Audi A4

Started by giant_mtb, April 03, 2010, 03:19:12 PM

CALL_911

Quote from: CJ on April 03, 2010, 11:14:31 PM
I have to say it....Drive an S40 T5M, if you can find one.  They're supposed to be good to drive. 

lol

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CJ

Pretty much the same basic thing as a Euro Focus ST.

the Teuton

Quote from: CJ on April 03, 2010, 11:35:36 PM
Pretty much the same basic thing as a Euro Focus ST.

...except almost $30,000...
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

giant_mtb

Or I'll just get an A4 cause my heart and mind are both in love with it.

saxonyron

Quote from: Rupert on April 03, 2010, 08:01:02 PM
You don't need a handbrake or a hill holdy thing once you have a clue. I can count the number of times I've used the handbrake on a hill on one hand, ever, and I've lived in some hilly places.

I would use the handbrake when I parallel parked my '06 A4 backing up a hill.  It can be done without of course, but with a lot more drama.  When you're squeezing into a space on a wicked hill with 16" of space on either bumper, the hand brake is a no-brainer.  The electric one I guess you could use once you figure out the precise dynamics of how it disengages and you can get your feet synchronized. 

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

saxonyron

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 03, 2010, 11:59:14 PM
Or I'll just get an A4 cause my heart and mind are both in love with it.

No amount of coercion will convince you to abandon a car that you are passionate about and stray to anything else, even if it's illogical to stay with your heart.  Good thing it's completely logical to stick it out and go with the A4.  I can tell you've got your mind made up, so just enjoy the ride and go for it.  I loved my A4 totally.  The only reason I switched up to the A6 was room.  And I had to check my manhood at the door and get an automatic tranny.  :cry:  You absollutely will not be disappointed with an A4 - they are remarkable cars and will put a smile on your face every time you take a drive.  That doesn't mean that everyone else's suggestions suck, but they are suggesting cars that don't move you, so why bother?  When I bought my A4 in '06, I pursued due diligence and tried Infiniti, BMW and Volvo.  The G35 was amazing, but unrefined and RWD only (with the manual), so no deal.  The BMW dealer was so assholish, I walked out and never even took a test drive.  I pulled into the Volvo lot, looked around at the rolling cubes and said to myself "Who am I kidding??", and pulled right out of the lot never to return.  I was behind the wheel of my A4 shortly thereafter. 

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

BimmerM3

Quote from: the Teuton on April 03, 2010, 10:15:00 PM
Yeah, like 2 feet. Drive stick in the 'Burgh, learn control. It's not that tough with a little practice, but being comfortable with stick definitely helps.

FEET!? If you roll back more than a few inches, you aren't very good at driving stick.

Rupert

Depends on the hill and the clutch.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

dazzleman

I love the A4.  Great choice.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: saxonyron on April 04, 2010, 12:14:09 AM
No amount of coercion will convince you to abandon a car that you are passionate about and stray to anything else, even if it's illogical to stay with your heart.  Good thing it's completely logical to stick it out and go with the A4.  I can tell you've got your mind made up, so just enjoy the ride and go for it.  I loved my A4 totally.  The only reason I switched up to the A6 was room.  And I had to check my manhood at the door and get an automatic tranny.  :cry:  You absollutely will not be disappointed with an A4 - they are remarkable cars and will put a smile on your face every time you take a drive.  That doesn't mean that everyone else's suggestions suck, but they are suggesting cars that don't move you, so why bother?  When I bought my A4 in '06, I pursued due diligence and tried Infiniti, BMW and Volvo.  The G35 was amazing, but unrefined and RWD only (with the manual), so no deal.  The BMW dealer was so assholish, I walked out and never even took a test drive.  I pulled into the Volvo lot, looked around at the rolling cubes and said to myself "Who am I kidding??", and pulled right out of the lot never to return.  I was behind the wheel of my A4 shortly thereafter.  

The automatic tranny is nowhere near as emasculating as the way you drive that stupid minivan or whatever it is... :lol:

Funny you found the BMW dealers assholish.  I dumped the first dealer I went to for that reason.  I found a really cool salesman at the second dealer who reminds me of the Mr. Bentley character from "The Jeffersons."  I got so used to referring to him as Mr. Bentley that I forgot his real name for a little while... :lol:

And what the fuck were you doing at a Volvo dealer?  You never told me that one before!  Volvo is the car a guy drives when his wife makes the car buying decisions....I rarely hear of a guy driving a Volvo because it was the car HE wanted.  It's always, "well, I really wanted a BMW (or Audi, or Infiniti), but my wife wanted us to get the Volvo."  I actually like the way Volvos drive for the most part, but their marketing is so nanny-state that most men naturally recoil from it.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

giant_mtb

Yeah, I mean I pretty much have had my mind made up for a month or so. I didn't make this thread as a "what should I get" thread...more of a "I've never purchased a car; help!" thread. :huh: :lol:

dazzleman

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 04, 2010, 08:11:05 AM
Yeah, I mean I pretty much have had my mind made up for a month or so. I didn't make this thread as a "what should I get" thread...more of a "I've never purchased a car; help!" thread. :huh: :lol:

Information is the key.  You need to know the invoice price of the car, and each option, before you go to the dealer.  It's easier than ever to get that information.  Check out edmunds.com.

The other key is to make the dealer believe that you'd just as soon buy another car, and that the sale depends upon getting a good price.  Never let them see that this is the car you really want.  You have to keep a poker face.

The last part is to show you're serious.  They know that once you walk out the door without buying, there's only a chance you'll ever be there.  But a warm body in front of them is worth a lot.  So if you make it clear that you'll sign the papers before you walk out that door, if they give you the price you want, you'll get a better deal.

Also, be non-commital on the financing until after you get your price.  You can lead them to believe you'll take financing, but you need to imply that you're not dependent on getting it from the dealer.  If they think you need their financing to buy the car, you'll get raped.  That's probably not the case with your situation, but I'm just putting it out there as general information.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 03, 2010, 06:00:38 PM
I honestly do not want a BMW. They don't stir my insides, and I don't wanna be just another college dewd with a 3series. :huh:

:rockon:

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: Rupert on April 03, 2010, 08:01:02 PM
You don't need a handbrake or a hill holdy thing once you have a clue. I can count the number of times I've used the handbrake on a hill on one hand, ever, and I've lived in some hilly places.

Agreed, just be quick  :huh:

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: the Teuton on April 03, 2010, 10:58:03 PM
If you're this worried about parallel parking in a city, don't get a new car -- or get those little bumperettes.

I have a small scrape on one corner of my rear bumper because on-street parking necessitates douchebags part all around me. They've hit my car's rear bumper multiple times. If you're parking on-street, you have no room to complain. If you have a $35k car, you should be able to afford a $1-2k/year parking pass for a lot.

Yeah, NOLA is a big parallel parking city and some asshole punctured my rear bumper with his license plate when he was parking.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: CJ on April 03, 2010, 11:14:31 PM
I have to say it....Drive an S40 T5M, if you can find one.  They're supposed to be good to drive. 

Yeah...not nearly as good as the new A4 however.

the Teuton

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 04, 2010, 01:49:29 AM
FEET!? If you roll back more than a few inches, you aren't very good at driving stick.

That really isn't a whole lot. We have some massive hills here, and if some asshat is really that close to you in line at a stoplight, they deserve some touch.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

MX793

Quote from: the Teuton on April 04, 2010, 08:43:56 AM
That really isn't a whole lot. We have some massive hills here, and if some asshat is really that close to you in line at a stoplight, they deserve some touch.

Of course, if you roll back and hit them, they can legally go after you for any damages...
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: dazzleman on April 04, 2010, 06:25:24 AM
And what the fuck were you doing at a Volvo dealer?  You never told me that one before!  Volvo is the car a guy drives when his wife makes the car buying decisions....I rarely hear of a guy driving a Volvo because it was the car HE wanted.  It's always, "well, I really wanted a BMW (or Audi, or Infiniti), but my wife wanted us to get the Volvo."  I actually like the way Volvos drive for the most part, but their marketing is so nanny-state that most men naturally recoil from it.

My dad drove my mom's old Volvos from 1997-2006. From 1997-2002, it was the 1987 Volvo 740 GLE wagon. He sold it to the Audi dealer in 2002 for $700 :lol:

dazzleman

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on April 04, 2010, 08:48:24 AM

My dad drove my mom's old Volvos from 1997-2006. From 1997-2002, it was the 1987 Volvo 740 GLE wagon. He sold it to the Audi dealer in 2002 for $700 :lol:

I rest my case... :lol:

I bet he never really wanted a Volvo.  Either that, or he doesn't care about cars.

the Teuton

Quote from: MX793 on April 04, 2010, 08:44:46 AM
Of course, if you roll back and hit them, they can legally go after you for any damages...

There should be a general understanding of giving someone space, especially if you see/hear that they're driving a manual car. That said, a) 5 mph isn't enough to damage any car with plastic bumpers unless you're scraping the side of it, b) I've never rolled back into another car but I fully support the fact that we should be aware of those around us who have the potential to roll back, and c) don't be a douche; learn driving etiquette.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: dazzleman on April 04, 2010, 08:50:24 AM
I rest my case... :lol:

I bet he never really wanted a Volvo.  Either that, or he doesn't care about cars.

He does not at all care about cars :facepalm: In 1997, he sold this guy for $100 to the Volvo dealer

MX793

Quote from: the Teuton on April 04, 2010, 08:51:00 AM
There should be a general understanding of giving someone space, especially if you see/hear that they're driving a manual car. That said, a) 5 mph isn't enough to damage any car with plastic bumpers unless you're scraping the side of it, b) I've never rolled back into another car but I fully support the fact that we should be aware of those around us who have the potential to roll back, and c) don't be a douche; learn driving etiquette.

5 mph is certainly enough to scratch up the paint on the other vehicle, and the owner is certainly entitled to go after you for repair of said scratches.  While it's bad etiquette to stop so close to the vehicle in front of you, it is not against the traffic code.  It is not justification for damaging another person's vehicle, whether intentional or not.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

the Teuton

Quote from: MX793 on April 04, 2010, 08:58:29 AM
5 mph is certainly enough to scratch up the paint on the other vehicle, and the owner is certainly entitled to go after you for repair of said scratches.  While it's bad etiquette to stop so close to the vehicle in front of you, it is not against the traffic code.  It is not justification for damaging another person's vehicle, whether intentional or not.

C) Don't be a douche; learn driving etiquette.

the Teuton

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on April 04, 2010, 08:58:29 AM

He does not at all care about cars :facepalm: In 1997, he sold this guy for $100 to the Volvo dealer

I would so rock that. Nice car. Is that one of the "unintended acceleration" Audis?

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: the Teuton on April 04, 2010, 09:02:06 AM
I would so rock that. Nice car. Is that one of the "unintended acceleration" Audis?

Yup :praise: He left it unlocked in NYC once and found it with half the stereo remaining. He was upset about his gym bag being stolen out of the trunk :lol:

GoCougs

Yeah, you roll into the guy in back of you at a stoplight on a hill, no two ways about it that's your fault.

ifcar

Quote from: the Teuton on April 04, 2010, 08:51:00 AM

It doesn't take much speed to do some damage.

^6 mph.

MX793

Quote from: the Teuton on April 04, 2010, 09:00:59 AM
C) Don't be a douche; learn driving etiquette.

Damaging somebody else's vehicle = illegal
Being a douche with poor driving etiquette = not illegal
Needs more Jiggawatts

SVT666

Quote from: the Teuton on April 04, 2010, 08:43:56 AM
You think people actually know you're driving a stick?  10% of the population has a stick, and the other 90% don't know what a stick is or that there might be some roll back on a hill start.  Besides, if you roll back more then 6" on a very steep hill, you're rolling too much anyway.