Autonomous Cars

Started by AutobahnSHO, October 08, 2015, 08:53:13 AM

Laconian

Self flagellation while commuting is THE primary use case of autonomous cars!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

The only solution to pollution is dilution.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Morris Minor on January 25, 2018, 01:05:04 PM
No reason why not. In fact make a summary of the vitals immediately available to the responding officer: speed, autopilot status, cruise control status, cellphone status, whether driver was engaged in foul & shameful act of self-pollution. :lol:

"please insert penis in receptacle to engage forward motion"
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Laconian

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 25, 2018, 01:55:19 PM
"please insert penis in receptacle to engage forward motion"

Penile sphygmometer active. Chastity mode ON.

AutobahnSHO

Will

Laconian

A Waymo Pacifica was parked in the spot next to mine today.

Raza

Fast & Furious:  Hacks a lot of cars wirelessly for ridiculous stunt.
People everywhere: "That could NEVER happen!"
Autonomous cars.
People everywhere: "I can text more thanks to hackable computers controlling a two ton missile full of flammable liquids moving at high speeds that I'm inside of!  Thank you hackable computers!"
Hacking: Not just for rigging elections anymore.  Coming to a terrorist attack near you.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Cars are already hackable, yet no such attack has occurred. This is what happens when you use the Fast And Furious franchise as a window into the feasible future.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 08, 2018, 07:14:46 AM
Cars are already hackable, yet no such attack has occurred. This is what happens when you use the Fast And Furious franchise as a window into the feasible future.

Fast & Furious has already predicted the future correctly on several occasions.  They predicted that it wasn't enough of a Point Break remake, so they'd make a Point Break remake.  And they did.  They predicted that Vin Diesel would struggle to stay relevant.  And he has.  They predicted that no one would care about Lil Bow Wow in the future and now no one does.

And "It hasn't happened yet" is hardly the same as "it'll never happen".  The Eagles hadn't won the Super Bowl and then they did.  That's just how time works.  Nothing happens until it happens. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

"It hasn't happened yet" <> "It's going to happen"

When it comes to autonomous cars, no apocalyptic conspiracy theory is too wacky enough for you not to consider. You abandon all logic and evidence in discussions about it.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 08, 2018, 07:14:46 AM
Cars are already hackable, yet no such attack has occurred.

That you know of. :mask:

It's difficult now and the payout isn't there.  Did you know viruses and worms and hackers had been around for 40+ years before 2005? 

2005 is the year the first malware-for-profit came out. And you see how that's going now.

If there is a reward or a particular mission someone wants to achieve through hacking, they will do it. It's hard to assassinate government leaders so it rarely happens, but it does happen. Imagine when that reality becomes a hacker tool...
Will

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 08, 2018, 08:34:30 AM
"It hasn't happened yet" <> "It's going to happen"

When it comes to autonomous cars, no apocalyptic conspiracy theory is too wacky enough for you not to consider. You abandon all logic and evidence in discussions about it.

Wait, wasn't Jeep hacked twice already?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on February 08, 2018, 09:18:58 AM
Wait, wasn't Jeep hacked twice already?
Not for use in a terrorist attack.

You are freaking out about cars like the power grid and other important potentially deadly shit isn't already online and hackable. It's a little late to be freaking out.

Morris Minor

My son has enrolled in a program with Udacity  - a "Self-Driving Car Nanodegree" that a GM engineer told him about.

I'm pretty sure he'll get out of his current defense industry job soon & go into this field... with somebody or other.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 08, 2018, 10:33:08 AM
Not for use in a terrorist attack.

You are freaking out about cars like the power grid and other important potentially deadly shit isn't already online and hackable. It's a little late to be freaking out.

Oh well then, since the hacked cars weren't used fir terrorism so far, nothing to worry about! War on terror over, the world is at peace and we'll all live forever!!!!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on February 09, 2018, 02:26:50 AM
Oh well then, since the hacked cars weren't used fir terrorism so far, nothing to worry about! War on terror over, the world is at peace and we'll all live forever!!!!
Should the industry work to make cars (autonomous or not) secure? Absolutely. Is sitting around gripped with panic and paranoia over things that haven't happened a productive, healthy way to spend one's time? I don't think so, but clearly you've made your mind up. As I've said you have abandoned all logic and reason and replaced that all with fear. Need I remind you again of why we're probably not going to see widespread adoption of autonomous cars any time soon, or can you not hear anyone else over your own screams and hallucinations?

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 09, 2018, 02:47:15 AM
Should the industry work to make cars (autonomous or not) secure? Absolutely. Is sitting around gripped with panic and paranoia over things that haven't happened a productive, healthy way to spend one's time? I don't think so, but clearly you've made your mind up. As I've said you have abandoned all logic and reason and replaced that all with fear. Need I remind you again of why we're probably not going to see widespread adoption of autonomous cars any time soon, or can you not hear anyone else over your own screams and hallucinations?

They're not only going to be adopted any day now, hacking isn't the only thing we have to worry about.

What if they become sentient and rise up? It's inevitable.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Soup DeVille

Noting something is a potential concern is Not sitting around with panic and paranoia.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 09, 2018, 07:06:05 AM
Noting something is a potential concern is Not sitting around with panic and paranoia.

I know- feels to me Sporty is reading way too much into it, and Raza's usual sarcasm is trolling effectively.
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris Minor on February 08, 2018, 08:14:13 PM
My son has enrolled in a program with Udacity  - a "Self-Driving Car Nanodegree" that a GM engineer told him about.

I'm pretty sure he'll get out of his current defense industry job soon & go into this field... with somebody or other.

That career field is exploding right now, he'll be on top of the wave instead of behind trying to catch up. In 10years everyone will be 'cybersecurity experts' too, but we're critically short at the moment.
Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on February 09, 2018, 06:55:24 AM
They're not only going to be adopted any day now, hacking isn't the only thing we have to worry about.

What if they become sentient and rise up? It's inevitable.

What is inevitable is that autonomous cars will have a lower accident rate. Which means a lower insurance rate; probably drastically so, and as ACs gain more market share, that difference in cost will increase. Meanwhile, he cost of autonomy will continue to drop.

At some point, those lines will cross, and it will become an effective premium to own a non-autonomous car.  Coupled with the other practical advantages of autonomy, this will effectively reduce the manual car to a rich man's plaything.

And yes, it is quite possible this all happens in less than 20 years.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 09, 2018, 07:12:52 AM
What is inevitable is that autonomous cars will have a lower accident rate. Which means a lower insurance rate; probably drastically so, and as ACs gain more market share, that difference in cost will increase. Meanwhile, he cost of autonomy will continue to drop.

At some point, those lines will cross, and it will become an effective premium to own a non-autonomous car.  Coupled with the other practical advantages of autonomy, this will effectively reduce the manual car to a rich man's plaything.

I would give it 30. Business switches mode quickly but law and enforecement are sloooow. So it's possible that as Aut cars are up against Non-A cars in courts, Non-A cars might win for a while, leading the Autonomous car-makers to install cameras and build methods to reconstruct in layman's terms all of what the car was sensing/doing. This will cost some extra money for a while.
Will

Raza

I've seen Transformers. We're all doomed.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 09, 2018, 07:43:56 AM
I would give it 30. Business switches mode quickly but law and enforecement are sloooow. So it's possible that as Aut cars are up against Non-A cars in courts, Non-A cars might win for a while, leading the Autonomous car-makers to install cameras and build methods to reconstruct in layman's terms all of what the car was sensing/doing. This will cost some extra money for a while.

I agree; business will lead the way and the bureaucrats will be playing catch-up. That's why I mentioned insurance as a major driver. Also I see the software suites that drive these to be sold on a licensing basis before too long, eliminating the need for manufacturers to develop their own.

Soup DeVille

Also, any court action involving an a-car versus a driver will automatically become
a case of one person trying to prove the entire company who developed the A-car wrong, and with much less evidence.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 09, 2018, 07:43:56 AM

I give it 29.

(This is like The Price is Right, right? Except opposite, can't go under)
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

I think the big tipping point will be the ability to get around without having to own a car. Most people hate driving and car ownership, or at best just tolerate it. And predatory lending + traffic enforcement keep a large swath of the population in perpetual poverty. Plus mail delivery as you spoke to before. There are a shitload of upsides. But they cannot fix the boat load of hurdles.

I still think there is a large market for people who want to drive their own cars which will keep a complete takeover from happening. Not just sports cars guys, but people like my coworker who tailgated me from our job all the way to the highway in his needledick brodozer.

CaminoRacer

Will autonomous cars have an option for driving style? Tailgater, left-lane hogger, newly licensed 16 year old...
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV