Why I'm not a professional mechanic

Started by AutobahnSHO, January 06, 2007, 06:48:51 PM

S204STi

Quote from: rohan on January 14, 2007, 07:33:15 AM
Do you know how expensive tools are- good ones like mechanics buy not the cheap ones like we buy?  I don't but I know the guy who was looking at the mods on my car for me said his tool box- jus tthe tool box was $12,000 - that's American dollars not Pesos.  I can't even imagine how much a lift would be- $5 an hour wouldn't even pay your electric bill.

I figure a good lift is a few thousand dollars.  My tool box, which is relatively small, cost me $1700 dollars (it's  a SnapOn) but new it cost the original owner somewhere around $3000.  I have probably a couple of thousand dollars at least in tools inside of it.  Being a mechanic is very expensive. :(

TheIntrepid

Quote from: R-inge on January 14, 2007, 09:34:50 AM
I figure a good lift is a few thousand dollars.  My tool box, which is relatively small, cost me $1700 dollars (it's  a SnapOn) but new it cost the original owner somewhere around $3000.  I have probably a couple of thousand dollars at least in tools inside of it.  Being a mechanic is very expensive. :(

I use the dealership. They do all this for me... and all they ask for are a few bills that say 100 on them and perhaps a piece of plastic known as a credit card.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: rohan on January 14, 2007, 07:33:15 AM
Do you know how expensive tools are- good ones like mechanics buy not the cheap ones like we buy?? I don't but I know the guy who was looking at the mods on my car for me said his tool box- jus tthe tool box was $12,000 - that's American dollars not Pesos.? I can't even imagine how much a lift would be- $5 an hour wouldn't even pay your electric bill.
Oh I'm WELL AWARE of how lucky I am. Honestly the garage is the best Army benefit behind free medical coverage..

You can get cheap lifts for a grand or two- my dream house has one in it..
Will

rohan

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 14, 2007, 10:34:41 AM
Oh I'm WELL AWARE of how lucky I am. Honestly the garage is the best Army benefit behind free medical coverage..

You can get cheap lifts for a grand or two- my dream house has one in it..
You can get a cheap lift - but would you trust your life on it?  A grand or 2 for something that picks up a car doesn't sound very good deal to me- safety wise.  And I'll be lucky if I ever get to own a house!  Just a poor dumb cop you know! :lol: :pullover:
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

heelntoe

yeah, buying a relatively expensive car and cheaping out on a lift is not a good idea. puus, you might be under this lift and car to do some maintenance. i'm sure your life is worth a lot more than that.
@heelntoe

TBR

Quote from: The Pirate on January 13, 2007, 11:22:04 PM
Yeah, but $250 for a timing belt change isn't a bad price at all.  Even if you were going to sell it, I'd get it done, and save the record to show a potential buyer.  I had the dealer change mine before I bought it.

I'll probably do that in a couple of months, it is this rear main seal that bothers me.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: rohan on January 14, 2007, 11:13:24 AM
You can get a cheap lift - but would you trust your life on it?? A grand or 2 for something that picks up a car doesn't sound very good deal to me- safety wise.? And I'll be lucky if I ever get to own a house!? Just a poor dumb cop you know! :lol: :pullover:
Yes, I would- the manufacturers obviously don't wan to get sued, so make sure it won't break on you.
There was another thread about a month ago with people that have 5+ exotic cars in their garages- one used a lift like this type, keeping a Porsche up and another expensive car under it: http://www.americanautomotiveequipment.com/Storage-Lifts-s/48.htm

This one looks almost exactly like what I use at the garage: http://www.americanautomotiveequipment.com/2-Post-Lifts-p/tp7a.htm
There's an electric motor that lifts the arms then there are locks that automatically engage (really loud CLICKS as it goes up,) that you have to physically disengage before it will come down, even if you push the down button..
Will

heelntoe

so if it does go bad, it will get stuck not come crashing down? that's safe enough for me.
@heelntoe

The Pirate

Quote from: heelntoe on January 14, 2007, 01:55:50 PM
so if it does go bad, it will get stuck not come crashing down? that's safe enough for me.

Yeah, even if the hydraulics fail, there is a mechanical backup.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

S204STi

Quote from: The Pirate on January 14, 2007, 01:56:54 PM

Yeah, even if the hydraulics fail, there is a mechanical backup.

There's also the risk that the actual frame (posts or lift arms) could fail.  I've seen some ugly pics.

J86

Quote from: R-inge on January 10, 2007, 06:39:36 PM
I don't even have to jack mine to do it. :praise:

Same, I love it!

Changing the oil is a dream in that car...much better than the Accord, which had a sideways filter...

S204STi

Quote from: J86 on January 14, 2007, 07:21:33 PM
Same, I love it!

Changing the oil is a dream in that car...much better than the Accord, which had a sideways filter...

Those are a bit tough to get at without it being in the air. 

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: R-inge on January 14, 2007, 07:14:55 PM
There's also the risk that the actual frame (posts or lift arms) could fail.? I've seen some ugly pics.
Don't tell me this- the ones I work under were probably purchased from the 'lowest bidder'.  :confused:
Will

S204STi

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 14, 2007, 08:18:36 PM
Don't tell me this- the ones I work under were probably purchased from the 'lowest bidder'.  :confused:

The ones I have seen pics of failing are the ones Classic Car nuts use to store two cars stacked one above the other.  One post collapsed, dropping the car on top onto the one on the bottom, crushing part of it.  I am sure the ones at the Army shop are a bit meatier than that.  I am thinking more for the DIYer with his home garage when I warn of lift failure.

J86

Quote from: R-inge on January 14, 2007, 07:47:18 PM
Those are a bit tough to get at without it being in the air.?

I always put that car up...I couldn't crawl far enough underneath to reach the oil pan otherwise.

TBR

Quote from: R-inge on January 14, 2007, 10:08:58 PM
The ones I have seen pics of failing are the ones Classic Car nuts use to store two cars stacked one above the other.  One post collapsed, dropping the car on top onto the one on the bottom, crushing part of it.  I am sure the ones at the Army shop are a bit meatier than that.  I am thinking more for the DIYer with his home garage when I warn of lift failure.

Those lifts are also of completely different designs, work lifts distrubute weight far better I am sure.

J86

One of my relatives had a garage that he built a pit in...drive the car over, hop in the pit, and work away.

Raghavan

Quote from: J86 on January 14, 2007, 10:13:03 PM
One of my relatives had a garage that he built a pit in...drive the car over, hop in the pit, and work away.
I've seen morons crash into the pit instead. :lol:
Plus they're way more expensive. You've got to dig out a ton of space and then have your tools and stuff in there.

J86

Quote from: Raghavan on January 14, 2007, 10:14:10 PM
Plus they're way more expensive. You've got to dig out a ton of space and then have your tools and stuff in there.

The house was built in 1909...garage built sometime in the 50s...different time!

The Pirate

Yeah, I have to put my Honda on ramps to do the oil.  I can get to the drain plug somewhat easily, but the filter is tough to get to.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

ro51092

:lol: :lol:

TBR

Quote from: The Pirate on January 14, 2007, 10:17:35 PM
Yeah, I have to put my Honda on ramps to do the oil.  I can get to the drain plug somewhat easily, but the filter is tough to get to.

Suck it up, I managed to do it and I can't imagine that your filter is any easier to get to. :P

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: R-inge on January 14, 2007, 10:08:58 PM
The ones I have seen pics of failing are the ones Classic Car nuts use to store two cars stacked one above the other.? One post collapsed, dropping the car on top onto the one on the bottom, crushing part of it.? I am sure the ones at the Army shop are a bit meatier than that.? I am thinking more for the DIYer with his home garage when I warn of lift failure.
I would get one more like this http://www.americanautomotiveequipment.com/2-Post-Lifts-p/tp7a.htm

When you work under the car a pit is somewhat inconvenient because your room/access is limited, even if you still jack the wheels up/remove them.  (We had them in the "motor pool" at work in Germany for getting under trucks/humvees.)
Will

heelntoe

yep there were a couple of videos floating around. i'll see if i can find them.
@heelntoe

sparkplug

Every since my dad got that lift it has been a time saver.

You want to be careful and not get one too cheap.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatDsp?storeId=6970&N=89+297068&Ne=2

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: sparkplug on January 15, 2007, 04:46:20 PM
Every since my dad got that lift it has been a time saver.

You want to be careful and not get one too cheap.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatDsp?storeId=6970&N=89+297068&Ne=2
Once I FINALLY can afford it, I'm sure I'll shop around and check out safety, ease of use, and price. In that order.
Will

SaltyDog

Quote from: The Pirate on January 14, 2007, 10:17:35 PM

I've had hellish times getting oil filters out.  One thing that I find helps if it's in tight and in a tough location is putting a big screwdriver throught it and twisting.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

Danish

Quote from: SaltyDog on January 15, 2007, 05:51:35 PM
I've had hellish times getting oil filters out.  One thing that I find helps if it's in tight and in a tough location is putting a big screwdriver throught it and twisting.

Doesn't that cause oil to leak everywhere? :huh:

Not to be correcting or anything, but one of my old auto shop teachers once told me that you should never do that - because the walls of the filter are thin and can easily tear. Once it tears, it is hell to get the filter off because you have nowhere to place a screwdriver/filter wrench. The reinforcement at the top of the filter is so that you can apply torque with a wrench and get the thing off.
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Danish on January 16, 2007, 05:07:51 PM
Doesn't that cause oil to leak everywhere? :huh:

Not to be correcting or anything, but one of my old auto shop teachers once told me that you should never do that - because the walls of the filter are thin and can easily tear. Once it tears, it is hell to get the filter off because you have nowhere to place a screwdriver/filter wrench. The reinforcement at the top of the filter is so that you can apply torque with a wrench and get the thing off.
Yes and your auto teacher was right.

But I had to use a screwdriver once- if you stick the screwdrive all the way through the center, it works. Messy, but it works.
Will

S204STi

I did that once, and it is pretty much my last resort.  Now I just have a variety of filter cups and wrenches and band wrenches that do the job quite well.  Having the variety gives you more options than the "skewer" approach.