Audi A4

Started by giant_mtb, April 03, 2010, 03:19:12 PM

the Teuton

Quote from: ifcar on April 04, 2010, 09:12:08 AM
It doesn't take much speed to do some damage.

^6 mph.

...into a concrete pole.

As drivers, we should always try to be respectful of those around us. That means tailgating, too.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

ifcar

Quote from: the Teuton on April 04, 2010, 09:30:47 AM
...into a concrete pole.

No, into a simulated bumper -- full-width. Example test:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzgH_p2IjaY

the Teuton

Quote from: ifcar on April 04, 2010, 09:35:50 AM
No, into a simulated bumper -- full-width. Example test:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzgH_p2IjaY

"Let's invent a bumper test that all but eliminates actually testing the car's front bumper!"
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

ifcar

Quote from: the Teuton on April 04, 2010, 09:38:05 AM
"Let's invent a bumper test that all but eliminates actually testing the car's front bumper!"

Many cars' bumpers are too low to properly line up with the rear bumper of another. Many others, however, do just fine in this same test.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: the Teuton on April 04, 2010, 09:38:05 AM

Yeah, now we're 2 for 2 in not hitting the simulated bumper in the bumper test.

...not looking super effective.

the Teuton

Quote from: ifcar on April 04, 2010, 09:40:16 AM
Many cars' bumpers are too low to properly line up with the rear bumper of another. Many others, however, do just fine in this same test.

So we build a car to conform with a test instead of real life situations. Sure, that test would be awesome if you owned a normal car and everyone else drove Excursions. But they don't.

ifcar

Quote from: the Teuton on April 04, 2010, 09:41:33 AM
So we build a car to conform with a test instead of real life situations. Sure, that test would be awesome if you owned a normal car and everyone else drove Excursions. But they don't.

Okay. Rolling backward into another car at 5 mph will only cause little scratches. Go ahead and try it.

the Teuton

Quote from: ifcar on April 04, 2010, 09:48:03 AM
Okay. Rolling backward into another car at 5 mph will only cause little scratches. Go ahead and try it.

I've not rolled back onto a car, but I've been love tapped. Yes, the scratches are all minor, and while they piss me off, I know they'll mostly buff out.

All I am saying is that riding someone's bumper at a stoplight is not cool at all.

Minpin

At Texas drivers ed they teach us 2 carlengths in between you and the other car when stopped, and they fail you in your final test if you don't do that. I dunno if that makes it law, but it's certainly more than just a dbag move.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

ifcar

Quote from: the Teuton on April 04, 2010, 09:53:29 AM
I've not rolled back onto a car, but I've been love tapped. Yes, the scratches are all minor, and while they piss me off, I know they'll mostly buff out.

All I am saying is that riding someone's bumper at a stoplight is not cool at all.

Do that into a newer car, particularly a newer and expensive car, and that little tap can cost thousands -- whether you think the person behind you is being rude or not.

the Teuton

Quote from: Minpin on April 04, 2010, 09:55:24 AM
At Texas drivers ed they teach us 2 carlengths in between you and the other car when stopped, and they fail you in your final test if you don't do that. I dunno if that makes it law, but it's certainly more than just a dbag move.

I like this law.

MX793

Quote from: Minpin on April 04, 2010, 09:55:24 AM

And from what I'm told, in NY they fail you if you roll back when starting on a hill with a manual car during your road test.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

nickdrinkwater

Why not a 320i/325i Coupe at this price range?

the Teuton

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on April 04, 2010, 10:10:45 AM
Why not a 320i/325i Coupe at this price range?

We get neither of those in the US unfortunately.

TBR

:banghead:

Tetuon: Do you really not think that somewhat intentionally hitting another person for being a douche is douchelike behavior in itself? Learn how to drive. If someone is close to you just use the hand brake. It isn't the least bit difficult to do.

the Teuton

Quote from: TBR on April 04, 2010, 10:35:44 AM
:banghead:

Tetuon: Do you really not think that somewhat intentionally hitting another person for being a douche is douchelike behavior in itself? Learn how to drive. If someone is close to you just use the hand brake. It isn't the least bit difficult to do.

Didn't I mention that I've never hit someone on rollback? Learn how to share the road with other people.

If you know how to drive stick, using the e-brake shouldn't really be considered. You learn to drive.

TBR

Quote from: the Teuton on April 04, 2010, 10:39:42 AM
Didn't I mention that I've never hit someone on rollback? Learn how to share the road with other people.

If you know how to drive stick, using the e-brake shouldn't really be considered. You learn to drive.

Do you really think that you know how to drive stick better than me? Seriously? Give me a break. You have had a manual transmission car for 6 months, and you're all of the sudden an expert?

If someone is too close, and there's even the slightest chance of you rolling into them you use the handbrake. If you don't have a handbrake, then you just do your best, but it's always better safe than sorry. And if you roll back and hit someone then it is your fault.

BimmerM3

Quote from: the Teuton on April 04, 2010, 09:53:29 AM

We're not disagreeing with you, but the point is that you have no control over how close someone gets to you at a stoplight.

Quote from: the Teuton on April 04, 2010, 10:39:42 AM

Says the guy who apparently takes two feet to start moving forward.

BimmerM3

Quote from: TBR on April 04, 2010, 10:44:00 AM
Do you really think that you know how to drive stick better than me? Seriously? Give me a break. You have had a manual transmission car for 6 months, and you're all of the sudden an expert?

If someone is too close, and there's even the slightest chance of you rolling into them you use the handbrake. If you don't have a handbrake, then you just do your best, but it's always better safe than sorry. And if you roll back and hit someone then it is your fault.

+1.

the Teuton

Quote from: TBR on April 04, 2010, 10:44:00 AM

Have you ever used the e-brake in traffic? Really? Really really?

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 04, 2010, 10:47:56 AM
We're not disagreeing with you, but the point is that you have no control over how close someone gets to you at a stoplight.

Says the guy who apparently takes two feet to start moving forward.

You're misquoting me. And two feet is less than the length of your arm. Have you ever driven up a really steep hill? If you have, reconsider what your definition if "steep" is.

TBR

Quote from: the Teuton on April 04, 2010, 10:50:34 AM

You're misquoting me. And two feet is less than the length of your arm. Have you ever driven up a really steep hill? If you have, reconsider what your definition if "steep" is.

You are so full of it is unbelievable. I actually use my e-brake all the time in traffic. I prefer not to roll back at all. It just feels unnatural to me to roll back, and it can be dangerous so I avoid it. Roll back isn't good for your clutch either.

the Teuton

Quote from: TBR on April 04, 2010, 10:52:41 AM
You are so full of it is unbelievable. I actually use my e-brake all the time in traffic. I prefer not to roll back at all. It just feels unnatural to me to roll back, and it can be dangerous so I avoid it. Roll back isn't good for your clutch either.

Move your feet with some alacrity. Using your clutch is bad for your clutch because it wears ever so slightly every time you use it. Next, you're going to be telling me that you just shouldn't use your left foot in a manual car because it's bad. :facepalm:

BimmerM3

Yes, though on very rare occasions.

I know exactly how long two feet is. It's... two feet. I have a tape measure right here if you'd like me to show you.

And Atlanta's not San Francisco, but it's not like we're in the Great Plains. It's a pretty hilly metro area.

the Teuton

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 04, 2010, 10:55:26 AM
Yes, though on very rare occasions.

I know exactly how long two feet is. It's... two feet. I have a tape measure right here if you'd like me to show you.

And Atlanta's not San Francisco, but it's not like we're in the Great Plains. It's a pretty hilly metro area.

You still misquoted me. Should I have said less distance? I can't say I've ever gotten out of a car and measured exactly how far anyone has ever rolled back on a hill in a manual car. It was a rough estimate.

TBR

Quote from: the Teuton on April 04, 2010, 10:55:22 AM
Move your feet with some alacrity. Using your clutch is bad for your clutch because it wears ever so slightly every time you use it. Next, you're going to be telling me that you just shouldn't use your left foot in a manual car because it's bad. :facepalm:

This is you:

You think you know everything when in reality you know just enough to say some really stupid things.

There is no con to using a handbrake. With experience it takes less time, is smoother, and cuts down wear and tear on your drive train.

the Teuton

Quote from: TBR on April 04, 2010, 10:58:21 AM
This is you:

You think you know everything when in reality you know just enough to say some really stupid things.

There is no con to using a handbrake. With experience it takes less time, is smoother, and cuts down wear and tear on your drive train.

LOL. You're funny. You:rollback::2o6:torque converter crawl.

the Teuton

Next, you're going to say that breathing is bad and we should hold our breaths for longer because it produces too much CO2. Go ahead, TBR. Say it.

BimmerM3

Quote from: the Teuton on April 04, 2010, 11:06:40 AM
Next, you're going to say that breathing is bad and we should hold our breaths for longer because it produces too much CO2. Go ahead, TBR. Say it.

LOL. You guys are both really overreacting on this. While I don't think it's really necessary (particularly in a torquey car like the A4, which is where this discussion started), there's nothing wrong with using your handbrake to help you get started on a hill. On the other hand, yes, rollback will wear out your clutch ever so slightly faster, but so does aggressive launches and what not. I definitely wouldn't say that using the handbrake takes less time, and I seriously doubt that, other than the clutch, it cuts down on drive train wear.

Eye of the Tiger

I used the foot-parking-brake on my old Chevy truck in conjunction with the normal service brake because the rear hydraulics apparently didn't work so it was the only way to stop the thing when towing a huge trailer. Oh, and the highbeams were foot-activated so I had five things to do with two feet, but it's hot as hard as you'd think.
Otherwise, I only use the hand/e-brake when offroading or doing stunts like 180's.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

TBR

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 04, 2010, 11:23:54 AM
LOL. You guys are both really overreacting on this. While I don't think it's really necessary (particularly in a torquey car like the A4, which is where this discussion started), there's nothing wrong with using your handbrake to help you get started on a hill. On the other hand, yes, rollback will wear out your clutch ever so slightly faster, but so does aggressive launches and what not. I definitely wouldn't say that using the handbrake takes less time, and I seriously doubt that, other than the clutch, it cuts down on drive train wear.

Using a hand brake on a hill takes no longer than starting on flat land if you know what you're do it. And, clutch is all I meant.

My main issue is with someone as inexperienced as teuton implying that he is somehow more skilled with a manual transmission because he chooses to roll back 2 feet rather than using the hand brake (which actually requires more skill if you do it well).