in the world.  What's really unusual about the EV6 is how the styling completely obfuscates the size of the car. In pictures and from a distance the car looks like a sporty small hatch. As you approach it sinks in just how long and wide the car actually is. The fenders and rear haunches are very prominent. The impression changes from "cute and sporty" to "shit, this thing's gonna pounce me".

Also I really enjoy the youthful low roofline. Even if it excludes Mike from the EV6 club.

The EV9 looks good for what it is, but "big 'n boxy SUV" is not really a segment that interests me.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on March 16, 2023, 08:50:25 PM
"shit, this thing's gonna pounce me".
Great description - that's what the one I saw looked like in the mirror.

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on March 16, 2023, 08:50:25 PM
I don't think Kia offers that. In general they seem to behind Tesla in terms of offering Internet-connected device functionality. I had to "OTA" the car with a thumb drive. :rage:

The EV6 styling stole my heart from the second I saw it in a magazine. I showed it to my husband who gave a dismissive response but I think that was him trying to appear more erudite than he actually is. :lol: When we actually DROVE the car he did a 180 and now it's his favorite car in the world.  What's really unusual about the EV6 is how the styling completely obfuscates the size of the car. In pictures and from a distance the car looks like a sporty small hatch. As you approach it sinks in just how long and wide the car actually is. The fenders and rear haunches are very prominent. The impression changes from "cute and sporty" to "shit, this thing's gonna pounce me".

Also I really enjoy the youthful low roofline. Even if it excludes Mike from the EV6 club.

The EV9 looks good for what it is, but "big 'n boxy SUV" is not really a segment that interests me.

:fogey:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Morris Minor

Quote from: MrH on March 17, 2023, 07:50:06 AM
:fogey:
:lol:

(Mazda's "OTA" procedure for its infotainment. You download the update file from a sharing site set up by a rogue service technician in New Zealand. Put it on a USB flash drive. Do some strange button invocation to bring up the service menu, and install it from there. All the while shitting your kecks that you might be bricking the car.
Or you can go to the dealer and pay them $400 plus tax to do it)

afty

Did you guys see the EV9 reveal? That thing is huge -- about the size of a Telluride!  And doesn't look very aerodynamic.  Range will likely be between 250-300 miles, and pricing $50-70k. 

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a43316157/2024-kia-ev9-revealed/

CaminoRacer

I'd be curious to see the efficiency loss for every 5 mph over 65 mph in the EV9 vs. an EV6/Model 3/Bolt
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Morris Minor

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 17, 2023, 09:29:26 AM
I'd be curious to see the efficiency loss for every 5 mph over 65 mph in the EV9 vs. an EV6/Model 3/Bolt
Our addiction to the side-of-a-barn aerodynamics of SUVs collides with the current reality of EVs' battery storage density.

veeman

I predict the EV9 will sell like hotcakes.  50 to 70 grand is standard pricing for near luxury or even some luxury large 3 row SUVs and the gas hog stigma of them would be eliminated with this EV. This gets the well to do soccer mom a seat at the green cred table.  There are currently no competitors in the EV world for large 3 row SUVs that don't cost over 100 grand.   

This is what GM should have made instead of the two row similar cost Cadillac Lyric and over 100 grand GMC Hummer EV. 

afty

I agree, I think it's going to be a hit. 

CaminoRacer

Quote from: veeman on March 17, 2023, 12:44:02 PM
This is what GM should have made instead of the two row similar cost Cadillac Lyric and over 100 grand GMC Hummer EV. 

I think GM intentionally wanted to launch their new batteries in low-selling vehicles as they scale the production up. Although it is a bit surprising they haven't announced any future plans for a 3 row SUV yet, only the Blazer, Equinox, and Silverado so far.

Morris Minor

The margins are in the big vehicles. Start off with those and use the profits to build out smaller & more affordable products, which is why Ford had the right idea in starting out with the F150 Lightning.
I'm surprised GM didn't kick off with an electric Silverado or Tahoe. Instead they started off with the opposite, the Bolt, which is a great vehicle but AFAIK is not profitable.

Laconian

There is a chicken and egg effect though. Acceptance of EVs requires the existence of infrastructure and there isn't going to be much infrastructure built up to accommodate a few rich niche car buyers. The Bolt makes sense if you think of it as a demand primer.

r0tor

Quote from: afty on March 17, 2023, 09:25:40 AM
Did you guys see the EV9 reveal? That thing is huge -- about the size of a Telluride!  And doesn't look very aerodynamic.  Range will likely be between 250-300 miles, and pricing $50-70k. 

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a43316157/2024-kia-ev9-revealed/

Like the F150, the range will probably come from a very large battery which combined with non Tesla infrastructure charge speeds makes it fairly intolerable outside of daily activities (assuming home charging).
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Laconian

Quote from: r0tor on March 17, 2023, 03:51:57 PM
Like the F150, the range will probably come from a very large battery which combined with non Tesla infrastructure charge speeds makes it fairly intolerable outside of daily activities (assuming home charging).

Looks like it'll have a 100kWh option for "extended range", so yes. It's teetering on the threshold of "need more battery to haul more battery". :lol:

It is 65 degrees and sunny out for the first time this year. Took the Miata out and enjoyed the hell out of it. Both are excellent cars but the MX5 really is the EV6's opposite in so many ways. It's nice to have a diversified stable.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on March 17, 2023, 04:58:46 PM
Looks like it'll have a 100kWh option for "extended range", so yes. It's teetering on the threshold of "need more battery to haul more battery". :lol:

It is 65 degrees and sunny out for the first time this year. Took the Miata out and enjoyed the hell out of it. Both are excellent cars but the MX5 really is the EV6's opposite in so many ways. It's nice to have a diversified stable.

There's a new guy in my office, he's a car guy. :rockon: He drives a Genesis, we talked the other day about how y'all called it a "couch rocket". He agrees. :lol:

Anyway we ended up today talking a little with him and the guy who had a Volt but 'upgraded' to a Tesla, but he's not a car guy at all- about the Venn diagram where minivan and Miata overlap.
Me: Fun fact, Odyssey makes a decent Miata tow vehicle.
Tesla guy: They overlap because if you have a Miata you still need a family car.

All that to say, I greatly enjoy a very diversified stable, too!! I'd get a Bolt or similar to fill that middle (bad weather commuter car) slot but wife is scared of running out of juice.
Will

Laconian

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 17, 2023, 08:18:20 PM
wife is scared of running out of juice.

It's not an issue at all if you have at-home charging and you're not going on road trips with it. For errands it's actually more convenient than gas cars because you're never in a situation where you pull out of the driveway and realize that you need to get to a gas station ASAP.

Laconian

Anyways, it's worth waiting a generation if you're in no hurry. Lithium iron phosphate batteries are finally rolling out and they're going to make for better long term workhorses than lithium ion.

Laconian

Installed the Stealth hitch receiver. Essentially it's a solution that allows you to mount and unmount the actual receptacle as needed. I'm glad we have this and not a fixed receiver because the car is so long and so low that the hitch really impairs the car's exit angle. Literally less than an inch of daylight under the receiver when I drive up my driveway perpendicularly. If I had a couple people in the car it would probably drag. So the lesson is: when the hitch is installed, hit big slopes at an angle. And take off the receiver when I don't actually need it.

CaminoRacer

Leave it installed, send it on every curb. Makes sparks like a racecar.

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Get one of those big 3-ball hitches and drag it everywhere
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

Soup DeVille

Yeyah.

That's super low.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Laconian

I literally had a range anxiety nightmare last night. I have never had any range issues and never had to DCFC the car, but my subconscious made it out to be a horrible experience. And even though I was topping it up to 100% on my app, the car only registered 10-15 miles of range. LOL

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on March 21, 2023, 01:21:54 PM
I literally had a range anxiety nightmare last night. I have never had any range issues and never had to DCFC the car, but my subconscious made it out to be a horrible experience. And even though I was topping it up to 100% on my app, the car only registered 10-15 miles of range. LOL

Needs a new fuel level sensor. It's usually part of the fuel pump module assembly.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

afty

My Model 3 is quite low as well, I assume for aerodynamics.  I wonder if this is just how things are going to be in the EV future.