Audi A4

Started by giant_mtb, April 03, 2010, 03:19:12 PM

dazzleman

Quote from: saxonyron on May 02, 2010, 11:46:31 AM
So there's my reward for sticking up for you, eh?? Making fun of my pathetic little ticket?  Cruel man, cruel.  :cry:   It's just that when I decide to speed, I'm so good at ticket avoidance and radar evasion, I never get a ticket for a real big number.  It's when I'm cruising at 74 in a 55 that I let my guard down and get bagged.  I didn't even fight it in court.  Once I found out there'd be no insurance surcharges, I wrote the check.  A sad story indeed.  Thanks so much for bringing it up.   :heated:

Yeah, I could tell how broken up you were about the whole thing.... :lol:

But you're right, I shouldn't be busting your balls when you're defending my senility and old age.... :evildude:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

SVT_Power

hmm. What's that smell? Smells like old people in here.

:evildude:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

giant_mtb

:devil:

No old people allowed.

saxonyron

I might be old, but I'm still sharp enough to realize your post didn't include any new pics.  We are not impressed.  Even a mature guy like me was able to post about a dozen good pics on day one of my new car.  What gives?  We expect more from America's youth.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Laconian

Is that a recent picture? Don't Michigan's trees have leaves yet? SHENS! :evildude:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

BimmerM3

Quote from: saxonyron on May 02, 2010, 11:46:31 AM
So there's my reward for sticking up for you, eh?? Making fun of my pathetic little ticket?  Cruel man, cruel.  :cry:   It's just that when I decide to speed, I'm so good at ticket avoidance and radar evasion, I never get a ticket for a real big number.  It's when I'm cruising at 74 in a 55 that I let my guard down and get bagged.  I didn't even fight it in court.  Once I found out there'd be no insurance surcharges, I wrote the check.  A sad story indeed.  Thanks so much for bringing it up.   :heated:

19 over isn't that sissy. I got one for 13 over a couple months ago.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Laconian on May 02, 2010, 08:54:10 PM
Is that a recent picture? Don't Michigan's trees have leaves yet? SHENS! :evildude:

But man, it's the

MOTHA FUCKIN' U.P.

saxonyron

Quote from: BimmerM3 on May 02, 2010, 08:57:32 PM
19 over isn't that sissy. I got one for 13 over a couple months ago.

My high water mark is 90 in a 55, so 35 over.  But that was 20 years ago.  Considering how much time I spend in that range, I'm almost depressed that I don't have more expensive trophies to show for it.  :(

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

the Teuton

Quote from: saxonyron on May 02, 2010, 09:01:49 PM
My high water mark is 90 in a 55, so 35 over.  But that was 20 years ago.  Considering how much time I spend in that range, I'm almost depressed that I don't have more expensive trophies to show for it.  :(

Tell me, did they have speed limits when FDR was president?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

saxonyron

Quote from: the Teuton on May 02, 2010, 09:03:23 PM
Tell me, did they have speed limits when FDR was president?

Yes, but the cars were so slow, the speed limits were irrelevent.  You and PlastiCar would have fit right in.  :devil:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

SVT_Power

So ron, did they start allowing more internet time at the senior home lately or what?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

saxonyron

Quote from: SVT_Power on May 02, 2010, 09:46:51 PM
So ron, did they start allowing more internet time at the senior home lately or what?

Yeah, you'd be surprised what kind of benefits you get when you take care of those sexy nurses.  Right after my last sponge bath, she asked if I wanted to have a laptop.  At first I thought she said "lap dance" and got all  excited, but I'm just as happy with the laptop.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

Rupert

Quote from: dazzleman on May 02, 2010, 12:07:49 PM
Yeah, I could tell how broken up you were about the whole thing.... :lol:

But you're right, I shouldn't be busting your balls when you're defending my senility and old age.... :evildude:

It's OK; we can't expect you to remember that stuff anymore.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

dazzleman

Actually, Charlie's right.  19 over isn't really a lame ticket.  It's borderline modestly impressive, actually.  My last ticket was only for 17 over, so I shouldn't be dishing out all this crap to Ron...:lol:

As for Chris' A4, those pictures are off the internet.  The car isn't real...:lol:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

giant_mtb

Quote from: saxonyron on May 02, 2010, 08:47:09 PM
I might be old, but I'm still sharp enough to realize your post didn't include any new pics.  We are not impressed.  Even a mature guy like me was able to post about a dozen good pics on day one of my new car.  What gives?  We expect more from America's youth.

I took about 60 pictures on the first/second day.  Only a few are worth posting in my eyes, though.  I'm pretty picky. :rage:

hotrodalex

the Teuton

I'd still gladly take your BMW even though god gave it the wrong transmission. You sorta forgive it in the sense of when you watch "Trading Places" and realize that when Jamie Lee Curtis is showing her boobies, she's still sort of a man.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

giant_mtb

When doing fast acceleration - and shifting - is it normal for shifts to be a little jerky?  As in, if I were accelerating quickly and shifting from first to second, but don't necessarily wait for the RPMs to drop to the ideal shift point and thus get a bit of a jerk...?  Is this normal?  Is there a modification to my technique that I can do?  I don't do many hard shifts or accelerations, but I'm just curious...

Laugh if you please. :huh:

Tave

You should be able to make it shift smoothly. Practice, practice, practice.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Raza

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 03, 2010, 05:53:00 PM
When doing fast acceleration - and shifting - is it normal for shifts to be a little jerky?  As in, if I were accelerating quickly and shifting from first to second, but don't necessarily wait for the RPMs to drop to the ideal shift point and thus get a bit of a jerk...?  Is this normal?  Is there a modification to my technique that I can do?  I don't do many hard shifts or accelerations, but I'm just curious...

Movement of the car is normal, but you might be running into an issue where you're putting your foot back on the gas faster than you're releasing the clutch.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on May 03, 2010, 05:56:17 PM
You should be able to make it shift smoothly. Practice, practice, practice.

Another good point.  I wasn't really "smooth" in normal driving until I was immersed in driving stick for a couple of months. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BimmerM3

Yeah, smoothness comes with time. That said, a quick, WOT shift is going to be a bit jerky just because it's like ACCELERATION - no acceleration - ACCELERATION in a short period of time.

Colonel Cadillac

1st to 2nd shift is pretty easy to be jerky.

Cookie Monster

My 1-2 shift is always jerky if it's about ~3,000 RPM or higher. :lol: :cry:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Laconian

If you don't wait for the RPMs to drop, then you are dumping the engine's rotational inertia into the drivetrain, and the clutch is fudging the difference in speeds for you. Not great for the clutcharuuuu!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Tave

Quote from: BimmerM3 on May 03, 2010, 06:44:45 PM
Yeah, smoothness comes with time. That said, a quick, WOT shift is going to be a bit jerky just because it's like ACCELERATION - no acceleration - ACCELERATION in a short period of time.

I guess it depends on what he means by "jerky." There should be a surge, but not a lurch, if that makes any sense.

And it should only be one "jerk" forward, like a kick in the back.

But I doubt he's going real hard at it to the point that he should be feeling that.

Don't worry about it Giant, it'll come. Even after driving stick for 5 years, it took me awhile to get used to the clutch in my car.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

The Pirate

Yeah, pretty much what the other guys said.  But yeah, a jerk is normal with WOT and a hard shift.  As far as just regular shifting and spirited acceleration, it's just getting used to the drivetrain's characteristics.  The more you drive it, the faster you'll get the hang of it.  I'm always a bit jerky when driving an unfamiliar manual tranny (different clutch take up points, etc.).

It took me forever to get used to the clutch in my Mazda (it has a very short stroke and abrupt engagement relative to my last car), I wasn't terribly smooth for a while. 
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

SVT_Power

Quote from: The Pirate on May 03, 2010, 09:38:16 PM
It took me forever to get used to the clutch in my Mazda (it has a very short stroke and abrupt engagement relative to my last car), I wasn't terribly smooth for a while. 

Civique?

The Pirate

Quote from: SVT_Power on May 03, 2010, 09:46:59 PM
Civique?

Yes, compared to the Civic.  First time I drove a Proteg?, I thought I was in a race car.  Zoomy clutch take up, and and pretty fat torque curve (seriously, this thing has great low end grunt for being a 4-banger).

Now I realize that's it's a slow car.  :(
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

BimmerM3

Quote from: The Pirate on May 03, 2010, 09:38:16 PM
Yeah, pretty much what the other guys said.  But yeah, a jerk is normal with WOT and a hard shift.  As far as just regular shifting and spirited acceleration, it's just getting used to the drivetrain's characteristics.  The more you drive it, the faster you'll get the hang of it.  I'm always a bit jerky when driving an unfamiliar manual tranny (different clutch take up points, etc.).

Heh - the Accord's clutch is pretty close to the floor. Whenever I drive someone else's car that has a manual, I usually rev the crap out of it before I get used to the clutch. The main exception was when I drove my buddy's Stratus (what a terrible car that was). His friction point couldn't have been more than 0.5" from the floor. It was insane.