Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on November 17, 2018, 12:56:48 PM

O'reileys does

OH   OH   OH  OH REILEY'SSSSS ...

auto parts

OWWWWWWW!!!!

That's my #2 at work. Primary is Advance/Carqwest. Autozone takes hours and hours to deliver. Napa is too far away.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

cawimmer430

Quote from: MX793 on November 16, 2018, 01:54:51 PM
Wait, the PADS were over 350, but the rotors were only ~38 Euro?  That makes no sense.  Pads are cheap.  Rotors are not.

That's what it says on the bill. I just looked online and the pricing seems about right.

My extremely wealthy 75-year-old lady neighbor just traded in her black Mercedes-Benz S63 AMG Coupe for... a gun metal gray Mercedes-Benz S63 AMG Coupe (facelifted version). After this car she wants to try an Aston Martin.  :lol:

Some snapshots of her new ride.

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

CaminoRacer

I sat in a CX-5 at the dealership today. Really nice interior design.

Garage goals:
- El Camino (hot rod/weekend toy)
- ND Miata (DD/autox/some weekend trips)
- CX-5 (wife's DD, outdoorsy weekend trips)

cawimmer430

I'm not into SUVs, but man these Citroen DS7 Crossbacks are lovely.  :wub:

This Nürnberg Citroen dealership had loads of them on the lot. I want mine in that yellow-gold color in the press photos...

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

"these Citroen DS7 Crossbacks are lovely."

I agree.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

cawimmer430

This is how I want mine.  :wub:

Spectacular interior.  :wub:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

giant_mtb

Huh.  Didn't know the i3 had a carbon fiber chassis.  That's crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLfRPT5sEEI

Laconian

After considering a billion different cars, it looks like my mom's going with a Soul Red Mazda 3 hatchback. :ohyeah:

The Volkswagen Golf Alltrack was the next runner up, but the must-have features were reserved for the SEL (incl. upgraded seats), and that trim level the price tag was substantially higher than the Grand Touring Limited Mazda 3's. An $8000 premium for better seats, nothx!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CALL_911

Been using my girlfriends 2012 RDX for the past week. It's the 1st Gen with the 2.3T. First of all, SHAWD is awesome. You can feel it working when you drop the gas around a corner. Def this cars best attribute.

Maybe it's because it's older and things have gotten better, but I really don't like this thing very much. The transmission is lazy (again it's an old 5AT), it guzzles gas for what it is, and it's not particularly quick (but again, it is an older model). Not particularly roomy either and it has to have the most idiotic Bluetooth system ever made. It's exclusively controlled through voice commands which never work. Idk if it's just because it's older, but I wouldn't have picked this thing.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

On another note, we got dumped with like 8 inches of snow last week. Having additional ground clearance really does make life easier, a solid plus for CUVs.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

Quote from: Laconian on November 17, 2018, 07:09:33 PM
After considering a billion different cars, it looks like my mom's going with a Soul Red Mazda 3 hatchback. :ohyeah:

The Volkswagen Golf Alltrack was the next runner up, but the must-have features were reserved for the SEL (incl. upgraded seats), and that trim level the price tag was substantially higher than the Grand Touring Limited Mazda 3's. An $8000 premium for better seats, nothx!

Those things are seriously nice for the price. Congratulations. Why did she dump her mega Prius(iirc?)

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

68_427

Quote from: Laconian on November 17, 2018, 07:09:33 PM

Nice!  Trying to get my mom in a Mazda or that Volvo subscription thing once my brother is out of college.  She really wants a RF but it's too low for her to get in and out of.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

dazzleman

This would be a nice classic:

A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

CaminoRacer

dazzleman

A mid-60s Chevy that I saw.  I like the early '70s Skylark better.

A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

FoMoJo

Quote from: dazzleman on November 18, 2018, 10:54:13 AM
This would be a nice classic:

Looks good.  '70 Buick Skylark?

'69, '70 Olds 442 are great as well.  Always had a passion for them.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

BimmerM3

My high school physics teacher has a '70 Skylark that he de-roofed himself back in high school.

dazzleman

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 18, 2018, 11:34:56 AM
My high school physics teacher has a '70 Skylark that he de-roofed himself back in high school.

What did he do when it rained?  :lol:

dazzleman

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 18, 2018, 11:29:53 AM
Looks good.  '70 Buick Skylark?

'69, '70 Olds 442 are great as well.  Always had a passion for them.

It's a Buick Skylark, around 1970 but I'm not sure of the exact year.

BimmerM3

Quote from: dazzleman on November 18, 2018, 11:54:06 AM
It's a Buick Skylark, around 1970 but I'm not sure of the exact year.

lol he put a soft top on it, but that was the only picture I could find on Facebook.

dazzleman

Here's another one - a vintage Firebird:

MX793

^^^ That's a Firebird.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

dazzleman

Quote from: MX793 on November 18, 2018, 12:07:06 PM
^^^ That's a Firebird.

Damn, you're right!  I didn't look at the pictures carefully enough.

shp4man

Go for it Dave. Just think of it as an investment, which it kind of is. Get a nice one that's already been restored. If it breaks, I'll be happy to give you advice.. :ohyeah:

Those GM "A" body cars like that Buick have a strong following, parts are available, and the market is getting stronger. That was back in the days when the various GM divisions all had their own engine.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 18, 2018, 11:34:56 AM

He cut the top off a coupe?

I wouldn't recommend that. The actual convertibles (and wagons and El Caminos) had a fully boxed frame. The coupes and sedans weren't boxed, so cutting the roof off a coupe makes for a much flimsier car than the real convertibles.

BimmerM3

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 18, 2018, 12:41:55 PM

I wouldn't recommend that. The actual convertibles (and wagons and El Caminos) had a fully boxed frame. The coupes and sedans weren't boxed, so cutting the roof off a coupe makes for a much flimsier car than the real convertibles.

Well, based on his age, he's had it like that since the mid-80s. :huh::lol: I also don't know details of the build - i.e. whether or not he reinforced the frame.

He definitely doesn't DD it anymore, and he's not the type of guy to auto x or anything like that. I'm sure it wouldn't hold up as well in a collision, but you probably shouldn't be driving a 50 year old car at all if you're really concerned about accident safety.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 18, 2018, 12:41:55 PM

There were DIY conversion kits. I can't imagine them being very well engineered, but they did often include an extra frame brace arrangement.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 18, 2018, 01:05:40 PM
There were DIY conversion kits. I can't imagine them being very well engineered, but they did often include an extra frame brace arrangement.

True, it's not super hard to weld some plates on to box it. Quite a few guys do it for their protouring builds if they don't buy an aftermarket frame