Lexus LF-A pricing leaked

Started by SVT666, May 21, 2008, 12:23:31 PM

SVT666

I'm not chocked by anything these days, but even this surprised me...
Hemi666

Two ZR1s or one Lexus LF-A? Pricing for Lexus' upcoming supercar leaked
May 21

As we can discern from the latest spy photos, the Lexus LF-A is inching toward its final production form. But with a 5.0L V10 producing 500 horsepower, that's probably the last inching the LF-A will ever do. However, that Italian-rivaling performance will set back buyers more than they are used to paying for a Japanese performance car.

Lexus' new supercar will sticker for more than $200,000, according to Edmunds. One Lexus official said the LF-A's price "will begin with a two" while another indicated the car's final price will likely be closer to $225,000.

The LF-A will be available in both coupe and convertible body styles, with the latter expected to add several thousands to the LF-A's sticker price.

Although the LF-A promises a top speed of over 200 mph, the supercar will really have to overachieve to make its $200,000 price tag make sense. In comparison, a Ferrari F430 Spider can be had for about $211,000, and Chevy's new 620-horsepower ZR1 is expected to cost around $100,000.

sportyaccordy

Hmmm.... Toyota, or foreclosed property?

Submariner

Hmmm....Ferrari 430 or lexus?
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

deesea

So I'm Gonna start a revolution from my bed - Noel Gallagher

JYODER240

Great now I get to hear half of the people at work say "It's even better than a Ferrari because it's faster and will never break down!"  :rolleyes:
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Laconian

It seems to me that it would be more "Lexus" to target Bentley instead of Ferrari.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: Laconian on May 21, 2008, 11:24:19 PM
It seems to me that it would be more "Lexus" to target Bentley instead of Ferrari.

I was thinking along the lines of the forthcoming Mercedes SLC...

Sigma Projects

From last I heard the LF-A does 205 as it's top speed, but Toyota didn't like that since their goal is 220+mph. I don't think toyota is going to half ass anything on the LF-A. Hopefully all that R&D can trickle down and let us normal people see a $35K Supra with iono 310hp? Is that too much to ask for? lol.
RAs, the last of the RWD Celicas

Submariner

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on May 22, 2008, 01:22:19 AM
I was thinking along the lines of the forthcoming Mercedes SLC...

I hope they don't screw that up.

r0tor

how can it be overpriced if there are no official details?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Rich

Quote from: r0tor on May 22, 2008, 09:37:42 AM
how can it be overpriced if there are no official details?

Nobody in here has said it's overpriced
:huh:
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Sigma Projects

hemi666 said
Quotethe supercar will really have to overachieve to make its $200,000 price tag make sense

SVT666

Quote from: Sigma Projects on May 22, 2008, 11:24:04 AM
hemi666 said
That was an article, so I never actually said that.  Though I do believe it.

sportyaccordy

I will go on record to say it is overpriced.

If BMW can produce the M6 for $100K there is no reason this car must cost 2x as much.

Submariner

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 22, 2008, 01:20:24 PM
I will go on record to say it is overpriced.

If BMW can produce the M6 for $100K Nissan can produce the GT-R for $70K there is no reason this car must cost 2x 2.85x as much.

Sigma Projects

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 22, 2008, 11:33:52 AM
That was an article, so I never actually said that.  Though I do believe it.

oops my apologies.

We'll see how it does in the end. I remember that they are starting to put the LF-A into racing.

Yawn

Maybe 3-4 years ago. they would get a couple sales but in this economy.. I wont be able to use all the equity from my house to buy my dream car anymore.. ugh..lol

hotrodalex

I don't see who is going to buy this, especially at 200k.

sandertheshark

I find this car soooo hard to care about.

the Teuton

Quote from: hotrodalex on May 24, 2008, 12:16:13 PM
I don't see who is going to buy this, especially at 200k.

If it's significantly better than the GT-R, it will sell.  Otherwise, it'll just be a blah product for a huge amount of money.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Sigma Projects

I really don't see how it's not going to be not a whole lot better than the GT-R maybe not much better than the V Spec, but it's 200K and being tuned on the ring and being put into racing and still receiving tweaks to bring down the Cd as they are aiming at a top speed of 220mph and we don't know much of the specs like if it will have just 500 or will it go over like 550 or how much the car weighs and what kind of Gs can it pull, how well the does it's motorized spoiler and aerodynamics help, etc. We also don't know how well equipped the car will be with gadgets and how nice the interior will be.

cawimmer430

Let me just say something that will get me flamed...

Here is another car from Lexus where they're hoping people will dump their "unreliable" Euro performance cars and go for the LF-A. A car that looks incredibly plain and a styling disaster. In all honestly, a Ferrari or Lamborghini has these gorgeous lines (not to mention history) that create excitement (which also comes from heritage/history. This LF-A, the way  I see it, tries to be trendy and stylistically pleasing but it just fails in doing this in my book. This whole L-Finesse design language looks terrible.

Paying $200K+ for a Ferrari or Lamborghini doesn't bother some people, but these same people would probably never look at the Lexus. No matter how "reliable" it might be. It's got nothing in terms of charm and looks IMO over a Ferrari or Lamborghini or a Porsche even. Just Lexus entering another market that's dominated by established brands with HERITAGE and HISTORY (and therefore the "right" to overprice their cars) for the sake of making themselves look like a true prestige / luxury brand. $200K for a Toyota? I mean Lexus? I wouldn't buy it. Part of what makes Ferrari's and Lamborghini's so appealing is their motorsport involvement. It showed the public what their cars can do. It was essentially advertising. Lexus doesn't have this. The LF-A has no motorsport background. People won't know how it drives. The only thing it has going for it is a testmule car getting a good time at the 'Ring.

People in this niche also demand a reason why they should pay so much money for a car. A Ferrari or Lamborghini is a no brainer: history, heritage, motorsport involvement, stylistically exciting and pleasing cars, status symbol etc., you name it! Lexus LF-A? Status symbol? It's expensive, that's it. To me it has no status because it comes from a brand without the same kind of prestige as its competitors. Stylistically exciting cars? Um, no. History and heritage? None. Motorsport involvement? None. 
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Rich

Do you even enjoy cars for the way they drive?

Or is the only thing you care about heritage/history/prestige/company's motor sports involvement which have nothing to do with a way a car drives?

Tell me, should I have enjoyed my Cavalier because Chevrolet has a LONG history going back to the beginning of the 20th century, MANY racing successes, a very big fan base, and a lot of heritage?

cawimmer430

Quote from: HotRodPilot on May 25, 2008, 02:52:59 AM
Do you even enjoy cars for the way they drive?
\

I do.

Quote from: HotRodPilot on May 25, 2008, 02:52:59 AMOr is the only thing you care about heritage/history/prestige/company's motor sports involvement which have nothing to do with a way a car drives?

In some market niches buyers expect the brand to have a name. Lexus doesn't have a reputation for ueber-performance cars. Sure, they have to start somewhere but going right into the market with an unproven car that costs $200K (and the first Lexi were rebadged Toyota's)? This won't sit well with many people in this class.

Do you think a prospective Rolls-Royce or Bentley customer would consider a Lexus LS no matter how well-equipped or "cheap" it was? Hell no. Lexus = no heritage. In this class people expect this. A Bentley or Rolls will give you this feeling of driving something special. Even a BMW or Mercedes can do that. A Lexus? Not so much.

Quote from: HotRodPilot on May 25, 2008, 02:52:59 AMTell me, should I have enjoyed my Cavalier because Chevrolet has a LONG history going back to the beginning of the 20th century, MANY racing successes, a very big fan base, and a lot of heritage?

From a brand perspective, Chevrolet has more overall brand prestige than Lexus by far.

Even if they built crap like the Cavalier. Every carmaker has built a POS. Even Lexus.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Rich

Quote from: cawimmer430 on May 25, 2008, 03:13:06 AM

Even if they built crap like the Cavalier. Every carmaker has built a POS. Even Lexus.

So the Cavalier is a better car than the LF-A?

cawimmer430

Quote from: HotRodPilot on May 25, 2008, 04:03:06 AM

So the Cavalier is a better car than the LF-A?

Where did I say that?  :rolleyes:

The Cavalier, according to most people, is a POS one way or the other. Any Lexus is better than any Cavalier hands down by far.

When I say "POS Lexus" I'm talking mainly about overhyped crap like their hybrids. Fuel efficient my ass. Plus no trunk space and just plain OVERRATED.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Rich

Quote from: cawimmer430 on May 25, 2008, 04:20:31 AM
Where did I say that?  :rolleyes:

The Cavalier, according to most people, is a POS one way or the other. Any Lexus is better than any Cavalier hands down by far.

But Chevrolet has much more heritage, history, and motor sports success than Lexus, so the Cavalier must be better than the LF-A

cawimmer430

Quote from: HotRodPilot on May 25, 2008, 04:28:14 AM
But Chevrolet has much more heritage, history, and motor sports success than Lexus, so the Cavalier must be better than the LF-A

Nowhere in my prestige related posts did I say that the more prestigeous brand automatically makes the better cars.  :rolleyes:

I am merely pointing out that Lexus cannot be as prestigeous as some of its rivals in terms of overall brand prestige because their history and heritage is non-existent and they didn't develop and evolve like their competitors. Let's face it, there is nothing prestigeous about making use of Toyota cars with a different badges and claiming to be a prestige brand a la BMW or MB without even having any worthy history or heritage that would define them as such.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

JYODER240

I 'm glad Wimmer found out the secret formula to determine brand prestige. It's all about how old the brand is and their racing history. It has nothing to do with how good their cars are.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*