EVs

Started by Morris Minor, November 08, 2018, 04:03:12 AM

Morris Minor

Quote from: 2o6 on October 04, 2019, 02:49:20 PM

Because the updated Nissan Leaf is basically the same car, but longer.

It, and the Renault ZOE have those shitty air-cooled batteries that have real issues with fast charging and range in hot climates.
i need to do some reading on the guts of EVs and what make them tick. Watch someone dismantle a drivetrain or something.

I was at a cars & coffee event this morning and some of the opinions on EVs were a bit questionable IMO.  Even in my ignorance I was more informed than EV detractors.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 05, 2019, 09:06:03 PM
i need to do some reading on the guts of EVs and what make them tick. Watch someone dismantle a drivetrain or something.

I was at a cars & coffee event this morning and some of the opinions on EVs were a bit questionable IMO.  Even in my ignorance I was more informed than EV detractors.

I got you fam

https://youtu.be/APhRPSdmdmk
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Morris Minor

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 05, 2019, 09:41:55 PM
I got you fam
Perfect - I liked that he's properly miked up so you can actually hear him.

CaminoRacer

He's at a local college. I should see if I can sign up for a class
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Morris Minor

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 06, 2019, 08:17:28 AM
He's at a local college. I should see if I can sign up for a class
He's awesome.
If you don't watch anything else in this, watch the last five minutes (starting around here: https://youtu.be/APhRPSdmdmk?t=3225) sums up IMO why EVs make sense, and why the pivot to EVs will be very fast.

Laconian

I had no idea the output torque was so massive!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AutobahnSHO

I'm more surprised how small the motor is. I thought they would be bigger.
Will

NomisR

Quote from: 2o6 on October 04, 2019, 02:49:20 PM

Because the updated Nissan Leaf is basically the same car, but longer.

It, and the Renault ZOE have those shitty air-cooled batteries that have real issues with fast charging and range in hot climates.

Which is the main reason why the Leafs had significant battery degradation issues while you have cars like the Tesla and the Chevy Volt/Sonic didn't.

Morris Minor

Quote from: NomisR on October 07, 2019, 12:48:20 PM
Which is the main reason why the Leafs had significant battery degradation issues while you have cars like the Tesla and the Chevy Volt/Sonic didn't.
Wow, yes, been doing some reading. There's a whole lot of research & effort going into thermal management: surface cooling vs. cell tab cooling etc.

They don't like heat and they don't like cold.

12,000 RPM

Good for folks living on Google Earth and its varying climates
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Laconian

giant_mtb

I'd much rather be in the Demon on a drag strip. The Tesla is just video game easy at that point, especially with its AWD. Congrats, you pointed the wheel straight and pushed a pedal.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 10, 2019, 08:52:31 PM
I'd much rather be in the Demon on a drag strip. The Tesla is just video game easy at that point, especially with its AWD. Congrats, you pointed the wheel straight and pushed a pedal.

Staying awake is the hardest part.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

afty

I too would prefer to lose

afty

Quote from: afty on August 27, 2019, 10:45:58 AM
This whole move-your-car-when-its-done-charging thing is only a problem if there aren't enough chargers to go around.  In the long run, they'll have to build out enough slow-charging capacity for people who park on the street to leave their cars plugged in overnight.  For now, it's probably not a great idea to buy an EV if you don't have a place to charge it.
L.A. is now putting a bunch of L2 chargers on street lamps:
https://electrek.co/2019/11/13/la-adds-hundreds-of-ev-chargers-to-streetlights-giving-renters-a-place-to-plug-in/

veeman

The Dodge Demon is designed pretty much just for drag racing and Dodge claims a 9.65 sec 1/4 mile drag strip time.  Everything about the car is geared towards the drag strip.  In the video the second Demon was faster than the Tesla, the driver didn't launch it as fast. 

An everyday family sedan beating a Demon at the drag strip is cool.  Not surprising as it has instant torque and that model Tesla has a 0-60 time of < 2.3 sec. 

I'd rather have the Tesla. 

r0tor

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 10, 2019, 08:52:31 PM

Whats different with the demon?  Launch control plus automatic
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on November 15, 2019, 03:59:48 PM
Whats different with the demon?  Launch control plus automatic

Noises, mostly. And it would be fun to try to master that kind of power without using launch control.

Galaxy

Tesla is getting a US neighbor in Brandenburg, the battery maker Microvast. However apparently this has nothing to do with Tesla, as a German magazine writes, the decision was made because of the close proximity to the Berlin-Brandenburg airport.

Laconian

They did their research, I see.

FoMoJo

Vancouver seaplane company to test world's first all-electric commercial aircraft

Harbour Air will test the seaplane, a De Havilland Beaver retrofitted with a magniX electric motor, on Wednesday, Dec. 11 — subject to weather.

Makes sense for this type of arcraft.  If they run out of juice, they can just land in the water.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Laconian

Floatplanes generally run short haul flights, too.

giant_mtb

I'll be interested in the sounds it makes.

Laconian

Hopefully it's quieter! Floatplanes raise a huge racket where I live.

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 30, 2019, 12:49:30 PM
I'll be interested in the sounds it makes.
Whirrrrrr?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

GoCougs

Many/most float planes used out of the Seattle area are old - from the '50s or '60s generally - and powered by ginormously loud radial engines (like you'd see on WWII fighters and bombers).

I'm gonna guess they'll be quieter, but not hugely so. The planes are actually much bigger/more powerful than the typical Cessna - 750 hp is moving a lot of air (mass), and that's gonna make some noise.

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 30, 2019, 08:28:10 PM
Whirrrrrr?

Well, with the absence of the drone of an ICE, I'm more interested to see what other sounds come out besides the obvious noise of the motor itself.

FoMoJo

Quote from: GoCougs on November 30, 2019, 11:09:41 PM
Many/most float planes used out of the Seattle area are old - from the '50s or '60s generally - and powered by ginormously loud radial engines (like you'd see on WWII fighters and bombers).

I'm gonna guess they'll be quieter, but not hugely so. The planes are actually much bigger/more powerful than the typical Cessna - 750 hp is moving a lot of air (mass), and that's gonna make some noise.
As mentioned in the the article, this is a De Havilland Beaver which were manufactured 50+ years ago.

giant_mtb

Twenty Thousand Hertz is an awesome podcast about sound. You don't have to be an audio nerd to find it interesting.

But anyway, they had an episode recently all about car sounds. They talked to a guy who is a veteran of recording sounds for racing games and such. Really interesting. And to get cleaner tire sounds, he used a Tesla because, well, there's no ICE noise to deal with in the recording.

So, an electric airplane should reveal some really cool sounds of flight with the absence of the ICE.