Audi A4

Started by giant_mtb, April 03, 2010, 03:19:12 PM

Jon?

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 03, 2010, 11:59:14 PM
Or I'll just get an A4 cause my heart and mind are both in love with it.

If you're looking to get the best price I can share what I did when I purchased my STi for under dealer invoice.  I had a salesman golfing acquaintance tell me about it.  He didn't like it but admitted it was a good way to get the best price.

First, arrange your own financing ahead of time.  The best time to begin the process is with about two-three weeks left in the month.

Online, find all the Audi dealerships in your area that you'd be willing to drive to to make a purchase.  I made a spreadsheet.

Email the sales departments on your dealership list.  In the email, tell them what car you're looking for, options, colors, etc.  Tell them that you're looking for the best price, at or below dealer invoice, and you will be buying the car by the end of the month.  Don't leave a phone number and tell them you want all correspondence handled via email.  It's easier if you're not trading anything in.

When I was buying my STi, I sent emails like that to 12 local Subaru dealerships.  Of the 12, one gave no response, two wrote back that they 'didn't do business that way' and the nine sent me back prices, and all were at or below dealer invoice.

I then emailed the best offer I received to the local Subaru dealership who'd been giving me good service on my 2.5 RS and asked them if they could match this price.  They emailed me back a price within $100.  I replied with my fax # and told them to send me a PO and I'd sign for it.

I went in two days later and met the saleman for the first time, signed the papers and drove off in a brand new silver STi.  It was the easiest, hassle-free buying experience I'd ever had.  Absolutely no haggling.

HTH.

Current Rides: 2011 VW Golf TDi, 2008 Pontiac Vibe

S204STi

Good stuff there.  I actually got mine below invoice as well doing something similar; the dealer was offering special incentives for people to shop online or something.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Jon? on April 04, 2010, 01:06:00 PM
If you're looking to get the best price I can share what I did when I purchased my STi for under dealer invoice.  I had a salesman golfing acquaintance tell me about it.  He didn't like it but admitted it was a good way to get the best price.

First, arrange your own financing ahead of time.  The best time to begin the process is with about two-three weeks left in the month.

Online, find all the Audi dealerships in your area that you'd be willing to drive to to make a purchase.  I made a spreadsheet.

Email the sales departments on your dealership list.  In the email, tell them what car you're looking for, options, colors, etc.  Tell them that you're looking for the best price, at or below dealer invoice, and you will be buying the car by the end of the month.  Don't leave a phone number and tell them you want all correspondence handled via email.  It's easier if you're not trading anything in.

When I was buying my STi, I sent emails like that to 12 local Subaru dealerships.  Of the 12, one gave no response, two wrote back that they 'didn't do business that way' and the nine sent me back prices, and all were at or below dealer invoice.

I then emailed the best offer I received to the local Subaru dealership who'd been giving me good service on my 2.5 RS and asked them if they could match this price.  They emailed me back a price within $100.  I replied with my fax # and told them to send me a PO and I'd sign for it.

I went in two days later and met the saleman for the first time, signed the papers and drove off in a brand new silver STi.  It was the easiest, hassle-free buying experience I'd ever had.  Absolutely no haggling.

HTH.

This post should be stickied somewhere.

GoCougs

But haggling's fun, and the way to a better deal in a lot of cases IMO. After a certain point it's self defeating though; I have few friends that will go absolutely jihad on the car buying process to save $500 - $1,000 (ain't worth tens or scores of hours IMO).

When I bought my Accord, I walked into the dealership went up to the first salesperson and said I wanted to buy an Accord and that I'll write a check today. Walked out an hour later at $1,500 under invoice.

My advice FWIW is that factory discounts don't come out of dealer pocket (and shouldn't be a part of negotiations), dealers get all sorts of factory bonuses/discounts/savings/etc. not necessarily tied to any car in particular but rather total sales volume, and dealers have to pay interest on inventory.

In short, unless it's something hot, you should be paying invoice, and generally should shoot for about 10% below. But of course to REALLY save money buy a slightly used example and save big but that's another thread.

Minpin

I agree with cougs, if you tell them you'll cut a check that day, they'll be much more willing to deal than through some filthy e-mail.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Rupert

Quote from: dazzleman on April 04, 2010, 08:15:28 AM
Information is the key.  You need to know the invoice price of the car, and each option, before you go to the dealer.  It's easier than ever to get that information.  Check out edmunds.com.

The other key is to make the dealer believe that you'd just as soon buy another car, and that the sale depends upon getting a good price.  Never let them see that this is the car you really want.  You have to keep a poker face.

The last part is to show you're serious.  They know that once you walk out the door without buying, there's only a chance you'll ever be there.  But a warm body in front of them is worth a lot.  So if you make it clear that you'll sign the papers before you walk out that door, if they give you the price you want, you'll get a better deal.

Also, be non-commital on the financing until after you get your price.  You can lead them to believe you'll take financing, but you need to imply that you're not dependent on getting it from the dealer.  If they think you need their financing to buy the car, you'll get raped.  That's probably not the case with your situation, but I'm just putting it out there as general information.

Wow, you have some strange customs on the east coast...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Jon?

Quote from: GoCougs on April 04, 2010, 02:35:35 PM
But of course to REALLY save money buy a slightly used example and save big but that's another thread.

Truth.

Current Rides: 2011 VW Golf TDi, 2008 Pontiac Vibe

dazzleman

Quote from: Rupert on April 04, 2010, 02:51:14 PM
Wow, you have some strange customs on the east coast...

:huh:
What does that mean?

When it comes to financing, it's always good to have other options than the dealer.  I haven't used financing for a while, but when I bought my Maxima in 1997, I financed it.  They'll pretty much charge you whatever rate they think they can get away with.  I made it clear that I had offers from banks, and they asked me what interest rate I was able to get.  I said that they had to make me an offer before I told them that.  They offered me a rate below what the banks offered, so I financed through Nissan.  But clearly if I'd told them what the banks had offered me, they'd have charged something higher.  My sister had bad credit when she got her car, and had to pay 14% interest.  You have to do your homework and not be dependent on the dealer.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

SVT666

Hey Teuts: Even on a very steep hill, you shouldn't roll more then 6".

CALL_911

Quote from: dazzleman on April 04, 2010, 04:17:40 PM
:huh:
What does that mean?

When it comes to financing, it's always good to have other options than the dealer.  I haven't used financing for a while, but when I bought my Maxima in 1997, I financed it.  They'll pretty much charge you whatever rate they think they can get away with.  I made it clear that I had offers from banks, and they asked me what interest rate I was able to get.  I said that they had to make me an offer before I told them that.  They offered me a rate below what the banks offered, so I financed through Nissan.  But clearly if I'd told them what the banks had offered me, they'd have charged something higher.  My sister had bad credit when she got her car, and had to pay 14% interest.  You have to do your homework and not be dependent on the dealer.

I think it's more the concept of taking a car loan that's what he's not cool with. Logically, it's stupid to take a loan out on something like a car, I suppose. Hell, at this point, I wouldn't think of buying a car I couldn't pay for in cash but that could very well change in the future. Then again, my parents have never taken out a loan for anything except the house.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Minpin

Ya'll both fail.  :facepalm: He was making a joke about where dazzle said: "If they think you need their financing to buy the car, you'll get raped." See it now? If they think you need financing they break out the lube and ram a dick up your butthole. That's what getting raped is, if you're lucky. Maybe you will get lube, maybe not. He could care less how you pay for the thing, he was making a joke! FFS  

Rupert

No, man, I was, like, making a deep statement about, like, the state of the world, when, ya know, you can, uh, totally steal a, uh, like, uh, car? And, like, not pay for it?

Yeah, no, Minpin has it right, duh.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Rupert

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 04, 2010, 04:50:22 PM
I think it's more the concept of taking a car loan that's what he's not cool with. Logically, it's stupid to take a loan out on something like a car, I suppose. Hell, at this point, I wouldn't think of buying a car I couldn't pay for in cash but that could very well change in the future. Then again, my parents have never taken out a loan for anything except the house.

Dude, like, the concepts!!!

Minpin

Quote from: Rupert on April 04, 2010, 05:08:13 PM
No, man, I was, like, making a deep statement about, like, the state of the world, when, ya know, you can, uh, totally steal a, uh, like, uh, car? And, like, not pay for it?

Did you just vomit trying to say I was correct?  :lol:

Minpin

Anyways a good rule of thumb I have heard on what kind of car you can afford is to NEVER buy one that is more than 1/2 of your yearly salary, and the lower you go the better. Obviously.

Rupert

Quote from: Minpin on April 04, 2010, 05:11:16 PM
Did you just vomit trying to say I was correct?  :lol:

Diarrhea. Not cool.

Minpin

Quote from: Rupert on April 04, 2010, 05:19:43 PM
Diarrhea. Not cool.

Out. Of. Your. MOUTH???????????????? :heated:

dazzleman

Quote from: Rupert on April 04, 2010, 05:08:13 PM

:banghead:
I'm an idiot.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Rupert

Quote from: Minpin on April 04, 2010, 05:22:50 PM
Out. Of. Your. MOUTH???????????????? :heated:

Yeah, I think I should see a doctor.

Rupert

BimmerM3

Let's play "How many times can we hijack the same thread?"

Rupert

HAY Did u guise c da sox gamez?!?!? Itz still one111!

giant_mtb

The car will be paid for in cash, most likely not financed. I kept the salesman slightly at bay and told him I'd considered cars like the Stang and WRX, even though they don't really compete with each other. He sent me an email saying he had three models spec'd how I'd want them coming over, so I'm going to send him a response asking for more details on the cars' specifics as well as a price quote.

I wasn't aware people bought cars under invoice...wouldn't that put the dealer at a loss?  I'll probably hit up at least one more Audi dealer so I can get some price leverage and a better idea of prices. Edmund says people are paying between invoice and MSRP for manual A4s.

dazzleman

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 04, 2010, 06:49:25 PM
The car will be paid for in cash, most likely not financed. I kept the salesman slightly at bay and told him I'd considered cars like the Stang and WRX, even though they don't really compete with each other. He sent me an email saying he had three models spec'd how I'd want them coming over, so I'm going to send him a response asking for more details on the cars' specifics as well as a price quote.

I wasn't aware people bought cars under invoice...wouldn't that put the dealer at a loss?  I'll probably hit up at least one more Audi dealer so I can get some price leverage and a better idea of prices. Edmund says people are paying between invoice and MSRP for manual A4s.

Sometimes the manufacturer gives dealers incentives to push certain cars, so they can still make money selling under invoice because the invoice is effectively lowered by the incentives.

Raza

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 04, 2010, 06:49:25 PM

Dealers sell cars below invoice for two reasons:
1.  They didn't actually pay invoice.
2.  It costs them more to keep the car on the lot than to sell at a loss.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CALL_911

d'oh

failure on my part

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

Quote from: Minpin on April 04, 2010, 09:55:24 AM
At Texas drivers ed they teach us 2 carlengths in between you and the other car when stopped, and they fail you in your final test if you don't do that. I dunno if that makes it law, but it's certainly more than just a dbag move.

Two lengths when stopped!? 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=21694.msg1302000#msg1302000 date=1270430038

Two is a lot...... Heck, ONE is a lot.

dazzleman

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=21694.msg1302000#msg1302000 date=1270430038

That seems absurd.  :huh:

S204STi

Quote from: Raza  on April 04, 2010, 06:58:44 PM
Dealers sell cars below invoice for two reasons:
1.  They didn't actually pay invoice.
2.  It costs them more to keep the car on the lot than to sell at a loss.

Yep, plus if you have a trade-in and/or buy accessories those are other ways they can make money off of what would seem to be an upside-down deal for them