Audi A4

Started by giant_mtb, April 03, 2010, 03:19:12 PM

Rupert

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 11, 2010, 03:07:14 PM
If I had 35k sitting around for a car, I'd be looking at new anyways.  What's wrong with the idea of having something brand new? 

It's not the idea, it's the reality. :lol:

But I would do the same as you if I had that kind of money gifted to me just for a car.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

dazzleman

If I had 35k sitting around for a car, I'd be looking at new anyways.  What's wrong with the idea of having something brand new? 

Did you have to spend the money on a car?  Or could you have bought a more economical car, and kept the difference as savings?

I agree with those who say you should follow the owner's manual when it comes to the fuel.  NEVER trust the salesman on stuff like that.  Car salesmen are not your friend.

I have to admit I agree with Greg.  At your age, a less expensive and more economical car would have made more sense.  Better to wait until you're settled in a career before getting such an expensive car.  But what's done is done, and I really hope you enjoy it.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Colonel Cadillac

1st and 2nd year of depreciation my friend. I could have spent more on my car, but I didn't need to. Mine's fully loaded (sans sport package :heated: and navigation system) and its sticker price was right around $44,000. I bought it for nearly half that.

dazzleman

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on April 11, 2010, 03:34:46 PM

1st and 2nd year of depreciation my friend. I could have spent more on my car, but I didn't need to. Mine's fully loaded (sans sport package :heated: and navigation system) and its sticker price was right around $44,000. I bought it for nearly half that.

I'm thinking seriously about going with pre-owned the next car I get.  Maybe a 2-year-old car coming off lease.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Rupert

Assuming that he couldn't keep the leftover money if he bought a cheaper car, what about this is impractical? It's basically a nicer version of an Accord or Civic, practicality speaking, and no one would be telling him to buy something more economical than that. Shit, give me $35k under those conditions, and I'm coming out with a used Porsche, or some fast convertible.

I mean, if he gets $35k no matter what, then, yeah, I would think a better idea would be $10k of used car, and $25k of college tuition, retirement investment, house down payment, etc.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

giant_mtb

Quote from: dazzleman on April 11, 2010, 03:29:50 PM
Did you have to spend the money on a car?  Or could you have bought a more economical car, and kept the difference as savings?

I agree with those who say you should follow the owner's manual when it comes to the fuel.  NEVER trust the salesman on stuff like that.  Car salesmen are not your friend.

I have to admit I agree with Greg.  At your age, a less expensive and more economical car would have made more sense.  Better to wait until you're settled in a career before getting such an expensive car.  But what's done is done, and I really hope you enjoy it.

Isn't the basis of human psychology to maximize utility?  If given x amount of money for nothing, a person is going to use x amount of money, for whatever they wish.  In this case, my grandparents buy the grandkids a car so that once we do get out into the world of real life and have to find careers, etc...we have a good, reliable vehicle already at hand.  Beyond that, my grandfather purchased for each of us a nice amount of IBM stock (enough for, say, a down payment on a house) to also act as a "life-starter."  It's not because they're trying to spoil us, it's because they're trying to help. :huh:

Rupert

But... It's not his money, and the money bags don't seem to care about such things, so... What's the problem?

giant_mtb

Sure, but it isn't my money, so depreciation isn't as much of a consideration.  Even if it were, I'm going to be keeping this car for a very, very long time; no doubt.  Perhaps that makes me sound like a "snob" or something, but...I mean...shit.  I'm gonna maximize the opportunity, and I'm very very grateful for it. :huh:

Rupert

See, rich kids? This is an example of not being a dick about mommy and daddy's money. :lol:

dazzleman

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 11, 2010, 03:38:59 PM
Isn't the basis of human psychology to maximize utility?  If given x amount of money for nothing, a person is going to use x amount of money, for whatever they wish.  In this case, my grandparents buy the grandkids a car so that once we do get out into the world of real life and have to find careers, etc...we have a good, reliable vehicle already at hand.  Beyond that, my grandfather purchased for each of us a nice amount of IBM stock (enough for, say, a down payment on a house) to also act as a "life-starter."  It's not because they're trying to spoil us, it's because they're trying to help. :huh:

It depends on whether they say, "here's $35,000, spend what you want on a car and keep the rest" or "you have up to $35,000 to spend on a car, let me know the cost of what you decide upon and I'll write you a check for that amount."

In the second circumstance, the typical person would spend $35,000 on the car, because there's no incentive to spend less.  In the first circumstance, a practical person would spend less on a car, and keep the rest of the money for other needs.

hotrodalex

Hmmm... $35k for a car in college?

Gimme one of these:

dazzleman

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 11, 2010, 03:41:55 PM
Sure, but it isn't my money, so depreciation isn't as much of a consideration.  Even if it were, I'm going to be keeping this car for a very, very long time; no doubt.  Perhaps that makes me sound like a "snob" or something, but...I mean...shit.  I'm gonna maximize the opportunity, and I'm very very grateful for it. :huh:

You seem to have the right attitude about these things.  Good for you.

S204STi

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 11, 2010, 12:18:46 PM
Robert - salesman - said I could run regular fuel in the beast.  I assumed as much, since I'm sure the computers compensate just fine.  That's the case with most newer turbo'd engines, right?  I'll probably run premium for the first few tanks, though, for sure, and probably just compromise at mid-grade from there.

I wouldn't make any decisions based on the information your salesman provides.  Check the owner's manual first and make sure to run only whatever it recommends.

GoCougs

In my voluminous experience kids do better when given less but that's beside the point now - decision's been made so there's no use belaboring the point.

giant_mtb

Quote from: dazzleman on April 11, 2010, 03:53:42 PM
It depends on whether they say, "here's $35,000, spend what you want on a car and keep the rest" or "you have up to $35,000 to spend on a car, let me know the cost of what you decide upon and I'll write you a check for that amount."

In the second circumstance, the typical person would spend $35,000 on the car, because there's no incentive to spend less.  In the first circumstance, a practical person would spend less on a car, and keep the rest of the money for other needs.

Well, to be honest, I don't think anybody's attempted option one. Given that option, I'd be hard pressed in figuring out why to use such money for.

Also, my brother got a used vehicle ('08 Escalade) via this deal. It was what he wanted in the 35k range so that's what he got. And stuff

MX793

Of course, finding a used car spec'ed the way you want can be very difficult.  It's one of the reasons why, if I can afford it, I'll buy new.  My tastes in cars do not align well with the rest of the population in the region and there are certain things I'm just not willing to settle on.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

dazzleman

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 11, 2010, 04:01:42 PM
Well, to be honest, I don't think anybody's attempted option one. Given that option, I'd be hard pressed in figuring out why to use such money for.

Also, my brother got a used vehicle ('08 Escalade) via this deal. It was what he wanted in the 35k range so that's what he got. And stuff

You don't have to 'use' the extra money.  You could put it away for a future need.  There will be many.

In any case, I apologize for belaboring the point.  Your decision has been made, and I hope you really enjoy your new car, and that it gives you many years of happy motoring.

Catman

Quote from: dazzleman on April 11, 2010, 04:04:31 PM
You don't have to 'use' the extra money.  You could put it away for a future need.  There will be many.

In any case, I apologize for belaboring the point.  Your decision has been made, and I hope you really enjoy your new car, and that it gives you many years of happy motoring.

Well, I am confused because the question hasn't been answered.  If someone was giving me $35K and said here, get a car with it and whatever is leftover is yours than I would not be getting a 35K car.  I'd go cheaper and grab a bunch of bike stuff and put the rest in the bank.  If the money was just for a car than yeah I don't have an issue with getting the Audi.  To be honest I can't really relate to the whole scenario. 

dazzleman

Quote from: Catman on April 11, 2010, 04:12:35 PM
Well, I am confused because the question hasn't been answered.  If someone was giving me $35K and said here, get a car with it and whatever is leftover is yours than I would not be getting a 35K car.  I'd go cheaper and grab a bunch of bike stuff and put the rest in the bank.  If the money was just for a car than yeah I don't have an issue with getting the Audi.  To be honest I can't really relate to the whole scenario.

I'm basically saying the same thing you are.  I can't really relate to the scenario either, but it seems to be pretty common.

Rupert

Well, I am confused because the question hasn't been answered.  If someone was giving me $35K and said here, get a car with it and whatever is leftover is yours than I would not be getting a 35K car.  I'd go cheaper and grab a bunch of bike stuff and put the rest in the bank.  If the money was just for a car than yeah I don't have an issue with getting the Audi.  To be honest I can't really relate to the whole scenario. 

He said it was just for a car, third post above yours.

dazzleman

Quote from: Rupert on April 11, 2010, 04:19:13 PM
He said it was just for a car, third post above yours.

That's not exactly what he said, but close enough.  Greg's right that the question was actually answered.  Not that Chris actually needs to answer it.  It's none of our business.

Rupert

Quote from: dazzleman on April 11, 2010, 04:20:15 PM
That's not exactly what he said, but close enough.  Greg's right that the question was actually answered.  Not that Chris actually needs to answer it.  It's none of our business.

Wasn't the question about whether or not he could keep the leftover money? If nobody has attempted to do it like that, like he said, doesn't that include him? :huh:

dazzleman

Quote from: Rupert on April 11, 2010, 04:27:53 PM
Wasn't the question about whether or not he could keep the leftover money? If nobody has attempted to do it like that, like he said, doesn't that include him? :huh:

Just because nobody attempted it doesn't mean it couldn't be done.

giant_mtb

Quote from: GoCougs on April 11, 2010, 03:59:49 PM
In my voluminous experience kids do better when given less but that's beside the point now - decision's been made so there's no use belaboring the point.

Yeah?  Tell that to my grandparents, who worked their asses off as second-generation immigrants to get to where they are today, whom then provided for my parents and gave them opportunities like aid and money (for higher education, etc.), whom then worked their asses off so that they could provide the same advantages and help to their kids (myself and my two brothers).  And you assume I'm not going to do the same, having been given these awesome opportunities and fruits of their labor?  I wholly appreciate everything they've done for me, and dream of being able to do the same for my family one day.

You and your "experience" can suck my dick, Cougs.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: Rupert on April 11, 2010, 03:40:15 PM
But... It's not his money, and the money bags don't seem to care about such things, so... What's the problem?

I was talking about value. Example: assume there was not a new model (we're just talking B7 A4's). He buys a new car for ~35k with one, maybe 2 options. I bought a model a couple years old with all but 2 of the options and a much better warranty (yet with 27,000 miles), who has the better value?

I think I win here.

In the end, I'd probably prefer the B8.

And for the record, a new A4 was out of my price range. 

dazzleman

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 11, 2010, 05:08:53 PM
Yeah?  Tell that to my grandparents, who worked their asses off as second-generation immigrants to get to where they are today, whom then provided for my parents and gave them opportunities like aid and money (for higher education, etc.), whom then worked their asses off so that they could provide the same advantages and help to their kids (myself and my two brothers).  And you assume I'm not going to do the same, having been given these awesome opportunities and fruits of their labor?  I wholly appreciate everything they've done for me, and dream of being able to do the same for my family one day.

You and your "experience" can suck my dick, Cougs.

Dude, you probably took what he said a little more personally than it was intended.

giant_mtb

It's for a car.  The whole point is for them to help us start life by getting us a new, fresh, reliable vehicle.  The vehicle is of our choosing and has a price cap of about 35k. 

giant_mtb

Quote from: dazzleman on April 11, 2010, 05:10:37 PM
Dude, you probably took what he said a little more personally than it was intended.

I don't care.  If he's going to make such generalizations about me after I've repeatedly described how I am/feel about the whole ordeal, I'm going to respond in such a way.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: dazzleman on April 11, 2010, 05:10:37 PM

I don't think it needed to be said at all, as it has been countless times before.

dazzleman

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 11, 2010, 05:11:50 PM
I don't care.  If he's going to make such generalizations about me after I've repeatedly described how I am/feel about the whole ordeal, I'm going to respond in such a way.

I don't think he was talking about you in particular.  At least that's not the way I read it.