EVs

Started by Morris Minor, November 08, 2018, 04:03:12 AM

Galaxy

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 12, 2019, 05:21:42 PM
Considering how much power it has, I'm not surprised.

The Tesla does not have less performance though, at least short term. It is embarrassing for the rest of the car industry that they can not match Tesla for total efficiency of the electric drive train.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Galaxy on December 12, 2019, 05:23:50 PM
The Tesla does not have less performance though, at least short term. It is embarrassing for the rest of the car industry that they can not match Tesla for total efficiency of the electric drive train.

See my edit.

Plus it sounds like Porsche's efforts were on making an electric sports sedan that drives just as well, if not better, than an ICE sports sedan. Not aimed at techies or greenies as much as Tesla. And it seems like they've accomplished that. :huh:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

afty

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 12, 2019, 05:21:42 PM
Considering how much power it has, I'm not surprised. Also sounds like it doesn't take advantage of regen. I know it doesn't do 1 pedal driving but I'm not sure if the brake pedal activates regen before the hydraulic brakes like other EVs do.
Power is mostly orthogonal to efficiency in EVs, that's one of the great things about them. You can have your cake and eat it too.

The Taycan does use regen when you apply the brakes. Porsche claims 90% of an average driver's braking is done by regen and not the friction brakes.

shp4man

Regen programming uses sensors on the brake pedal to determine how to balance regen and the hydraulic braking system. They all activate the hydraulic system in the last 5MPH of a braking event. The actual brake pressure is generated by the ABS pump. There is a manual backup system, but it's mostly a "fly by wire" system.

MrH

Porsche does actual validation testing on their cars, so it's really apples to oranges :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Galaxy

Quote from: shp4man on December 13, 2019, 08:24:59 AM
Regen programming uses sensors on the brake pedal to determine how to balance regen and the hydraulic braking system. They all activate the hydraulic system in the last 5MPH of a braking event. The actual brake pressure is generated by the ABS pump. There is a manual backup system, but it's mostly a "fly by wire" system.

Most regen systems are one pedal though, the car starts regenerating once you lift off the "gas."

shp4man

Quote from: Galaxy on December 13, 2019, 11:43:06 AM
Most regen systems are one pedal though, the car starts regenerating once you lift off the "gas."

True.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Galaxy on December 13, 2019, 11:43:06 AM
Doesn't that slow you down rather abruptly?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

afty

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 13, 2019, 12:09:01 PM
Doesn't that slow you down rather abruptly?
To me it feels a lot like engine braking when you're driving a manual.

NomisR

Quote from: afty on December 13, 2019, 12:10:22 PM
To me it feels a lot like engine braking when you're driving a manual.

Yeah, kinda like driving in 2nd gear most of the time. 

Laconian

Quote from: NomisR on December 13, 2019, 12:47:20 PM
Yeah, kinda like driving in 2nd gear most of the time. 

That's a pretty good description of it.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AutobahnSHO

Gross. I'd rather be in 3rd or 4th....
Will

NomisR

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 13, 2019, 02:34:46 PM
Gross. I'd rather be in 3rd or 4th....

It's not really that bad, the braking is stronger that I'd like but you get used to it. 

Galaxy

Some cars allow you to set the amount of regen braking.

afty

Quote from: Galaxy on December 13, 2019, 04:09:25 PM
Some cars allow you to set the amount of regen braking.

Yup.  Here's the settings menu from my Model 3:

EVs secretly drive a lot like manuals:
1) Regen feels like engine braking
2) Instant throttle response vs. "slushiness" of an automatic
3) Doesn't creep forward when you let off the brake

giant_mtb

Quote from: shp4man on December 13, 2019, 08:24:59 AM

...what. :wtf:

CaminoRacer

Quote from: NomisR on December 13, 2019, 03:54:08 PM
It's not really that bad, the braking is stronger that I'd like but you get used to it. 

And you learn how to modulate the pedal. If you don't want the full "engine braking" regen, don't let off the pedal all the way. It's very easy to modulate and get exactly the amount of acceleration or braking that you want. It's not an on-off switch.

Quote from: afty on December 13, 2019, 06:21:55 PM

Chevy's shifters have a D and an "L" mode on the shifter. D drives like a regular car with minimal regen and it'll creep at a stop light when you get off the brake. L is one-pedal driving with lots of regen and no creeping.

I typically drive in L around town and D on the highway (especially if I'm using cruise control)

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

Morris Minor

Harry Metcalfe on living with an EV (Jaguar I-Pace). I'm taking on board here that if you're not in a Tesla (he gets to this at the end) you're effectively tethered to your home charger (at least in the UK, where the pubic charging options are hopeless.) Anyway, this is quite intelligent: recommended.

https://youtu.be/CEyfCcAbtKU
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

AutobahnSHO

There's a single charger at a Barnes & Noble near here.

I think if the big automakers banded together and built out a brand-agnostic network of chargers (or other business did) it would push the market considerably.
Will

CaminoRacer

There already are. Plugshare is an app that shows all of the public chargers across the country. And there are networks like Chargepoint, EVGO, and Electrify America that all have apps and stuff. And usually if you have an account with one, you can use it for other networks too (Chargepoint and EVGO cards work with each other for example)
https://www.plugshare.com/

Pretty much all non-Teslas use J1772 plugs. And for quick charging, they use a variant of the J1772 with a DC fast charge addition (50-1000 V, 400 A and 400 kw limit).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772

afty

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a30799498/2020-porsche-taycan-turbo-s-vs-2020-tesla-model-s-performance/

Taycan is impressive but just too expensive. Range appears much better than rated. I wonder why it did so poorly in the EPA test?

cawimmer430

Quote from: afty on December 13, 2019, 06:21:55 PM
Yup.  Here's the settings menu from my Model 3:

EVs secretly drive a lot like manuals:
1) Regen feels like engine braking
2) Instant throttle response vs. "slushiness" of an automatic

What have we learned from this? Your name is Eddie. :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

GoCougs

Quote from: afty on February 08, 2020, 11:11:22 PM
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a30799498/2020-porsche-taycan-turbo-s-vs-2020-tesla-model-s-performance/

Taycan is impressive but just too expensive. Range appears much better than rated. I wonder why it did so poorly in the EPA test?

The Taycan does not have one pedal driving AFAIK, and if the EPA loops has of lots of micro regenerations, that would probably do it.

Real-world Taycan Turbo S is getting ~280 miles, which seems to be not much less than real-world Model S Performance w/the big wheels.

Morris Minor

Energy density...
EVs work for those who have money and two-car garages, one bay for the ICE vehicle, and one for the fast charger plus EV for grocery getter-length journeys. I still want one... because of my irrational love for cool gadgety toys.  :devil:

https://youtu.be/Hatav_Rdnno
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

I drove my Bolt to Moab. If I drove gently I think it could make it the whole way, but there's free quick chargers halfway that we stopped at during our lunch break. And then there's a free quick charger here in Moab.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 19, 2020, 07:12:29 PM
I drove my Bolt to Moab. If I drove gently I think it could make it the whole way, but there's free quick chargers halfway that we stopped at during our lunch break. And then there's a free quick charger here in Moab.

:rockon:

There's a Tesla charger at a hotel in Evanston but I didn't see any other chargers last time we were there.
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on June 19, 2020, 08:08:07 PM
:rockon:

There's a Tesla charger at a hotel in Evanston but I didn't see any other chargers last time we were there.

Wyoming looks pretty sparse on the public charger map. Especially compared to Utah and Colorado next door