headlight bulbs

Started by hounddog, January 07, 2011, 02:53:24 PM

hounddog

The Durango has the standard hi/lo beam bulbs from the factory, but have been really intrigued by the new Sylvania Silverstar.

Anyone know anything about them?  Are they worth the change?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

giant_mtb

I think most people here will tell you stay away from Silverstars.  I had them in my Monte Carlo for about a year and had no issues, but I eventually swapped them out for some Sylvania "Cool Blue" bulbs which weren't really blue at all like a ricer but were very crisp and white.  

I personally don't think Silverstars are worth the price premium.  Check the lumens ratings of different bulbs and just go for the brightest, most cost-effective one.  I know Silverstars probably have higher lumens ratings, but I've heard nasty stories about them always burning out prematurely.

EDIT:  Actually, now that I'm browsing Sylvania's website, I put some Xtravision bulbs in my (ex)girlfriend's Sunfire when she first got it.  Her stock bulbs were pretty dim.  The Xtravisions were much brighter and pretty inexpensive.

hounddog

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 07, 2011, 04:44:07 PM
I think most people here will tell you stay away from Silverstars. 
The "why" is what I am after. 

Also, I am actually considering the SS Ultra version.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

giant_mtb

Quote from: hounddog on January 07, 2011, 04:54:13 PM

The "why" as far as I know is, as I mentioned, premature burnout.  I personally didn't experience that with the Silverstars that were in my car, and they were in there for at least two years. 

The Pirate

Quote from: hounddog on January 07, 2011, 04:54:13 PM

I'll second giant's recommendation of the Xtravision bulbs.  I've had them for a few months and am quite pleased.  Cutoff is more defined, but there is quite a bit more illumination.

I'd say the Xtravisions have a pretty close amount of output to the Silverstars.  I ran Silverstars for a while, but the bulbs do burn out rather quick (best I got was one year, and 8 months is was more realistic).  The SS ultras are supposed to take care of the short lifespan, but I opted for the Xtravisions at last replacement, being half the price (and 90% of the performance IMO).

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/

Ton of information at this link, shown on the forums by R-inge originally.  This guy knows his stuff and explains it better than I ever could.  His info should answer all your questions.

You can also email him with your vehicle and what your expected outcome is and he recommend a setup (be it just bulbs, or hi power bulbs and a relay, etc.).
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

NomisR

I go with the regular bulbs and would definitely do it in an SUV because you're an asshole if you run an SUV with super bright bulbs that binds all on coming traffic and people you drive behind.  .. but that's just me. 

Rupert

IMO, lighting is probably the most myth-prone area of automotive enthusiasm.

Probe around Daniel Stern's site enough, and you'll find that Silverstars are a rip off. They do two things, which actually counteract each other. First, they increase the light output to about the legal maximum (which is defined as a certain number of lumens from a 55/60W bulb, IIRC). This is good. But then they change the color of the light by applying a filter to the lens, which actually decreases the amount of light output. This is bad, and the end result is about the same amount of light as what you get from a standard bulb. (I could be off on particulars, but the end result is right). The difference in color of the bulbs, the "whiteness," is deceiving, because they don't actually provide any more or better light. What you want is a bright, high quality, unfiltered bulb.

I'm not sure about this (i.e. it's my conjecture), but I would think that you actually want a more yellow light. Yellow light, apparently, is easier for your eyes to absorb and interpret than white or (heavens!) blue light.

Daniel Stern is very good to deal with, as he will answer questions and explain everything in detail if you ask him. My guess is that he'll recommend one of the above mentioned bulbs in a 55/60W rating. I don't think you're supposed to put high wattage bulbs in stock headlight housings due to heat, but that might differ somewhat between cars.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: NomisR on January 07, 2011, 05:32:18 PM
I go with the regular bulbs and would definitely do it in an SUV because you're an asshole if you run an SUV with super bright bulbs that binds all on coming traffic and people you drive behind.  .. but that's just me. 

Those are people with overwattage bulbs in crappy lamps that are misaimed on a lifted rig, in my experience. Hounddog will be fine, so long as the bulbs are legal and the lights are aimed right.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

hounddog

Quote from: NomisR on January 07, 2011, 05:32:18 PM
I drive long distances late at night. 

I really do not care if they bother someone else, well I do but not alot, because I have had one too many close calls with kids & bikes, deer, etc.  OEM headlights are now about four years old, and headlights dim about 20-30% over their lifetime.  Mine are probably10% dimmer than new.

I do not tailgate, I do not sit directly behind other drivers and my headlights are lower than most other SUVs because of the design of the vehicle.  I also am willing to adjust my lights down slightly to reduce glare if I find a set that provide a good trade off. 

If wanting to be a safer driver, at least from my end, makes me an asshole then so be it.  I can have brighter lights than OEM and still have them be less offensive than the lights on my wifes stock X5.  So, please, stop whining.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

SVT_Power

I don't know much about bulbs, but I saw some Philips ones and they were the brightest halogen bulbs I had ever seen
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

giant_mtb

Quote from: SVT_Power on January 08, 2011, 11:45:27 AM
I don't know much about bulbs, but I saw some Philips ones and they were the brightest halogen bulbs I had ever seen

Philips X-Treme?

OSRAM Nightbreaker bulbs look pretty legit, too.

I'm going to get new bulbs soon, too.

Rupert

For what it's worth, I have the XTremes in the Explorer, and they're fine. The design of the lens, reflector, etc. on the Explorer is shit (hence the driving lamps and upgraded fogs), so it's pretty hard to even notice a difference. I don't drive a huge amount at night, but I do have a 20 minute commute in the dark one way, and they've lasted more than a year so far.

Rupert

Quote from: SVT_Power on January 08, 2011, 11:45:27 AM

How do you know that?

SVT_Power

what do you mean how do I know that?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

VTEC_Inside

All I've ever heard and experienced with Silverstars is that they burn out in like a month.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

hounddog

Appreciate the posts. 

Think I will do some more research, even perhaps contact that fellow as suggested.

Thanks.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

VTEC_Inside

Have you considered doing an HID retrofit?

hounddog

~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

CJ

You might want to.  With a 4300k HID bulb, you get much more white light.  It's a little pricey, but I think it's very worth it.

Rupert

If you want an HID setup that's not total shit, it's more than a little pricey.

Rupert

Quote from: SVT_Power on January 10, 2011, 04:45:36 AM
what do you mean how do I know that?

How do you know they were brighter than any other bulb? Did you compare one to the other directly? Plot them on an isocandela (which is something I just like to type, but also a real and useful thing)? Or did you just see a bright light and call it shiny? ;)

S204STi

Christ, get this HID retrofit shit outta here! With those lamps he'd likely blind the world, (along with himself when it rains or snows), and don't give me this crap about aiming them down...

giant_mtb

Quote from: R-inge on January 12, 2011, 05:43:47 AM
Christ, get this HID retrofit shit outta here! With those lamps he'd likely blind the world, (along with himself when it rains or snows), and don't give me this crap about aiming them down...

Don't HID bulbs give off about the same amount (slightly more?) of light, but are just typically used in projector-beam housings which are usually perceived as being "brighter?"

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: R-inge on January 12, 2011, 05:43:47 AM

I'm talking about a proper retrofit, typically done by mounting a proper hid projector into the existing headlight housing. Done properly like that it's no different than if the car had come with them stock.

Of course he could just swap in some hid bulbs lik I have :mask:
The you run the risk of blinding everyone in sight.

Fortunately for me both my cars were available from the factory with hids. The only difference on the CSX is the Casper in front of the bulb so the pattern is actually quite defined and has little glare after the swap.

The RSX didn't handle the swap as well. There isn't really any glare there either but the light output seems to be less than the stock halogens. If it wasn't such a pain in the ass to change them on that car the stock bulbs would have been back in there already.

In any case I'm using 4300k bulbs in both and it's a really nice pure white light. I've had my CSX next to a coworkers CL type s (factory hids) and the color is exactl the same as it should be. I also used that car to compare output pattern since it also uses reflectors and again damn near the same.

So while I don't usually recommend just swapping for hid bulbs it's not always a disaster depending on the stock housing.

NomisR

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on January 12, 2011, 07:29:48 AM
I'm talking about a proper retrofit, typically done by mounting a proper hid projector into the existing headlight housing. Done properly like that it's no different than if the car had come with them stock.

Of course he could just swap in some hid bulbs lik I have :mask:
The you run the risk of blinding everyone in sight.

Fortunately for me both my cars were available from the factory with hids. The only difference on the CSX is the Casper in front of the bulb so the pattern is actually quite defined and has little glare after the swap.

The RSX didn't handle the swap as well. There isn't really any glare there either but the light output seems to be less than the stock halogens. If it wasn't such a pain in the ass to change them on that car the stock bulbs would have been back in there already.

In any case I'm using 4300k bulbs in both and it's a really nice pure white light. I've had my CSX next to a coworkers CL type s (factory hids) and the color is exactl the same as it should be. I also used that car to compare output pattern since it also uses reflectors and again damn near the same.

So while I don't usually recommend just swapping for hid bulbs it's not always a disaster depending on the stock housing.

So HIDs works ok on RSX?  Too bad it's such a pain in the ass to swap out the headlights in that damn car..  i'd actually consider it so I can start blinding the SUVs. 

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: NomisR on January 12, 2011, 12:39:31 PM
So HIDs works ok on RSX?  Too bad it's such a pain in the ass to swap out the headlights in that damn car..  i'd actually consider it so I can start blinding the SUVs. 

They work ok in the sense that they aren't a blinding mess. I don't think the light output is as good as the halogens though. I've actually adjusted them higher by half a turn of the adjuster to get the distance back from them. I think they still need another quarter turn, but not sure yet.

Rupert

And if they don't provide more light or more focused light, then they don't work. ;)

S204STi

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 12, 2011, 06:51:52 AM
Don't HID bulbs give off about the same amount (slightly more?) of light, but are just typically used in projector-beam housings which are usually perceived as being "brighter?"

Well, the average halogen puts out around 1200-1700 lumens. An OE xenon arc HID in the 4000k range puts out over 3000 lumens. So it's quite a bit brighter. Hence why it bugs me when people slap them in stock reflectors. But as VTEC aptly pointed out, a high quality retrofit is no worse for other drivers than an OEM system, and will improve your visibility immensely. The problem is that most ppl aren't willing to dish out the big bucks for that.

Rupert

Really big bucks. Like, damn, they're just headlights, and this is coming from a guy who just upgraded every headlight he owns!

VTEC_Inside

Its still worth looking into a proper retrofit if it's something that is important to you though. There are a number of companies that will do the retrofit plus you may be able to find some stock housings that have already been modified for a reasonable price.