96' Neon Project thread

Started by 2o6, September 07, 2010, 08:04:02 PM

2o6

I really enjoy my car, and the basic mechanicals are sound. However, it needs a little TLC. I feel that with this TLC the car will last for quite some time. So here I have comprised a list of what I plan on getting done real soon here, in order from most importance to least importance

- Parking Brake (either this weekend, or next)

- Head gasket leak = new head gasket (there was oil in the coolant when I drained off the coolant back in July. However, I haven't had any recent overheating problems, or any issues, but it needs to be done soon. There is no coolant in the oll, however.)

- Brakes. (Pads. Pedal feels fine, but requires a fair amount of travel and is noisy. Does not pulsate, so I'm sure it isn't the rotors)

- Belts and water pump. (My belts look fine....but I don't know what I'm looking at. Belts/water pump should be replaced at 105K, and I'm guessing it's been done already because there are no issues associated with it........yet.......I hope.)

- Body work. (I mean, new panels. There was a black Neon being parted out about a month ago, and he was letting fenders go for $10 a piece. Pull-a-part prices it at $20 a fender, and $20 a bumper cover, so either way it's not that expensive)

- Wheels and tires. (I'm going aftermarket with the wheels......I discovered that one of my rims is slightly bent...which explains the shaking at 75MPH. Dad gets a 30% discount on tires, so there.)

Eventually:

- Brother found some performance headers in the discount bin at Summit racing....

- Lowering springs at neons.org is ~$70-100

- Seats.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: 2o6 on September 07, 2010, 08:04:02 PM
I really enjoy my car, and the basic mechanicals are sound. However, it needs a little TLC. I feel that with this TLC the car will last for quite some time. So here I have comprised a list of what I plan on getting done real soon here, in order from most importance to least importance

- Parking Brake (either this weekend, or next)

Peer ye at yonder cable before anything else.

- Head gasket leak = new head gasket (there was oil in the coolant when I drained off the coolant back in July. However, I haven't had any recent overheating problems, or any issues, but it needs to be done soon. There is no coolant in the oll, however.)

Verilee, ye may be fuck'd

- Brakes. (Pads. Pedal feels fine, but requires a fair amount of travel and is noisy. Does not pulsate, so I'm sure it isn't the rotors)

Check ye olde pads visualee and bleed thine brake spirits

- Belts and water pump. (My belts look fine....but I don't know what I'm looking at. Belts/water pump should be replaced at 105K, and I'm guessing it's been done already because there are no issues associated with it........yet.......I hope.)

Be thine rubber crack'd, or doth thy pump protest? If nay, then tamper not. Thine carriage's worth merits it not.

- Body work. (I mean, new panels. There was a black Neon being parted out about a month ago, and he was letting fenders go for $10 a piece. Pull-a-part prices it at $20 a fender, and $20 a bumper cover, so either way it's not that expensive)

Bother not. Serial numbers mismatch'd make prospects for future sales suspect of battle wounds!

- Wheels and tires. (I'm going aftermarket with the wheels......I discovered that one of my rims is slightly bent...which explains the shaking at 75MPH. Dad gets a 30% discount on tires, so there.)

Fix yonder shit lest ye start losing a tie rod end.

Eventually:

- Brother found some performance headers in the discount bin at Summit racing....

- Lowering springs at neons.org is ~$70-100

- Seats.

What folly

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Rupert

Yes, good job and fair evaluation, Chimp.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Gotta-Qik-C7

Don't forget to upgrade your headlights. Regular bulbs get dimmer with time. Upgrade to a HID kit.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Rupert

He should just put some blue tint bulbs in there. ;)
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Gotta-Qik-C7

LOL! That's too ricey! Plus HID kits are really cheap now! 35-50 bicks is the norm.

Rupert

... I don't think I would put a $50 HID on my car. In the world of lighting, if it sounds too cheap to be good, it is.

Gotta-Qik-C7

I have the 35 buck kits on my bike,Z28 and Corolla. They haven't given me any problems.

MrH

HID's in reflector head lights look awful.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

the Teuton

Chimp is spot on. He needs to open a mechanic shop and give quotes with such presence.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Gotta-Qik-C7

MrH some car/SUVs came from the factory with HIDs that weren't housed in projectors.

Secret Chimp

On mine diminutive chariot I hath install'd lanterns accepting of H4 electrified torches, with mirrors ground to cast a light for Ye Olde World. Why lay waste to my fires upon guidesigns and soforth when I may cast my steed's power fully upon the ground before me, for I know mine path without guide or direction, and needst I the clearest vision for obstacles and foes ahead, not alerts and directions meant for the unlearned, untraveled folk of our newer kingdom.

But forsooth, my solution appliest not to thine slovenly saloon.

giant_mtb

r0tor

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on September 08, 2010, 02:34:47 PM
MrH some car/SUVs came from the factory with HIDs that weren't housed in projectors.

And those would be the vehicles that blind people and gave hid's a bad reputation
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

giant_mtb

I think newer (and perhaps older?) Prisuses come with HID bulbs in reflector housings.  At least, the bulbs are HID-like in color.

SVT_Power

Quote from: r0tor on September 08, 2010, 04:15:22 PM
And those would be the vehicles that blind people and gave hid's a bad reputation

The IS300's came with HID's in non projectors. They're bright as hell, but I've never been blinded by one.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: r0tor on September 08, 2010, 04:15:22 PM
Never had anyone flash me so far and I've had aftermarket HIDs since 2007. The Z28 and 'Rolla have 8k kits and my Gixxer has a 12k kit.

2o6

Chimp, you're hilarious. And informative.

Submariner

Quote from: SVT_Power on September 08, 2010, 05:19:30 PM
The IS300's came with HID's in non projectors. They're bright as hell, but I've never been blinded by one.

Many early 00' Infiniti's had reflector xenons, as did the second generation Escalade. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

2o6

Quote from: Secret Chimp on September 08, 2010, 08:59:10 AM
Peer ye at yonder cable before anything else.

Verilee, ye may be fuck'd

As I said....the oil is fine and no overheating issues. I'm wondering if the guy put the old oily coolant back in when if he did the head gasket. Or is all this brown gunk something else?

Check ye olde pads visualee and bleed thine brake spirits

....like take the wheels off? (Forgive my ignorance)

Be thine rubber crack'd, or doth thy pump protest? If nay, then tamper not. Thine carriage's worth merits it not.

I'm thinking it has already been done, because most neons are giving their water pumps up at around 100K. Belts look good, too.

Bother not. Serial numbers mismatch'd make prospects for future sales suspect of battle wounds!

I would like to at least get black bumpers and a new front fender. The fender is a bit crunched up and the bumpers look ugly.

Fix yonder shit lest ye start losing a tie rod end.

Good to know.

What folly

3.0L V6

Quote from: 2o6 on September 08, 2010, 07:20:21 PM
As I said....the oil is fine and no overheating issues. I'm wondering if the guy put the old oily coolant back in when if he did the head gasket. Or is all this brown gunk something else?

....like take the wheels off? (Forgive my ignorance)

I'm thinking it has already been done, because most neons are giving their water pumps up at around 100K. Belts look good, too

Brown could just be sediment within the cooling system (rust from a rotting radiator, for example) as it's unlikely that the guy went to all the effort of changing the head gasket without replacing the coolant. Get the system pressure checked. That will settle the headgasket matter once and for all.

For the brakes, wheels come off....take apart the brakes (you may want someone who know what they're doing to guide you here) remove the pads from their clips and measure thickness with a ruler. If it's less than 2mm of pad left, replace them. Check the rear drums too. If the rotors look scored or have chunks missing they have to be replaced.

If the water pump seems fine, leave it. Let sleeping dogs lie.

2o6

Maybe I'm making something out of nothing.

No residue on rad cap, coolant is bright green. Belts look good, too.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on September 09, 2010, 07:21:56 AM
Brown could just be sediment within the cooling system (rust from a rotting radiator, for example) as it's unlikely that the guy went to all the effort of changing the head gasket without replacing the coolant. Get the system pressure checked. That will settle the headgasket matter once and for all.

For the brakes, wheels come off....take apart the brakes (you may want someone who know what they're doing to guide you here) remove the pads from their clips and measure thickness with a ruler. If it's less than 2mm of pad left, replace them. Check the rear drums too. If the rotors look scored or have chunks missing they have to be replaced.

If the water pump seems fine, leave it. Let sleeping dogs lie.

You don't need to take the brakes apart. There's a rectangular window cast into the middle of the caliper to let you inspect the pad thickness, most of the time at least.

Thee thy thou ye olde what ho ragachops hum hum blarney.

2o6

Right rear line is stretching.......which means my "self-adjusting" rear drum brakes aren't self adjusting. (Stupid OH rust!)

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on September 08, 2010, 12:41:06 PM
I have the 35 buck kits on my bike,Z28 and Corolla. They haven't given me any problems.

They give everyone ELSE driving towards you problems. :facepalm:
Will

Rupert

Quote from: Secret Chimp on September 08, 2010, 03:13:24 PM
On mine diminutive chariot I hath install'd lanterns accepting of H4 electrified torches, with mirrors ground to cast a light for Ye Olde World. Why lay waste to my fires upon guidesigns and soforth when I may cast my steed's power fully upon the ground before me, for I know mine path without guide or direction, and needst I the clearest vision for obstacles and foes ahead, not alerts and directions meant for the unlearned, untraveled folk of our newer kingdom.

But forsooth, my solution appliest not to thine slovenly saloon.

Who made your lights? I need something really good on the 944.

cawimmer430

I still would have gone for a classic Plymouth Volare instead of a Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth Neon!  :banghead:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie