The effects of ultra-cold weather...

Started by 850CSi, January 25, 2008, 11:31:54 AM

850CSi

I thought I'd make a thread about this, since I have questions and I'd like to learn a little more myself, hopefully there are others that share the sentiment.

I'll start with a question...

Is it normal that my gauge cluster is completely non-functional for the first few minutes after I start my car for the first time in a long while (e.g., a few days) with subzero temps out? Does this do any permanent damage?

3.0L V6

No.

The gauges should work regardless of the temperature.

The Pirate

Quote from: 850CSi on January 25, 2008, 11:31:54 AM
I thought I'd make a thread about this, since I have questions and I'd like to learn a little more myself, hopefully there are others that share the sentiment.

I'll start with a question...

Is it normal that my gauge cluster is completely non-functional for the first few minutes after I start my car for the first time in a long while (e.g., a few days) with subzero temps out? Does this do any permanent damage?

No, I don't think that's normal.  I've never had a car do that (although the instrument cluster in my cars are probably less sophisticated than your setup).  At the same time, I doubt anything is going to be damaged.  I had a buddy with an E36, his car did that occasionally too, but his had around 170K miles at the time.

You're still under warranty, right?  Get it checked out.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Eye of the Tiger

It was 2?F this morning. When I got in the Audi, the trim at the front of the headliner had peeld off and condensed itself into an arc.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

280Z Turbo

The chasis on my Ranger was so floppy that I could hear ice cracking when I went over bumps. Sometimes the brake pedal froze when it was subzero and the clutch would get extra stiff. The damn thing always started though. :lol:

AKL

I don't think that's normal. That has never happened to me.

The only thing that has ever happened to me is the radio display becoming sluggish. Sometimes it's a little slow to start to (the Accord actually had trouble starting a while ago and I finally had to replace the battery because it was too weak) 

My best advice is to check with your dealer. 
---------------------
05 Accord EX V6/  07 Santa Fe 3.3 GL
---------------------

TheIntrepid

My car just drives heavy in the morning if it's really cold, and the GPS gives me a message "temperature below normal, allow few minutes for heating".

One of my front right speakers vibrates a little in the cold, too

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

MX793

Clutch and gearshift get stiff, the chassis creaks and the fuel mileage drops significantly, but I've never heard of a gauge cluster not working.  Sounds like an electrical issue.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Danish

Everyone else is spot on.

Drop the car off at the dealer overnight and have them test drive it in the morning
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

well actually i should say my ass is warm and the rest of me freezes...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

S204STi

LCDs usually have a working temperature range, no?  Could be that you are outside of that range.  That said, how cold is it currently?

MX793

Quote from: R-inge on January 25, 2008, 06:57:16 PM
LCDs usually have a working temperature range, no?  Could be that you are outside of that range.  That said, how cold is it currently?

LCDs generally should be good to at least -20 C (-5 F, roughly), some can operate at -40 C (-40 F) and lower.  I've gone out and started my car on cold mornings after it sat outside in sub-zero conditions and the LCDs all worked.

Further, it sounds like all of the gauges are dead, including the analogs, which definately should not be dead from the cold.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

280Z Turbo

Quote from: MX793 on January 25, 2008, 07:51:32 PM
LCDs generally should be good to at least -20 C (-5 F, roughly), some can operate at -40 C (-40 F) and lower.  I've gone out and started my car on cold mornings after it sat outside in sub-zero conditions and the LCDs all worked.

Further, it sounds like all of the gauges are dead, including the analogs, which definately should not be dead from the cold.

Sometimes my phone will act weird when it's been sitting in a 20 degree car for a while.

The LCD screen will be laggy and somewhat blurry, but it still works.

S204STi

Quote from: MX793 on January 25, 2008, 07:51:32 PM

Ah, well that explains that.  I'm not sure what, electrically, would intermittently fail at cold temps like that...

VTEC_Inside

If it gets cold enough the power steering pump on my Accord will sound like its grinding coffee for the first few seconds.

The RSX radio did a weird high pitched thing once, but I just shut it off and turned it back on again and it was fine.

Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

850CSi

The LCDs, even the one between the tach and odo, all work (but, as others have mentioned, they lag). Yesterday, when this happened, it was in the low single digits, it got to -4F at some point.

The problem seems to be fairly consistent when it's really cold and the car sits... The analogues don't work for a short while, and then eventually snap to life after the car's warmed up a bit. I'll call the dealer and see if this is a feature or common problem or if I should bring it in. That said, right now I'm not at home so it'll have to wait.

MX793

Quote from: R-inge on January 25, 2008, 08:14:31 PM
Ah, well that explains that.  I'm not sure what, electrically, would intermittently fail at cold temps like that...

Things tend to shrink when it gets cold.  Perhaps that caused an electrical connection that wasn't particularly solid to pull apart?
Needs more Jiggawatts

JYODER240

My CD player skips, my clutch feels weak, my shifter feels really stiff and I have to be really patient when shifting so I don't grind any gears.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

S204STi

Quote from: MX793 on January 26, 2008, 07:48:06 AM
Things tend to shrink when it gets cold.  Perhaps that caused an electrical connection that wasn't particularly solid to pull apart?

Good call, that is actually a valid concern.

TBR

Quote from: JYODER240 on January 26, 2008, 08:32:22 AM
My CD player skips, my clutch feels weak, my shifter feels really stiff and I have to be really patient when shifting so I don't grind any gears.

Likewise (other than the CD player, it doesn't get cold enough here to effect any electronics). Additionally, when going over bumps at low speeds the car creaks and moans horribly (I actually passed on buying a car because it made similar noises, I didn't even think that it might be temperature related). Finally, I am not sure if this is temp related or not, but as of late I can't always just turn the key in one movement. It will try to start, but in order to get it to start I have to pause at the "on" position before actually going to start. Not sure if it is temp related or not, other than it has only happened when it has been cold.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: TBR on January 27, 2008, 10:57:54 AM
Likewise (other than the CD player, it doesn't get cold enough here to effect any electronics). Additionally, when going over bumps at low speeds the car creaks and moans horribly (I actually passed on buying a car because it made similar noises, I didn't even think that it might be temperature related). Finally, I am not sure if this is temp related or not, but as of late I can't always just turn the key in one movement. It will try to start, but in order to get it to start I have to pause at the "on" position before actually going to start. Not sure if it is temp related or not, other than it has only happened when it has been cold.
Maybe the fuel pump has to work a lil harder in the cold weather. That would explain why you have to pause at the "on" position. That should give the pump a lil extra time to get the fuel to the rail.  :huh:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

TBR

Makes sense. Scared the crap out of me the first time it happened.

Submariner

The LCD Display in my car is sluggish to react on super cold mornings, but the gauges themselves always work.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on January 27, 2008, 11:02:06 AM
Maybe the fuel pump has to work a lil harder in the cold weather. That would explain why you have to pause at the "on" position. That should give the pump a lil extra time to get the fuel to the rail.  :huh:
Could be-
On the other hand, I've heard that fuel pumps rarely fail in cold weather- but as soon as it gets warm/hot again they bite the dust.
(My SHO's pump went south the week before Christmas though, so ??)
Will

Champ

Quote from: 850CSi on January 26, 2008, 02:54:02 AM
The LCDs, even the one between the tach and odo, all work (but, as others have mentioned, they lag). Yesterday, when this happened, it was in the low single digits, it got to -4F at some point.

The problem seems to be fairly consistent when it's really cold and the car sits... The analogues don't work for a short while, and then eventually snap to life after the car's warmed up a bit. I'll call the dealer and see if this is a feature or common problem or if I should bring it in. That said, right now I'm not at home so it'll have to wait.
If it's analog gauges driven using a cable the grease inside the lines could get cold enough to get gummed up.

If it's under warranty I certainly would call a dealer.  The problem would be hard to duplicate I imagine though...

MX793

Quote from: Champ on January 28, 2008, 01:22:18 PM
If it's analog gauges driven using a cable the grease inside the lines could get cold enough to get gummed up.

If it's under warranty I certainly would call a dealer.  The problem would be hard to duplicate I imagine though...

I believe most analog gauges these days are fully electronic.  Do newer BMWs do the needle sweep on startup like newer Subarus?  If so, they are definately not cable driven.
Needs more Jiggawatts

TBR

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 28, 2008, 01:20:15 AM
Could be-
On the other hand, I've heard that fuel pumps rarely fail in cold weather- but as soon as it gets warm/hot again they bite the dust.
(My SHO's pump went south the week before Christmas though, so ??)

Well that's real encouraging.

Cookie Monster

The Accord had trouble starting yesterday evening after having sat maybe 14 hours. I don't want to know what it'd do in sub zero weather for a few days. :mask:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R