Why I'm not a professional mechanic

Started by AutobahnSHO, January 06, 2007, 06:48:51 PM

etypeJohn

Quote from: Raghavan on January 14, 2007, 10:14:10 PM
I've seen morons crash into the pit instead. :lol:
Plus they're way more expensive. You've got to dig out a ton of space and then have your tools and stuff in there.

Plus it can collect explosive gases that are heavier than air (gasoline, propane, ect).   And you often times will need some kind of sump drain and I suspect most permitting offices would have a problem with that because of the potential for environmentally unfriendly liquids being pupmed into either the sanitary or storm sewer system.  A pit also really rstricts the usefullness of a home garage.  You always have this gaping hole to contend with.

etypeJohn

Quote from: R-inge on January 16, 2007, 07:20:33 PM
I did that once, and it is pretty much my last resort.? Now I just have a variety of filter cups and wrenches and band wrenches that do the job quite well.? Having the variety gives you more options than the "skewer" approach.

Avoid the mess by first punching a small hole in the filter at its lowest point and go have a beer while the oil drains into a pan. 

I once had a filter on so tight (factory installed on an 84 Camaro) that the band filter wrench just crushed the filter, the screwdriver just shredded the remains .  I had to take a chisel and hammer and work the filter loose by placing the business end of the chisel on the rolled lip of the filter and moving it a mm at a time with hammer blows. 

etypeJohn

Quote from: R-inge on January 16, 2007, 07:20:33 PM
I did that once, and it is pretty much my last resort.? Now I just have a variety of filter cups and wrenches and band wrenches that do the job quite well.? Having the variety gives you more options than the "skewer" approach.

The best type of oil filter wrench I have found.

FoMoJo

Quote from: etypeJohn on January 18, 2007, 07:40:57 AM
Plus it can collect explosive gases that are heavier than air (gasoline, propane, ect).? ?And you often times will need some kind of sump drain and I suspect most permitting offices would have a problem with that because of the potential for environmentally unfriendly liquids being pupmed into either the sanitary or storm sewer system.? A pit also really rstricts the usefullness of a home garage.? You always have this gaping hole to contend with.
I built a pit in my garage once a few years ago...it was the mid '60s...sold that house decades ago.

It seemed a good idea at the time and it, actually, worked out quite well.? It didn't cost much as I did all the work myself...breakin the cement floor, digging out the soil (mostly clay) and distributing it around the property.? It was roughly 4' x 8' and I planned on going down about 6' as I didn't want to have to stand in a stooped position under the car.? It went pretty well until I had a minor cave-in.? I decided to stop there and have a two level floor...once section was about 6' down and the other section was about 4' down.? It worked out better that way as the higher section served as a bit of a shelf when I needed to set stuff down.? I didn't bother with drainage as any fluids were drained into a pan.? I put down a concrete floor at the two levels including the rise.? Then I used 6" cement block for the perimeter walls.? All in all, it was very useful as I did most of the car repairs myself.? As well, I incorporated a 'lip' around the top perimeter so that I could cover the pit with 2" x 8" boards when not in use.? The boards were flush with the garage floor.

These days I would rather get a hoist.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 18, 2007, 09:02:56 AM
I built a pit in my garage once a few years ago...it was the mid '60s...sold that house decades ago

Cool!
How did it affect the property value/ "sellability" of the house??
Will

FoMoJo

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 18, 2007, 09:37:19 AM
Cool!
How did it affect the property value/ "sellability" of the house??
The guy who bought it wasn't really interested in cars so he just filled it back in.? One thing I regretted though was that I had left the dissasembled engine from a '57 Studebaker Silverhawk (289 V8) in the garage...I had no place to store it...and the guy used it as part of the fill :(!? So...if anyone is looking for an engine for a '57 Studebaker, I know where to find one...but it might be a bit rusty.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 18, 2007, 10:21:31 AM
The guy who bought it wasn't really interested in cars so he just filled it back in.? One thing I regretted though was that I had left the dissasembled engine from a '57 Studebaker Silverhawk (289 V8) in the garage...I had no place to store it...and the guy used it as part of the fill :(!? So...if anyone is looking for an engine for a '57 Studebaker, I know where to find one...but it might be a bit rusty.
???
Moron-
He could have just put some steel over it or something and left it for the next buyer.
Would it have raised the sell value much??
Will

S204STi

Quote from: etypeJohn on January 18, 2007, 07:49:16 AM
The best type of oil filter wrench I have found.

I dig my Mac one.  Very similar to that.

L. ed foote

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 07, 2007, 11:23:15 AM
Army self-help garages where you pay 5 bucks an hour to use a lift and tools?!  Wow...why isn't there anything like that around here?!  That's a GREAT concept.  I bet I could make a LOT of money starting a business like that around here...

'round here, in our litigious society, that's a lawsuit waiting to happen.
Member, Self Preservation Society

FoMoJo

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 18, 2007, 03:18:34 PM
???
Moron-
He could have just put some steel over it or something and left it for the next buyer.
Would it have raised the sell value much??

I think he was a moron...but I needed to vacate in a hurry.  It was covered with 2" x 8" boards that were positioned flush to the garage floor and as long as he didn't remove the boards it wouldn't have been a problem.  Maybe he thought that one of his kids might pry up the boards and fall in. 

If we'd had time to wait for the right buyer it, probably, could have added a premium to the price. 

etypeJohn

Quote from: L. ed foote on January 19, 2007, 08:58:48 AM

Wouldn't it be up to the guy working on his car to do his or her due dilligence and make sure the place was safe before renting the space?  You know, disassemble and check the lift for concealed flaws, magnaflux the wrenches for flaws, etc?   :devil:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: L. ed foote on January 19, 2007, 08:58:48 AM
And believe it or not the last time I went (Saturday to get 2 tires balanced. Cost me $14 total, because they charge $6 apiece, since they won't let you mess with the machine here.  Although the garage in Germany was $3 apiece if you did it yourself.)
they were making everyone sign a "non-liability" waiver to keep on file.

For whatever reason Soldiers are just as dense as anyone else but we realize that if you do something dumb, dumb things will happen...
Will

L. ed foote

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 15, 2007, 04:51:24 PM
Once I FINALLY can afford it, I'm sure I'll shop around and check out safety, ease of use, and price. In that order.

Or you could just find a service station that has gone out of business.

L. ed foote

Quote from: etypeJohn on January 19, 2007, 11:12:32 AM
Wouldn't it be up to the guy working on his car to do his or her due dilligence and make sure the place was safe before renting the space?  You know, disassemble and check the lift for concealed flaws, magnaflux the wrenches for flaws, etc?   :devil:

:lol: