C&D's 5Best Trucks

Started by VetteZ06, January 26, 2007, 10:43:15 PM

VetteZ06

I picked up the March issue of C&D at Borders tonight (didn't buy it) and took a look at the 5Best Trucks section. No article or details to provide you with as of yet, but I do remember the winners.

Small SUV - Toyota Rav4
Large SUV - Honda Pilot
Luxury SUV - Mercedes-Benz GL450
Minivan - Honda Odyssey
Truck - Chevrolet Silverado (Guess which truck was also included in the competition? :devil:)

I was somewhat surprised by the luxury SUV category, considering the SRX was a two-time winner that just had an overhaul to address its biggest problem. I've heard that the new interior is quite impressive, so I guess I expected they'd give it the nod again this year. :huh:

The Pirate

I wouldn't have put the Pilot on that list, or the RAV4 for that matter.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

ro51092

The Pirate

Because it's a Honda.  :rolleyes:

Haha, that's coming from a Honda owner too!
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

mazda6er

--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

VetteZ06

Judging by their review of the GMC Acadia later in the issue, I think the Lambda twins (the Acadia and the Outlook) would've been strong contenders for the large SUV category, but they weren't available for testing. :huh:

chevyguy06

That means they'll be able to come back next year though right?
'05 Ford Escape XLT V6

VetteZ06

Actually, I'm not at all sure about that. I'm fairly certain that a car has to be either new or significantly updated to be included in the test (previous winners are obviously included too), but I don't know the rules for products that aren't available to be tested in their year of eligibility.

ifcar

If they couldn't get a Lamdba crossover at the time of testing, how did they get a Tundra?

GoCougs

mazda6er

--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

MX793

Quote from: chevyguy06 on January 26, 2007, 11:39:34 PM
That means they'll be able to come back next year though right?

That's how they do it with the 10Best list.  I don't see why it would be different for the 5Best list.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

VetteZ06

Quote from: GoCougs on January 27, 2007, 08:40:26 AM
Silverado?

Yes, the one that took top honors over the Tundra. :ohyeah:

And ifcar, I'm not really sure how they obtained a Tundra for testing. It surprised me, too.

SVT666

Quote from: VetteZ06 on January 27, 2007, 10:40:16 AM
Yes, the one that took top honors over the Tundra. :ohyeah:
I find that surprising because I wasn't all that impressed with the Silverado I saw.

VetteZ06

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 27, 2007, 11:56:56 AM
I find that surprising because I wasn't all that impressed with the Silverado I saw.

I guess they saw it differently then, eh?

GoCougs

Silverado was a blatant let's-try-to-balance-it-out pitty vote.

ifcar

Quote from: GoCougs on January 27, 2007, 12:59:29 PM

That must be it.  :rolleyes:

VetteZ06

Yeah, that's pretty much what the article said. I forgot to point that out earlier. Thanks, Cougs.

On the other hand, there was no talk of a pity vote.

VetteZ06

Here's the writeup for the Silverado:

Radical experimentation isn't tolerated in the full-size-pickup category. Consequently, there's nothing about the 2007 Chevrolet Silverado that departs from the traditional expectations of full-size-pickup buyers. Instead, what we have is a truck that executes its varied missions with unusual competence and refinement.
    This new-generation Silverado's structure is impressively rigid, creating a perception of vault-like strength--reassuring most buyers who know that overloading the bed is a matter of when, not if--and also helping the suspension to deliver a smooth, well-controlled ride on pavement and rutted dirt roads alike. The big Chevy also stops and corners very well, both by the numbers and by the feel of the brake pedal and steering wheel.
    The small-block Chevy V-8, now in its second half-century of delivering usable power, provides a strong combination of performance, fuel economy, and refinement. The new interior is attractice, practical, and more than roomy enough. Towing and carrying capacities are at the top of the class. Put it all together, and pickups don't get any better than the Silverado in 2007.

I can type up any of the others if somebody so desires. I have a feeling they'll be on C&D's website in a short time, anyway.

GoCougs

I guess an all-aluminum 381hp DOHC V8, 50% more gears, better as-tested fuel economy, gear-driven transfer case, 10.5" ring gear diff, and 14" 4WDBs is "radical experimentation."

TheIntrepid

I don't like the Odyssey. The Sienna/Quest can do everything better... yet it's because it's a Honda that C&D favor it.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

ifcar

The Odyssey has better handling and steering feel than those two. Therefore, it's favored by the enthusiast magazine.

VetteZ06

Quote from: GoCougs on January 27, 2007, 04:41:20 PM
I guess an all-aluminum 381hp DOHC V8, 50% more gears, better as-tested fuel economy, gear-driven transfer case, 10.5" ring gear diff, and 14" 4WDBs is "radical experimentation."

Yes, it's quite shocking that they could ever disagree with your assessment of the truck segment. Perhaps you should write a terse, poignant letter to them.

ro51092

THATS MY VOTE FOR EXCUSE OF THE YEAR.

GoCougs

Oh, what the heck. It's harmless I guess.

At least this year it's only pushrods and 4sp AT.

Last year it was just too much fun what with the torsion bar front suspension and recirc ball steering...

VetteZ06

Apparently Motor Trend found quite a few faults with the Tundra, too.

Cougs, that's two letters thus far. Perhaps three if you want to write one praising the evaluative capabilities of the folks over at Edmunds.

ifcar

One thing that I really wish C/D would do with 10Best and 5Best is explain the cars that didn't win the way Motor Trend does. Too often, the little suck-up paragraphs for each winner could be reproduced exactly for one of the others, so they don't always make it clear why one car/truck beat another.

GoCougs

Quote from: VetteZ06 on January 27, 2007, 10:47:53 PM
Apparently Motor Trend found quite a few faults with the Tundra, too.

Cougs, that's two letters thus far. Perhaps three if you want to write one praising the evaluative capabilities of the folks over at Edmunds.

The letter thing I think ran its course a few posts back.

Don't get so wrapped up in the fate of the domestics so as to take my criticism of the Silverado personally.

VetteZ06

Quote from: GoCougs on January 28, 2007, 08:52:54 AM
Don't get so wrapped up in the fate of the domestics so as to take my criticism of the Silverado personally.

Take it personally? I'm sorry if it appears that way, but I don't usually take "conversations" on internet forums personally.

I just like responding to you because you seem to be quite enamored with your own opinion. :praise:

MX793

Quote from: ifcar on January 28, 2007, 06:17:43 AM
One thing that I really wish C/D would do with 10Best and 5Best is explain the cars that didn't win the way Motor Trend does. Too often, the little suck-up paragraphs for each winner could be reproduced exactly for one of the others, so they don't always make it clear why one car/truck beat another.

That would be nice, but perhaps not all that feasible in C&D's case.  Over the past several years, there have typically been 50+ contenders for the 10Best, roughly twice as many contenders as what MT had for this year's Car of the Year.  I just don't see C&D writing up a little blurb about every eligible contender for the 10Best when there are so many of them. 
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5