Why 70 is the new 55

Started by S204STi, March 17, 2010, 04:16:52 PM

Rupert

Quote from: NomisR on March 18, 2010, 10:21:42 AM
I love your arbitrary and selective way of selecting what is good and bad for the people.  In other words, from what I've seen, anything that you do, the government should not be involved in and anything you don't do, the government should limit it because it's bad.  How does that make you any different than the people that push for a lot of the ridiculous laws that we have in place today?  You are no better than the "liberals" you like to bash because you are one and the same, you have the same type of mentality, where the law should apply to everyone except me.  You sir, are a hypocrite. 

Says the man who thinks left-lane campers are a hugo-ginormous problem for no reason. ;)
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=21559.msg1290981#msg1290981 date=1268964978
It's one of three forms of communication from car to car.  It is by far the least confrontational of them (the other two being honking and hand gestures).  Flashing your high beams is also the accepted way to tell someone that you intend to pass; and 80% of the time, the driver understands that and moves over to let me by without incident. 
Same here.  It's rare that someone sits there while I keep flashing.  I can't remember the last time I had to pull over and pass on the right because someone refused to move over when I flashed them.

Raza

Quote from: Rupert on March 18, 2010, 08:19:49 PM
AFAIK, in many places, flashing your high beams is illegal.

So is speeding.  I don't see your point.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GoCougs

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on March 18, 2010, 06:28:22 PM
I wonder if the massive amounts of money required to implement a German-style autobahn system (driver training + upgraded roadways) across the entire United States would be worth it for the benefits of the higher speed travel. I'd suspect no - I support higher speed limits in rural areas (65mph is too slow) but much past 80mph, the benefit is relatively minimal.

The enthusiast in me likes the idea, the pragmatist says it's a waste of effort.

Of for each of the 50 states to realign their driver testing to a graduated or more advanced testing system.

On the eve of at $1T nationalized health care vote, and some are suggesting that we spend even more tax money on yet another situation catering to a select few.

Not a chance.

Onslaught

Quote from: SVT666 on March 18, 2010, 08:24:50 PM
Same here.  It's rare that someone sits there while I keep flashing.  I can't remember the last time I had to pull over and pass on the right because someone refused to move over when I flashed them.
Don't drive in NC. I'm not sure people around here would even know what it means to have high beams flashed at them.

Vinsanity

the problem I've come across is that other drivers seem to think you're arrogant/cocky/whatever if you flash them to move over. So naturally, they'll take whatever pathetic pleasure it is they get by blocking you in while camping in the left lane. But if they want cocky behavior, I'll be more than happy to oblige :evildude:

GoCougs

Though it rarely happens like any healthy red-blooded American I generally don't take well to being flashed no matter the reason.

You have no legal standing to make me move out of my lane even if I'm camping and especially if you're speeding. 

All in all I do not recommend it. It's asking for trouble.

Vinsanity

the sign that says "slower traffic keep right" is my legal standing to make you move

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw429JGL5zo
(another good one for the driving song thread)

I remember one time a Prius driver flashed me after the fact that I whipped around him from the right while he was camping in the left lane. I LOL'd.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on March 19, 2010, 09:27:10 AM
Though it rarely happens like any healthy red-blooded American I generally don't take well to being flashed no matter the reason.

You have no legal standing to make me move out of my lane even if I'm camping and especially if you're speeding. 

All in all I do not recommend it. It's asking for trouble.
Ever think that you may be one of the reasons why people have road rage in the US? 

Jon?

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 19, 2010, 09:35:05 AM
I remember one time a Prius driver flashed me after the fact that I whipped around him from the right while he was camping in the left lane. I LOL'd.

I'll admit sometimes I'll pass on the right then get in front of the camper and slow down deliberately.  I'm not proud of it, but sometimes I can't help it.

Current Rides: 2011 VW Golf TDi, 2008 Pontiac Vibe

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: GoCougs on March 19, 2010, 09:27:10 AM

WRONG. Citizen's arrest for camping. 

Doesn't matter if Other people are speeding or not. Most states say you should stay in the most right lane as possible, except for when passing.
Will

GoCougs

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 19, 2010, 09:35:05 AM
the sign that says "slower traffic keep right" is my legal standing to make you move

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw429JGL5zo
(another good one for the driving song thread)

Oh, please, don't be childish. You have zero standing to enforce traffic laws or otherwise "make" anyone do anything.

Quote from: SVT666 on March 19, 2010, 09:36:44 AM
Ever think that you may be one of the reasons why people have road rage in the US?  

LOL - because I don't flash my high beams to make people move out of my way???

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 19, 2010, 10:58:34 AM
WRONG. Citizen's arrest for camping. 

Doesn't matter if Other people are speeding or not. Most states say you should stay in the most right lane as possible, except for when passing.

Oh, please. This is ridiculous. Traffic infractions are not criminal thus you cannot be arrested by anyone.

Jon?

Quote from: GoCougs on March 19, 2010, 11:03:19 AM
LOL - because I don't flash my high beams to make people move out of my way???

Because you're camping in the left lane.

GoCougs

A lot of tuff guy Internet bravado going on here, but I have to admit that I've done most everything that has been mentioned here but I'm under no delusion that it's asking for trouble and otherwise something I shouldn't be doing.

I have to admit I did something REALLY bad way back when - anonymously called 911 from a payphone and made a false claim on a guy who was being a real PITA that he pulled a chrome piece on me (he actually waved a hammer at me).  

Vinsanity

The one thing I will admit is that most of the time people ignore flashing headlights behind them because they have the same attitude as Cougs: that they have the right to camp in the passing lane in spite of apparent signage indicating otherwise. That said, it's ridiculous to consider it an offensive course of action. It's no more offensive than using your turn signal to let  other drivers know you want to change lanes.

Vinsanity

Quote from: GoCougs on March 19, 2010, 11:03:19 AM
Oh, please, don't be childish. You have zero standing to enforce traffic laws or otherwise "make" anyone do anything.

I agree with that, but the same principle has to apply to people who camp in the left lane, forcing drivers behind them to drive at or below the speed limit.

GoCougs

Yeah, I'm going to check out of this; Straw Man Cometh = GoCougs Goeth. It gets too tiring after a while.

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 19, 2010, 11:57:34 AM
The one thing I will admit is that most of the time people ignore flashing headlights behind them because they have the same attitude as Cougs: that they have the right to camp in the passing lane in spite of apparent signage indicating otherwise. That said, it's ridiculous to consider it an offensive course of action. It's no more offensive than using your turn signal to let  other drivers know you want to change lanes.

That's how I view it.  I'm going to pass you, whether or not you want to do the right thing.  I might as well give them the option to move over, for the sake of both our safety. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Jon?

Quote from: GoCougs on March 19, 2010, 12:19:38 PM
Yeah, I'm going to check out of this; Straw Man Cometh = GoCougs Goeth. It gets too tiring after a while.

Why be the strawman if you get tired of it?

hotrodalex

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 19, 2010, 11:57:34 AM

Exactly.

But no, this is America. We have big egos and won't move.

BTW Cougs, camping is against traffic laws, so I do have a right to flash my lights. I want to pass you and you aren't following traffic rules. I am 100% sure any cop will agree with that.

NomisR

You seem to fail to gasp why people are attacking you.  Nobody is creating a false position for you as those are the same positions you have repeatedly stated for yourself through various posts on this forum.  This is no strawman.  If you really believes it is such, than clarify what your true position in the matter is, but like always, you never do. 

AutobahnSHO

bye goof
Will

cawimmer430

Quote from: R-inge on March 18, 2010, 11:09:16 AM
In Colorado they are pretty good about it.  I've seen it happen twice, and I've heard other people complain about being ticketed for left lane camping as well.  They have some other term for it, like impeding the flow of traffic or something, but the state law is that you must keep to the right unless you are overtaking someone.

Yep. That's the law here. If they catch you being a Linksfahrer with empty lanes ahead of you then you're in trouble. And the cops here always patrol the Autobahns with unmarked cars, even in old pieces of crap like a mid-1990s Opel Vectra.  :tounge:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

TurboDan

Quote from: Minpin on March 18, 2010, 12:27:59 AM
I had cruise at 80-85 the whole way to and from Florida over spring break. I was passing most people, but there were plenty who were passing me. No ticket, no nothing, really. It was a fine drive.

Same here, the last time I drove to Florida from New Jersey. I generally cruised around 80 in NJ, DE and MD, slowed it down in Virginia, then did 85-90 in NC, SC and GA and back down to just around 80 in Florida.

No tickets. Spotted just one single police vehicle the whole trip, right near the NC-SC border.

Jon?

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 19, 2010, 04:50:22 PM
Yep. That's the law here. If they catch you being a Linksfahrer with empty lanes ahead of you then you're in trouble. And the cops here always patrol the Autobahns with unmarked cars, even in old pieces of crap like a mid-1990s Opel Vectra.  :tounge:

We can only dream of that over here.

TurboDan

Quote from: Rupert on March 18, 2010, 08:19:49 PM
AFAIK, in many places, flashing your high beams is illegal.

In New Jersey, the state police will give you a high-beam flash if you're left-lane camping - both the marked and unmarked cars.

TurboDan

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 19, 2010, 04:50:22 PM

I don't know why American unmarked cars are the same models as the marked cars. Wouldn't it be more effective to have your unmarked cars be from a different brand than what everyone expects is "a police car?"

I never quite understood that. I know the Cali Highway Patrol did use some Volvos for a while, but they were marked anyway.

Vinsanity

Quote from: TurboDan on March 19, 2010, 05:47:24 PM
I never quite understood that. I know the Cali Highway Patrol did use some Volvos for a while, but they were marked anyway.

LOL, I never saw those. But somewhat notoriously, we did have Z28 Camaro's for a short while in the early 2000's, and 5.0 Fox-body Mustangs in the late 80's-early 90's

CJ

They used S70 T5's.  Those haul ass.

Vinsanity

lol, looks pretty sharp as a cop car