96' Neon Project thread

Started by 2o6, September 07, 2010, 08:04:02 PM

MrH

Quote from: 2o6 on September 30, 2010, 06:28:12 PM
I could never own something so impractical......

Your car preferences bore me.  You could always have two cars too.  Then you can be as impractical as you want with one of them.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

Quote from: MrH on October 01, 2010, 10:33:51 AM
Your car preferences bore me.  You could always have two cars too.  Then you can be as impractical as you want with one of them.

I can't afford that.

MrH

You said you could never own something so impractical.  You'll be able to afford it later in life (well, I hope so at least).
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

Should I get new or used? I would like to get a new alternator, but I don't have the $$$. I also don't want to get a used alternator only to have it not work and me have to take the car apart.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: 2o6 on October 01, 2010, 04:44:39 PM
Should I get new or used? I would like to get a new alternator, but I don't have the $$$. I also don't want to get a used alternator only to have it not work and me have to take the car apart.

It's an old shitty car. Get something from the junkyard.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

2o6

Quote from: Secret Chimp on October 01, 2010, 06:15:13 PM
It's an old shitty car. Get something from the junkyard.

My brother told me I shouldn't.

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on October 01, 2010, 06:19:18 PM
Then why bother asking us?

Because I want to know if he's wrong or not. I can afford a used one and new belts easily.

Middle_Path

Junkyard, dude, actually here I like the pick and pulls even better(real junkyards that is.) Those will save you even more money, but you sort of need a clue as to what you're doing there. Put a new part on a 1996 Neon, hell no. You've got an old car and you'll have to learn how to fix it. Enjoy the learning process and PITA.
You see what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps?!!

r0tor

Christ, a new alternator would cost about 20% of what your car is actually worth...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

2o6

Quote from: r0tor on October 03, 2010, 08:41:31 AM
Christ, a new alternator would cost about 20% of what your car is actually worth...

Quote from: Middle_Path on October 03, 2010, 07:28:00 AM
Junkyard, dude, actually here I like the pick and pulls even better(real junkyards that is.) Those will save you even more money, but you sort of need a clue as to what you're doing there. Put a new part on a 1996 Neon, hell no. You've got an old car and you'll have to learn how to fix it. Enjoy the learning process and PITA.

Pull a part is $15.00, that is if they haven't all been pulled already. Not only that, but I really don't want to do this three times.

I'm either getting the used one, or calling a shop to see how much $$$ it is to get it rebuilt.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Don't waste your time trying to get it rebuilt. I'm pretty sure that you can buy a new one for what that rebuild will cost.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

hotrodalex

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on October 03, 2010, 10:50:26 PM
Don't waste your time trying to get it rebuilt. I'm pretty sure that you can buy a new one for what that rebuild will cost.

That's usually the case with things.

Rupert

2o6: "I have a flat tire! What should I do?"
Everyone: "Change it, fix it, put it back on."
2o6: "Do you think it could be the brakes?"
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

2o6

Quote from: Rupert on October 04, 2010, 11:52:58 PM
2o6: "Do you think it could be the brakes?"

:lol: :lol:

On the plus side, I almost got my V-belts off. Until I ran out of daylight and I had HW to do.

Stupid adjuster bolt is a bear to get at. I started loosening it up, but I could only get so far.

Quote from: hotrodalex on October 04, 2010, 03:40:00 AM
That's usually the case with things.

Yeah, it was super expensive. Used one it is.

Laconian

:lol:

Quote from: Rupert on October 04, 2010, 11:52:58 PM
2o6: "My brother thinks it's the brake rotors."
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Rupert

Quote from: Laconian on October 05, 2010, 01:27:26 PM

Or,

2o6: "The Neon forum thinks it's the brake pads."

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on October 05, 2010, 01:27:26 PM

I looked at my brake pads while my wheel was (is) still off. I need new pads.

My brother says I need calipers, too.  :huh:

Rupert

2o6

Rupert

Well, maybe you do, but I bet you don't. If they work, they work.

How come your brother thinks he knows so much?

2o6

Quote from: Rupert on October 05, 2010, 02:57:50 PM
Well, maybe you do, but I bet you don't. If they work, they work.

How come your brother thinks he knows so much?

Because he's always fixing something on his Tahoe that all of us told him not to buy.

Rupert

Ah, yes, that's a clue, right there.

Gotta-Qik-C7

hotrodalex

Very, very rarely do you need new calipers. Rotors, yes; calipers, no.

2o6

Quote from: hotrodalex on October 05, 2010, 07:25:08 PM
Very, very rarely do you need new calipers. Rotors, yes; calipers, no.

My rotors are smooth. They have a tad bit of surface rust on them (It was raining) but generally they're ok.

Rupert

It's not so much the smoothness as it is the thickness. Find the spec for how thick they need to be and measure them. Like brake pads, the rotors experience wear. The calipers are fine, unless they're not. (That is, unless there is a real problem, they're fine).

Gotta-Qik-C7

I'm going through an issue with my uncle as we speak and this thread reminds me of him.
GQZ ~ Uncle I'm hearing a clicking sound when I turn in the Work van. I'm pretty sure it's the CV joint on the driver side!
Uncle ~ Ok I'll take it to the shop. OK the guy at the shop says that van (2008 Town and Country) doesn't have CV joints. He said it's the bushings so I had him fix that!
GQZ ~ Unc I've never seen a fwd car that doesn't have CV joints.

2 Days later
GQZ ~ Unc the van is still clicking. I'm telling you the CV joints are bad.
Uncle ~ I took it back in and the guy told me it's the struts. I told him to order the struts,they'll be in next week.
GQZ ~ SMH! OKAY! But don't bring my van back till it's fixed! Make sure it's not clicking when you pick it up!!

Today
GQZ ~ Imma stop by and pick up the van in a couple hours unc.
Uncle ~ UMMMMM! Just keep the silver one till Monday.
GQZ ~ Whats wrong?
Uncle ~ The van is still clicking when I turn! I called the guy back and he said he thinks it's the axle. Imma just take it to the dealership Friday.
GQZ ~ I TOLD YOU IT'S THE CV JOINT! THATS CONNECTED TO THE AXLE!!! THATS WHAT I'VE BEEN TELLING YOU FROM THE START
Uncle ~ (crickets chirp)

:banghead:

2o6

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on October 06, 2010, 04:39:50 PM
I'm going through an issue with my uncle as we speak and this thread reminds me of him.
GQZ ~ Uncle I'm hearing a clicking sound when I turn in the Work van. I'm pretty sure it's the CV joint on the driver side!
Uncle ~ Ok I'll take it to the shop. OK the guy at the shop says that van (2008 Town and Country) doesn't have CV joints. He said it's the bushings so I had him fix that!

2 Days later
Uncle ~ I took it back in and the guy told me it's the struts. I told him to order the struts,they'll be in next week.
GQZ ~ SMH! OKAY! But don't bring my van back till it's fixed! Make sure it's not clicking when you pick it up!!

Today
GQZ ~ Whats wrong?
Uncle ~ The van is still clicking when I turn! I called the guy back and he said he thinks it's the axle. Imma just take it to the dealership Friday.
GQZ ~ I TOLD YOU IT'S THE CV JOINT! THATS CONNECTED TO THE AXLE!!! THATS WHAT I'VE BEEN TELLING YOU FROM THE START
Uncle ~ (crickets chirp)

The mechanic was hosing him for all he's got.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on October 06, 2010, 04:39:50 PM

2 Days later

Today
GQZ ~ Whats wrong?
Uncle ~ (crickets chirp)

Lord help this guy if there's an unidentifiable sound from somewhere in the middle of a car he owns, he'd probably sign off on having everything below the windows replaced :P

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.