96' Neon Project thread

Started by 2o6, September 07, 2010, 08:04:02 PM

Secret Chimp

Quote from: Rupert on September 14, 2010, 10:11:53 AM
Who made your lights? I need something really good on the 944.

Mine are Hella, people on Miatatards forum always say Cibie is better. Either one should be fine though. Get the actual Eurocode low-cutoff beam pattern, not the "Vision Plus" they try to spin as being Euro.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Secret Chimp on September 08, 2010, 08:59:10 AM
Peer ye at yonder cable before anything else.

Verilee, ye may be fuck'd

Check ye olde pads visualee and bleed thine brake spirits

Be thine rubber crack'd, or doth thy pump protest? If nay, then tamper not. Thine carriage's worth merits it not.

Bother not. Serial numbers mismatch'd make prospects for future sales suspect of battle wounds!

Fix yonder shit lest ye start losing a tie rod end.

What folly

Nominated for post of the year.

2o6

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 14, 2010, 10:56:05 AM
I still would have gone for a classic Plymouth Volare instead of a Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth Neon!  :banghead:

Will you stop it? It's not funny.

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: Secret Chimp on September 15, 2010, 11:27:33 AM
Mine are Hella, people on Miatatards forum always say Cibie is better. Either one should be fine though. Get the actual Eurocode low-cutoff beam pattern, not the "Vision Plus" they try to spin as being Euro.

Hella is what I am getting. I decided to just go with the normal 60/55 W bulbs rather than the 100/55 W, since my wiring is old. I'm not paying $Texas for Cibie for a Rhode Island size improvement.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

2o6

So I took a corner at 65MPH today (freeway off ramp, reccomended 35MPH) and the oil light came on (and then went off). I figured it was just oil sloshing around from that corner I took too fast. But then I start experiencing a very, very low idle, and some choppy throttle. The throttle and idle got better as I got closer to home, but I really wonder what happened. I had been driving all day, and driving at freeway speeds (75MPH).

The car also did it's magic electrical gremlin and cut off on me when I got overzealous shifting into 2nd. Speedo drops to 0 (instantly), car cuts off, but electrics are still working. Cranks, no start. But when I take the key out for about 15 seconds, and put it back in, it starts right up.

SVT_Power

Quote from: 2o6 on September 24, 2010, 01:35:14 PM
So I took a corner at 65MPH today (freeway off ramp, reccomended 35MPH) and the oil light came on (and then went off). I figured it was just oil sloshing around from that corner I took too fast. But then I start experiencing a very, very low idle, and some choppy throttle. The throttle and idle got better as I got closer to home, but I really wonder what happened. I had been driving all day, and driving at freeway speeds (75MPH).

The car also did it's magic electrical gremlin and cut off on me when I got overzealous shifting into 2nd. Speedo drops to 0 (instantly), car cuts off, but electrics are still working. Cranks, no start. But when I take the key out for about 15 seconds, and put it back in, it starts right up.

Depends on the car I guess, but on some cars (including mine) oil starvation even for brief periods of time can make the engine go kaboom.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

hotrodalex

That's why race cars use dry sump systems.

Secret Chimp

Or why well-engineered cars have wet sump systems with decent pan baffles and pickup designs.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Secret Chimp on September 24, 2010, 07:58:17 PM
Or why well-engineered cars have wet sump systems with decent pan baffles and pickup designs.

Dagnabbit I'm trying to get him to buy racin' stuff to make his car into a racin' car and you come in here and ruin it all with your logic.

Rupert

Better idea: Sell Neon, buy a racin' car. ;)

2o6

hotrodalex

:nono:

Racin' car will get you far.

I recommend a Swift.

Rupert

You can do better than a Hyundai.

924 Porsche 1977 - $2000

If I had seen this before I bought the MG back then, I probably woulda bought this. :lol:

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

2o6

Battery light came on while driving accompanied by a nasty whine from under the hood.

Alternator?

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 2o6 on September 28, 2010, 02:30:26 PM
Battery light came on while driving accompanied by a nasty whine from under the hood.

Alternator?
Make sure the belt is not slipping. If its working correctly it's the Altenator.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

2o6

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on September 28, 2010, 03:53:43 PM
Make sure the belt is not slipping. If its working correctly it's the Altenator.

My belts are squeaky.......and within 45 seconds of the car idling, I hear a sound similar to a failing PS pump. It sounds like the belts are going bad.

I was told that they typically are to be done at 100-105K (My car has almost 103K) so I'm guessing that's what's wrong. My brother is going to help me to determine whether it's the belts or not.

2o6

It's amazing the power of the internet. Several videos and websites later, I'm pretty sure the alternator itself is bad. It's a really nasty whine that's proportional to the car's speed.

Bad bearings = new alternator. Well, re manufactured anyways.

hotrodalex

Did you check the belts?

Just make sure they don't look worn and are tight (should only budge maybe half a cm)

Secret Chimp

Quote from: hotrodalex on September 30, 2010, 02:42:01 PM
Did you check the belts?

Just make sure they don't look worn and are tight (should only budge maybe half a cm)

Belts wouldn't cause a battery light.

2o6

Quote from: hotrodalex on September 30, 2010, 02:42:01 PM
Did you check the belts?

They're not slipping. I get a whine, not a squeal.

And I have to work all weekend, so there goes driving my car.

I know the alternator can go bad on ANY car, but It just makes me want to buy something much nicer next time.

the Teuton

My god, your alternator dies and you want to replace the whole car. LOLZ
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on September 30, 2010, 05:35:19 PM
My god, your alternator dies and you want to replace the whole car. LOLZ

Sure do.

MrH

Gay kevin will live out his life buying econoboxes, never happy with what he has.  In ten years,  he'll be pulling the "I've owned over 100 cars in my life" stint, but none of them will actually be cool.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

I could never own something so impractical......

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 2o6 on September 30, 2010, 06:00:24 PM
Sure do.
:nutty: It could be alot worse. Be happy it's not the tranny. Or a head gasket........
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

hotrodalex

Quote from: Secret Chimp on September 30, 2010, 03:43:34 PM
Belts wouldn't cause a battery light.

I know. But he should check them anyway if they need to be replaced at 100-105k miles and he's at 103k.

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on September 30, 2010, 07:08:02 PM
:nutty: It could be alot worse. Be happy it's not the tranny. Or a head gasket........

My alternator bolt hole got stripped out a couple of weeks ago. I imagine he would have wanted a new car after that too, even though it's a simple fix. :lol:

2o6

Quote from: hotrodalex on September 30, 2010, 07:11:22 PM
I know. But he should check them anyway if they need to be replaced at 100-105k miles and he's at 103k.

My alternator bolt hole got stripped out a couple of weeks ago. I imagine he would have wanted a new car after that too, even though it's a simple fix. :lol:

Belts are fine. I checked while I was down there.