Audi A4 2.0t vs BMW 330i

Started by BMWDave, June 16, 2005, 07:40:33 PM

BMWDave

Link with Video

Introduction
By Scott Oldham
Date posted: 06-16-2005

The 2006 BMW 3 Series and the 2005 Audi A4 are the two greatest cars in the world. No, make that the universe. They're both so perfect in every imaginable way, instead of wasting time evaluating their awesome abilities and timeless style we should be celebrating their excellence, building monuments in their likeness and naming our children in their honor.

There, that should keep the lunatic fringe of the BMW 3 Series Extremist Society and the maniacal membership of the Militant Audi A4 Owners of America off our backs.

Now let's get to the business at hand, which is crowning the ultimate sport sedan. Is it the completely redesigned new BMW 3 Series or the almost completely redesigned new Audi A4? Read on.

The Cars
Two emails went out. The first to BMW of America located just outside the city that never sleeps and the other to Audi USA headquarters just outside the Motor City.

The first one said: "Dear BMW, Send us the sportiest 3 Series ya got. Sincerely, Inside Line." The response was the delivery of a bright red 330i with a six-speed manual transmission, a sport package, a premium package, assorted other sundries and a sticker price of $41,390.

The second email read: "Dear Audi, send us the sportiest A4 ya got. Sincerely, Inside Line." The response was the delivery of a bright red 2.0 T quattro sedan with a six-speed manual transmission, a sport package, a premium package, assorted other sundries and a sticker price of $35,995.

Savvy readers have just noticed that BMW sent over a much more powerful car. "The 330i," the savvy are saying, "is powered by a 255-horsepower normally aspirated 3.0-liter inline six-cylinder, while the A4 2.0 T is motivated by a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder rated at 200 hp."

And the savvy are right. Fact is a BMW 325i, which is powered by a 215-hp, 3.0-liter inline six is more in line with the 2.0-liter Audi. But remember, we asked each for the sportiest version of their vehicle.

"Then why didn't Audi," the inquisitive savvy readers will ask, "send an A4 powered by its new 255-hp, 3.2-liter V6?"

The answer is the six-speed manual gearbox, which is a must-have in a true sport sedan. Audi only pairs its V6 with an automatic. It's a Tiptronic automatic with a likable manual gate, but it's an automatic just the same. Besides, if you're dying to read about that drivetrain, we tested a so equipped A4 Avant not that long ago.

Audi also probably figured that the lower sticker price of its smaller engine model would give it a value edge in this two-car showdown. After all, the $36,995 base price of the 330i is a thousand bucks higher than the Audi's as-tested sticker.

The Test
Grueling is the only word for it.

First, we drove each as any normal consumer would. We carried our families, drove to work, hit the dry cleaners, the drive-thrus and the dog groomers. We threw too many kids in their backseats and too many bottles of bottled water in their trunks. We drove them in anger and in traffic. In the city, in the 'burbs and through the woods. And then we got serious.

At the test track we ran them through our usual battery of instrumented testing and then we maliciously flogged them through the endless canyon roads north of L.A.

For two weeks we prodded, probed and poked about. Notes were taken. Opinions were pooh-poohed and conclusions were concluded.

The End Result
Honestly, as wonderful as both cars are, choosing between the two wasn't as hard as we thought it would be. The BMW proved to be superior in nearly every way. Sure, it's a good bit more expensive, but it's also faster, it handles better, has superior brakes, is roomier and, to our eyes, is more attractive.

The Audi's lower price point, high content and finer interior appointments kept it close, but the new BMW 3 Series is without question the king of the sport sedans. As good as the 2005 Audi A4 is, the 2006 BMW 330i, is unequivocally better.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Militant Audi A4 Owners of America.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TBR

""Then why didn't Audi," the inquisitive savvy readers will ask, "send an A4 powered by its new 255-hp, 3.2-liter V6?""

Actually, the question I asked as an inquesitive savvy reader was, "why didn't they test the S4?" Seriously, the S4 really isn't that much more expensive than the 330i, or at least the difference in price isn't any bigger than the one between the 330i and A4 2.0T. My choice is the Audi.  

BMWDave

Quote""Then why didn't Audi," the inquisitive savvy readers will ask, "send an A4 powered by its new 255-hp, 3.2-liter V6?""

Actually, the question I asked as an inquesitive savvy reader was, "why didn't they test the S4?" Seriously, the S4 really isn't that much more expensive than the 330i, or at least the difference in price isn't any bigger than the one between the 330i and A4 2.0T. My choice is the Audi.
The S4 starts at almost 47K, and for that money, were talking BMW M3 territory.  The M3 is less than 500 dollars more.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

TBR, was your choice the S4, or a regular A4?

My choice would be the 325i, it still gets from 0-60 in under 7 seconds, and outhandles the Audi, has more interior space and comfort, and doesn't cost much more than a comparably-quick A4. Go easy on the options, and it's not really that expensive. And it's a lot more car.

TBR

Quote""Then why didn't Audi," the inquisitive savvy readers will ask, "send an A4 powered by its new 255-hp, 3.2-liter V6?""

The S4 starts at almost 47K, and for that money, were talking BMW M3 territory.  The M3 is less than 500 dollars more.
A couple of things: 1. The M3 is a coupe 2. The M3 doesn't have as many standard features 3. The 325i is the BMW in the A4 2.0T's territory yet they used the 330i, that is certainly no more fair than comparing the S4 to the 330i. Also, I am looking up prices.  

BMWDave

Apparently, it seems the only argument you can make for this Audi (2.0t) is price advantage, and to some people, styling.  Other than that, care to explain why the Audi is the better car?

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

QuoteTBR, was your choice the S4, or a regular A4?

My choice would be the 325i, it still gets from 0-60 in under 7 seconds, and outhandles the Audi, has more interior space and comfort, and doesn't cost much more than a comparably-quick A4. Go easy on the options, and it's not really that expensive. And it's a lot more car.
Either one.  

BMWDave

A couple of things: 1. The M3 is a coupe 2. The M3 doesn't have as many standard features 3. The 325i is the BMW in the A4 2.0T's territory yet they used the 330i, that is certainly no more fair than comparing the S4 to the 330i. Also, I am looking up prices.
Did you read why they didnt use the 325i?  

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

I'll help you.  The M3 starts at 47, 300, while the Audi starts at 46, 820.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

Apparently, it seems the only argument you can make for this Audi (2.0t) is price advantage, and to some people, styling.  Other than that, care to explain why the Audi is the better car?
My taste, I like it more than the 3-series just because and when you are spending 35k that is enough. This is what I am talking about when I say that I always have to defend myself when I say a negative thing about a BMW (or even something that isn't clearly negative).  

TBR

I'll help you, the A4 2.0T Quattro starts at 30k and the 330i starts at 37k

ifcar

I'm inclined to agree. I've never understood what exactly people like so much about Audis, and even the 05 3-Series is much more fun to drive than the 06 A4.

TBR

Did you read why they didnt use the 325i?
Yes I did and it was a completely bogus claim because the S4 is the sportiest version of the A4 yet they didn't use it.  

TBR

I'm inclined to agree. I've never understood what exactly people like so much about Audis, and even the 05 3-Series is much more fun to drive than the 06 A4.
I never said that the BMW wasn't a better car, I just like the A4 better, that is all.  

BMWDave

All right, I'll help you again.  The BMW costs $41,390, and the Audi cost 35,995.
Those are the vehicles in the test, and those are the numbers.

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

I never said that the BMW wasn't a better car, I just like the A4 better, that is all.
I'm afraid to ask if that is just an opinion... :mellow:  :lol: ...but if its not, why is the Audi the better car?

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

Are you arguing Edmunds' decision to use the 330i against the 2.0T, or that the Audi is a better car?

TBR

All right, I'll help you again.  The BMW costs $41,390, and the Audi cost 35,995.
Those are the vehicles in the test, and those are the numbers.
I'll help you again:
BMW 330i:
Cold Weather Package
Premium Package
Sport Package
Power Rear Sunshade
Park Distance Control
Active Cruise Control
On-Board Navigation System
Satellite Radio
$47990

Audi S4:
Premium Package
Audio Package
Navigation System
Heated Front and Rear Seats
Power Rear Sunshade
$52447

Difference- $4457
Difference Between the Cars Tested (which probably weren't equally equipped)- $5395

What do you have to say now Bimmer Boy?

BMWDave

My taste, I like it more than the 3-series just because and when you are spending 35k that is enough. This is what I am talking about when I say that I always have to defend myself when I say a negative thing about a BMW (or even something that isn't clearly negative).
So then its purely opinion, and I cant argue with opinion.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

Are you arguing Edmunds' decision to use the 330i against the 2.0T, or that the Audi is a better car?
They should have either used the A4 2.0T and 325i or S4 and 330i imho.  

TBR

So then its purely opinion, and I cant argue with opinion.
Exactly

ifcar

I agree with your first, but not your second comment. A 330i automatic vs. the A4 3.2 would make much more sense than a 330i manual vs. an S4.

TBR

QuoteI agree with your first, but not your second comment. A 330i automatic vs. the A4 3.2 would make much more sense than a 330i manual vs. an S4.
I agree, but if they wanted to test manuals the S4 is more of a competitor for the 330i than the A4 2.0t is (check out the data I posted on page 1).  

BMWDave

M3 with Premium Package for $3,300, and with BMW On-Board Navigation System  for $1,800 , and with heated front seats, comes out to $53,595.  It also comes with a power moonroof, and Power Front Seats with Driver Memory0, and BMW Assist with Bluetooth? Wireless Technology.  

Very competitive with the S4.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

QuoteI agree with your first, but not your second comment. A 330i automatic vs. the A4 3.2 would make much more sense than a 330i manual vs. an S4.
I agree, but if they wanted to test manuals the S4 is more of a competitor for the 330i than the A4 2.0t is (check out the data I posted on page 1).
This post is still on page 1...  <_<  

TBR

QuoteM3 with Premium Package for $3,300, and with BMW On-Board Navigation System  for $1,800 , and with heated front seats, comes out to $53,595.  It also comes with a power moonroof, and Power Front Seats with Driver Memory0, and BMW Assist with Bluetooth? Wireless Technology.  

Very competitive with the S4.
It isn't a sedan, now is it? You aren't winning this one.  

BMWDave

He must have different settings.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

For you maybe, but I am still using the default number of posts per page so it isn't.  

ifcar

You've upgraded to a high-speed connection, right? Might as well change your  posts-per-page settings.

TBR

QuoteYou've upgraded to a high-speed connection, right? Might as well change your  posts-per-page settings.
Good idea.