headlight bulbs

Started by hounddog, January 07, 2011, 02:53:24 PM

rohan

Quote from: Rupert on January 28, 2011, 02:22:21 AM
Just a few degrees of angle reduction can easily result in tens of feet of reduced usable light. Do the math (in the example above, 3 degrees of reduced angle means 50 feet shorter usable light!).
State law he said.  They can't manufacture cars outside federal law and sell them here but they can sell cars that don't meet "letter of the law" for state law.  Don't have the time right now but when I do I'll quote the MVC on headlights for you.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Laconian

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 29, 2011, 09:27:09 AM
Ya.  The auto-dimming mirror was part of the $400M technology package.

:facepalm:
Die Definition von Luxus Deutsch
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Rupert

Quote from: rohan on January 29, 2011, 11:21:09 AM
State law he said.  They can't manufacture cars outside federal law and sell them here but they can sell cars that don't meet "letter of the law" for state law.  Don't have the time right now but when I do I'll quote the MVC on headlights for you.

I'd like to see it. They make special cars for CA, after all.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

rohan

Home now but when I get back and have a minute I'll find it for you.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

SVT_Power

Quote from: Rupert on January 29, 2011, 02:10:50 AM
A ridiculous amount of crappy light.

Crappy light? Not sure why it's crappy. He already had factory HID's, so I saw some before and after pics. It's just like before, but just a shitload brighter  :huh:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Rupert

Pics don't count. You can't tell anything about anything with pics.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rupert on January 30, 2011, 01:21:27 PM

If that isn't about the worst generalization I've ever heard...

:lol:

Rupert

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 30, 2011, 01:27:33 PM
If that isn't about the worst generalization I've ever heard...

Not with lighting it isn't. If and only if you use the same camera on the same settings at the same angle at the same time of day with the same weather and other ambient light, then you can tell a little about color (mostly that the lights are a different color or not, and not what color they are), and you can tell which one is brighter (though not how much brighter), and you can tell that there is a difference in beam pattern (though not what the beam pattern is). These things require surprisingly sophisticated measuring equipment.

hounddog

Lights in, aimed lower to take the light to the upper portion of passenger car trunklids (they no longer aimed "up" but a little more down)  and the distance seems to be almost exactly the same, as in: I can see no noticable difference between old and new for distance loss.   I found that the driver side was aimed much too high from the factory, higher than the passenger side which I think was much of the "over height" I was noticing.

I get vastly superior side lighting, and the detail/clarity/color of the light is amazing compared to OEM.  Best $30+ I have spent in some time.

Next up; fog light upgrade to Xtravision bulbs.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

The Pirate

Quote from: hounddog on January 30, 2011, 06:42:59 PM
Lights in, aimed lower to take the light to the upper portion of passenger car trunklids (they no longer aimed "up" but a little more down)  and the distance seems to be almost exactly the same, as in: I can see no noticable difference between old and new for distance loss.   I found that the driver side was aimed much too high from the factory, higher than the passenger side which I think was much of the "over height" I was noticing.

I get vastly superior side lighting, and the detail/clarity/color of the light is amazing compared to OEM.  Best $30+ I have spent in some time.

Cool.  I put Xtravisions in my car two months ago, and have been very happy as well.  Thought about upgrading the driving lights too, but the bulbs are PITA to get to, so I'm not going to do anything til I have to (when they burn out).  The driving lights don't see much use either, as I leave them off when I'm not on deserted roads.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

hotrodalex

The driver's side was aimed higher than the passenger side? Yeah, that's not normal. It's usually the opposite.

Rupert

I get vastly superior side lighting, and the detail/clarity/color of the light is amazing compared to OEM.  Best $30+ I have spent in some time.

Are you sure that your lights were aimed properly? It sounds like they were (and may still be) fucked up. I would follow the aiming instructions in the link I posted and see what that's like.

Rupert

With factory fogs it's usually better to just upgrade the whole light. The issue with those tends to be beam cutoff, not brightness (unless you're one of those fogs on all the time people).

SVT_Power

Quote from: Rupert on January 30, 2011, 01:21:27 PM

Well I haven't seen the stock HID light output but currently it just looks like the road ahead is illuminated by HID's, but like 4 HIDs instead of 2.  :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT_Power

Quote from: Rupert on January 30, 2011, 11:16:56 PM
With factory fogs it's usually better to just upgrade the whole light. The issue with those tends to be beam cutoff, not brightness (unless you're one of those fogs on all the time people).

Are fogs really necessary?

Maybe I'm in the minority here but quite frankly, I think cars don't even need foglights.

Rupert

Eh, I think it depends. I have driven in cars with headlights that were good in the fog/bad weather stock (sharp cutoff), and I've driven in (a lot of) cars that totally suck. There is a definite difference between good headlights and bad headlights. I put good fogs on the Explorer (actually just got that project finished tonight), because the stock headlights are really scattered and totally suck at everything. This is also why I put dedicated driving lights on.

hounddog

I found that the driver side was aimed much too high from the factory, higher than the passenger side which I think was much of the "over height" I was noticing.

Quote from: Rupert on January 30, 2011, 11:15:08 PM
Are you sure that your lights were aimed properly? It sounds like they were (and may still be) fucked up.
:ohyeah:

QuoteI would follow the aiming instructions in the link I posted and see what that's like.
I followed the spec sheet I got from the dealership- then I lowered them 2.25 degrees.  ( yes, that is my guess :lol:)
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Rupert

Did the spec sheet involve aiming them on a wall 25 ft away?

hounddog

No, it involved taking one of those screwie-driverie-thingeries and twisting one of those screw looking devices until the drivers on the freeway stopped brighting me.  Still kept honking alot, however. 

Very annoying.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

S204STi

I seriously doubt you could put cereal and milk together and come up with anything edible, based on your skills at reading/following instructions as demonstrated here. :lol:

giant_mtb

R-inge, do you think those HIR bulbs are legit?

S204STi

Based on the specs, very much so.  For the same wattage you are looking at like a 50% increase in lumens IIRC.  It's sad that they didn't catch on, or rather that they aren't more mainstream.  It's a great technology which would improve lighting at a fraction of the cost of HIDs for every car on the road...

I think the 9011 fits in my high beam sockets if I modify the base slightly.  Should be perfect for those long drives through South Park to see the family.  Once I get the 75w fogs and harness in I'll look into that final piece of the lighting puzzle for my car.

giant_mtb

Yeah, I thought they seemed pretty legitimate.  I'm thinking I'll get some for my high-beams when I have some extra cash laying around.

Rupert

Quote from: R-inge on February 04, 2011, 04:26:37 PM

I seriously doubt you could put cereal and milk together and come up with anything edible, based on your skills at reading/following instructions as demonstrated here. :lol:

I gave up on him after that one...

hounddog

Quote from: R-inge on February 04, 2011, 04:26:37 PM

Quote from: Rupert on February 07, 2011, 11:58:47 PM
I gave up on him after that one...

You guys.   :nutty: :tounge:

Do you really believe that anyone could be so dim? 

Honestly? 

All I have to say about that is;  :nono: :rolleyes: :lol:
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

giant_mtb

Quote from: hounddog on February 08, 2011, 01:33:54 PM

Do you really believe that anyone could be so dim

Teehee.  It's a thread about light bulbs.  And he said dim.

Rupert

Rupert

Quote from: hounddog on February 08, 2011, 01:33:54 PM
You guys.   :nutty: :tounge:

Do you really believe that anyone could be so dim? 

Honestly? 

All I have to say about that is;  :nono: :rolleyes: :lol:

Honestly? Yes.

hounddog

~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

Rupert

BTW, I finally found and bought a bottle of your revered Wee Heavy. I'll let you know how I like it.