Audi A4

Started by giant_mtb, April 03, 2010, 03:19:12 PM

Jon?

Quote from: omicron on April 05, 2010, 09:49:09 AM
Two car-lengths?? Dear me.

That seems a bit much.  I stop so I can see the rear tires of the car ahead of me.  Typically it allows anyone driving a standard enough room to not roll into me, and room for me to drive around if I have to.

Current Rides: 2011 VW Golf TDi, 2008 Pontiac Vibe

saxonyron

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 04, 2010, 07:17:14 PM
Gotcha.  I'm not sure what the case is here as, like I said, Edmunds is telling me that people (on average, obviously) are paying above invoice but still below MSRP. 

How should I respond to the email he sent me saying he found some the way I'd want them?  He gave me a base MSRP for them.  I was thinking something like "blah blah, hi, hello; Could you give me more details about some of the cars' specific options, as well as price quotes?"  Just keep it simple like that?

You should easily be able to get it for about 10% below invoice.  Don't feel shy about bargaining just because you are buying a luxury car.  Rich people aren't stoopid, you know.  Depending upon the time of year, you could do better, but spring is a strong selling season, plus the car market is picking up a bit, so you won't have too much leverage.  Your best bet to see how much leverage you have is to make a low offer, maybe 13-15% below, and see what happens.  You'll probably end up 8-10% below MSRP.  But always be prepared to walk away from any deal.  If you walk away and the dealer doesn't chase you back down with a counter offer or acceptance of your offer, you know the market is strong and he feels he can get more for the car from someone else.  No hard feelings.  Then you can either go to another dealer and work towards a slightly higher price, or go back to the first guy saying "OK, I'll take your offer."  He's a salesman and needs to sell cars to make a living.  He knows how low he can go, and you know how much you want to pay.  It's really not that complicated once you realize both parties want this to work out. And it's actually kind of fun along the way. 

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

giant_mtb

Quote from: saxonyron on April 05, 2010, 09:56:33 PM
You should easily be able to get it for about 10% below invoice.  Don't feel shy about bargaining just because you are buying a luxury car.  Rich people aren't stoopid, you know.  Depending upon the time of year, you could do better, but spring is a strong selling season, plus the car market is picking up a bit, so you won't have too much leverage.  Your best bet to see how much leverage you have is to make a low offer, maybe 13-15% below, and see what happens.  You'll probably end up 8-10% below MSRP.  But always be prepared to walk away from any deal.  If you walk away and the dealer doesn't chase you back down with a counter offer or acceptance of your offer, you know the market is strong and he feels he can get more for the car from someone else.  No hard feelings.  Then you can either go to another dealer and work towards a slightly higher price, or go back to the first guy saying "OK, I'll take your offer."  He's a salesman and needs to sell cars to make a living.  He knows how low he can go, and you know how much you want to pay.  It's really not that complicated once you realize both parties want this to work out. And it's actually kind of fun along the way. 

Thanks man. :ohyeah:

Bargaining will come once I return to the dealer to actually pick up the car, assuming I get one from this dealership.  Unless we work out some sort of deal via e-mail or over the phone, which I doubt we would so far in advance.

SVT666

Quote from: Jon? on April 05, 2010, 10:14:35 AM
That seems a bit much.  I stop so I can see the rear tires of the car ahead of me.  Typically it allows anyone driving a standard enough room to not roll into me, and room for me to drive around if I have to.
That's what I do too.  It also leaves enough room that if I'm rearended, I probably won't hit the car in front.  Also, it allows enough room that I can start driving as soon as they do, and I don't need to wait for them to put enough distance between us before I start up.

saxonyron

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 05, 2010, 10:13:02 PM
Thanks man. :ohyeah:

Bargaining will come once I return to the dealer to actually pick up the car, assuming I get one from this dealership.  Unless we work out some sort of deal via e-mail or over the phone, which I doubt we would so far in advance.

Just be careful of getting painted into a corner "because I got this car into my dealership just for you."  As long as you haven't given any deposits or signed any purchase agreements, you are still in full bargaining mode.  Good luck!

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

nickdrinkwater

I'd never spend that kind of money on a new car, and I'd never buy a 'luxury' marque brand new.  Depreciation will be pretty horrendous.  I know it's not your money though...

ifcar

Quote from: Jon? on April 05, 2010, 10:14:35 AM

Just "typically"? So, what, they only hit you one time in ten?

GoCougs

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on April 06, 2010, 10:38:23 AM
I'd never spend that kind of money on a new car, and I'd never buy a 'luxury' marque brand new.  Depreciation will be pretty horrendous.  I know it's not your money though...

I was resisting going down this road but since you brought it up and the thread has had a good run on the topic at hand...

Yeah, I'd take ~$5k of that ~$35k and buy a well-used Civic or something as college is murder on cars. I'd wait till graduation and a job and then buy something more enticing.

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on April 06, 2010, 10:58:55 AM
I was resisting going down this road but since you brought it up and the thread has had a good run on the topic at hand...

Yeah, I'd take ~$5k of that ~$35k and buy a well-used Civic or something as college is murder on cars. I'd wait till graduation and a job and then buy something more enticing.

College is murder on cars?  Maybe if you are going to college in a major city...

I had my Passat all four years in school and it was in pretty much perfect condition by the end of my term; the lease inspector said it was the best lease return he'd ever seen. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

the Teuton

Quote from: Raza  on April 06, 2010, 11:23:00 AM
College is murder on cars?  Maybe if you are going to college in a major city...

I had my Passat all four years in school and it was in pretty much perfect condition by the end of my term; the lease inspector said it was the best lease return he'd ever seen. 

On-street parking isn't so kind.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Jon?

Quote from: ifcar on April 06, 2010, 10:49:39 AM
Just "typically"? So, what, they only hit you one time in ten?

No, that's never happened.  Sorry if that wasn't clear.  :rolleyes:

Current Rides: 2011 VW Golf TDi, 2008 Pontiac Vibe

ifcar

Quote from: Jon? on April 06, 2010, 12:24:54 PM
No, that's never happened.  Sorry if that wasn't clear.  :rolleyes:

I was kidding. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on April 06, 2010, 11:51:59 AM

I agree; if I were going to college in a major city where I had to park on the street instead of a lot or garage, I'd agree with Cougs, but I don't know what Chris's college area is like.  I had a lot all the way through school, though not always attached to my building, but I parked on the street sometimes as well (especially when I lived out of the downtown area).  It's kind of simple to say that "college" is murder on cars when college campuses and surrounding areas are can differ wildly. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

Quote from: the Teuton on April 06, 2010, 11:51:59 AM

I parked in the dormatory lots (even had a spot in a garage for a while) and still got some dings.  Worst of which was a mark on the bumper where somebody backing out of a space bumped into me.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Minpin

My car's suffered no damage from 2 years in a city. None. Lot last year and a garage this year.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

BimmerM3

Quote from: Raza  on April 06, 2010, 12:38:29 PM
I agree; if I were going to college in a major city where I had to park on the street instead of a lot or garage, I'd agree with Cougs, but I don't know what Chris's college area is like.  I had a lot all the way through school, though not always attached to my building, but I parked on the street sometimes as well (especially when I lived out of the downtown area).  It's kind of simple to say that "college" is murder on cars when college campuses and surrounding areas are can differ wildly. 

Even if there was a few scratches and dings, I'm not sure that qualifies as "murder on cars." For those who aren't aware, there's a lot more to a car than the metal on the outside.

giant_mtb

Salesman e-mailed me today, said there's 2 like this one in port, and another on it's way that he could get to his dealership.  Sent me a pricing sheet along with.

MX793

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 06, 2010, 03:24:07 PM
Even if there was a few scratches and dings, I'm not sure that qualifies as "murder on cars." For those who aren't aware, there's a lot more to a car than the metal on the outside.

Yes, but nothing kills resale in the eyes of a buyer than obvious visual defects and blemishes (chips, deep scratches, scuffs and dents).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

College is murder on cars, that is, if you had a good college experience; puke in the back seat, way overloaded interior carrying anything from stolen street signs to a half a dozen drunken friends, dings in the lot/on street, blizzards/driving on salt/snow-covered roads, burn-outs in the parking lot, jaunts up dirt roads for miles on end to some party spot to gods knows what else. It is proven that 1 college mile is worth exactly 9.32 regular miles.

the Teuton

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 06, 2010, 04:55:44 PM
Salesman e-mailed me today, said there's 2 like this one in port, and another on it's way that he could get to his dealership.  Sent me a pricing sheet along with.

That's a whole hell of a lot cheaper than most 3ers.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on April 06, 2010, 08:31:53 PM
College is murder on cars, that is, if you had a good college experience; puke in the back seat, way overloaded interior carrying anything from stolen street signs to a half a dozen drunken friends, dings in the lot/on street, blizzards/driving on salt/snow-covered roads, burn-outs in the parking lot, jaunts up dirt roads for miles on end to some party spot to gods knows what else. It is proven that 1 college mile is worth exactly 9.32 regular miles.

I take it you didn't know anyone else with a car? 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

CJ

You consider that a good college experience?  To me, that sounds like shit.

The Pirate

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 08:44:55 PM

Wait til you experience college to pass judgment.  It's a unique time in life, and Coug's assessment is pretty good.  Not necessarily everything on the list, or even a literal translation, but there are plenty of debauchery and shenanigans that must be experienced.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Submariner

I'm not sure where you got such numbers from...

In some instances, college can be hell for a car.  Most of my friends who went to college in the city had numerous, large scratches, dents, etc by the time they got out, whereas my friends who went to rural/smaller schools generally had less damage.  Then again, I'm going on a small, selected population - so it's not a very scientific "study"
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

giant_mtb

Sounds like typical driving for my town and friends. :huh: :lol:  Minus the puke.  Never had that happen.

GoCougs

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 08:44:55 PM

Ha! Yer setting yerself up for a terrible college experience!

Also forgot - keg rolling around in the trunk, a "party ball" (2.5 gallon plastic keg w/integral pump) breaking in the trunk, blasting through snow drifts, driving out in the fields - I think you get the drift. This comprises exactly 4.5% of my college experience.

Rupert

I had a good college experience by Cougs' standards (less frats, more hippies), and my cars didn't suffer because of it.

Leave that to some other person's car.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

GoCougs

Quote from: Submariner on April 06, 2010, 08:52:03 PM

In some instances, college can be hell for a car.  Most of my friends who went to college in the city had numerous, large scratches, dents, etc by the time they got out, whereas my friends who went to rural/smaller schools generally had less damage.  Then again, I'm going on a small, selected population - so it's not a very scientific "study"

Nah - just a superlative on my part.

I would like to think you don't get much more rural than WSU - it's out in the middle of wheat fields; pretty much everything outside this pic is wheat fields:

the Teuton

Quote from: Submariner on April 06, 2010, 08:52:03 PM

In some instances, college can be hell for a car.  Most of my friends who went to college in the city had numerous, large scratches, dents, etc by the time they got out, whereas my friends who went to rural/smaller schools generally had less damage.  Then again, I'm going on a small, selected population - so it's not a very scientific "study"

Want me to take pictures of my car tomorrow? Forewarning: I didn't cause any of the damage myself.

Rupert

Why was that a warning?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA