Audi A4

Started by giant_mtb, April 03, 2010, 03:19:12 PM

Colonel Cadillac

I had a feeling you wouln't get much a deal. They're not having any trouble selling those things.

giant_mtb

Essentially what mine will look like.  Sad to say; I won't have the LED running lights.  They're only on the "Premium Plus" models, and they're out of my price range.  Oh well. :huh: :cry:

giant_mtb

I could get the LED running lights in an aftermarket headlight unit, but they might look cheesy...and they seem to be about $350. :facepalm:

I'm sure me and my buddy could figure out a way to wire some in if I ever felt the need.

dazzleman

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 11, 2010, 10:15:29 AM
Essentially what mine will look like.  Sad to say; I won't have the LED running lights.  They're only on the "Premium Plus" models, and they're out of my price range.  Oh well. :huh: :cry:

That's a beautiful car, Chris.  Best of luck with it.  :ohyeah:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

MX793

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 11, 2010, 10:18:02 AM
I could get the LED running lights in an aftermarket headlight unit, but they might look cheesy...and they seem to be about $350. :facepalm:

I'm sure me and my buddy could figure out a way to wire some in if I ever felt the need.

I don't particularly like the LED running lights anyway.  Look like somebody strung Christmas lights under/around the headlamps.  The halos on BMW's (and now a few other cars) headlamps are a much nicer looking accent, IMO.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

I'm almost inclined to agree...the LEDs look almost ricerish. Keyword being almost. I'd take em if my car had them, but I'm not that desperate for them. :ohyeah:

Although, I would love to have the LED tails. :(

Colonel Cadillac

My mom got her car before they had the LED tails :cry:

giant_mtb

giant_mtb

Robert - salesman - said I could run regular fuel in the beast.  I assumed as much, since I'm sure the computers compensate just fine.  That's the case with most newer turbo'd engines, right?  I'll probably run premium for the first few tanks, though, for sure, and probably just compromise at mid-grade from there.

Galaxy

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 11, 2010, 12:18:46 PM
Robert - salesman - said I could run regular fuel in the beast.  I assumed as much, since I'm sure the computers compensate just fine.  That's the case with most newer turbo'd engines, right?  I'll probably run premium for the first few tanks, though, for sure, and probably just compromise at mid-grade from there.

That will be a zero sum game.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 11, 2010, 12:18:46 PM

Why the fuck would you buy a 30 grand car and then not run it on the fuel the engine was designed for?

Laconian

Pretty much my sentiment here...
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on April 11, 2010, 12:28:16 PM
Why the fuck would you buy a 30 grand car and then not run it on the fuel the engine was designed for?

Ok.  Sorry I asked.

Catman

I always use Edmunds to determine the range I am willing to pay and have had good luck with it.  Settle in somewhere between invoice and TMV, preferably closer or under invoice.  Make sure you check for incentives on Edmunds also.  $1000 off sticker is a joke.  The sticker on my CX-9 was $36,200 and I ended up paying under $31,000.  Do you think Audi is making less on an A4?   

giant_mtb

Quote from: Catman on April 11, 2010, 01:22:45 PM
I always use Edmunds to determine the range I am willing to pay and have had good luck with it.  Settle in somewhere between invoice and TMV, preferably closer or under invoice.  Make sure you check for incentives on Edmunds also.  $1000 off sticker is a joke.  The sticker on my CX-9 was $36,200 and I ended up paying under $31,000.  Do you think Audi is making less on an A4?   

I think Audis in general are doing so well (their sales are up 40% over the past year) that they can get much better prices.  When I checked Edmunds, their info said that people are paying between invoice and MSRP for Premium model A4s.

giant_mtb

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 03, 2010, 05:14:23 PM
MSRP for Premium model with heated seats: $34,995
Invoice: $32,556
"What others are paying": $33,650

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2010/audi/a4/101186697/optionsresults.html?action=2

From page one...

giant_mtb

The one I'm getting will be 34,950 out the door; taxes and fees included.

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 11, 2010, 01:29:30 PM
The one I'm getting will be 34,950 out the door; taxes and fees included.

You really took that $35k budget to heart, didn't you? :lol:

giant_mtb

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 11, 2010, 01:42:56 PM
You really took that $35k budget to heart, didn't you? :lol:

:mask: :lol:

Catman

I don't know man.  I would rather see you get something more reasonable at your age but I can understand having your heart set on something.

GoCougs

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on April 11, 2010, 12:28:16 PM

Ditto.

As to who to trust on what fuel to use, don't trust the sales guy. Trust the manual that comes with the car. My hunch is that it will say to use lower octane fuel only in emergency situations. But maybe not.

Also, yes, to some extent the ECU can use timing and A/F mixture to compensate for knock, but then again knock has to occur for there to be compensation. The end result is the engine can still take a beating and performance and economy will be negatively affected.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Catman on April 11, 2010, 01:59:12 PM
I don't know man.  I would rather see you get something more reasonable at your age but I can understand having your heart set on something.

What do you mean by "more reasonable?"

nickdrinkwater

Giant, I probably sounded a bit harsh the fuel.  I just wouldn't want you to spoil your investment (if you could call a new car that!).  You'll get to enjoy the 2.0T the way it was intended to be, even if you will get smoked by Accord V6s (remember Cougs' thread?).

By the way, I also prefer the A4 sans LED 'running' lights.  I think you went for the perfect spec, you have some nice extras but not over the top stuff that you don't need and won't recoup any of the cost of when you sell.

Are those 17s or 18s, btw?

giant_mtb

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on April 11, 2010, 02:35:28 PM
Giant, I probably sounded a bit harsh the fuel.  I just wouldn't want you to spoil your investment (if you could call a new car that!).  You'll get to enjoy the 2.0T the way it was intended to be, even if you will get smoked by Accord V6s (remember Cougs' thread?).

By the way, I also prefer the A4 sans LED 'running' lights.  I think you went for the perfect spec, you have some nice extras but not over the top stuff that you don't need and won't recoup any of the cost of when you sell.

Are those 17s or 18s, btw?

No worries.  Being as anal as I am about my cars, I'll probably be running premium anyways.  I'll be getting much better mileage than in the Bravada, so I'll be okay with it. :lol:

Yeah, the only options mine will have are the chrome exhaust tips and heated seats.  The stereo system sounds good, has a line-in and SD card reader, which is awesome.  Other than that, it'll be the nicest car I've ever had the pleasure of driving, so I'll certainly be happy with it.

It'll have 17's.  If got 18's, it'd just be so so expensive to get tires, especially since the 18's only come with summer tires, and I have to drive this car in the winter. 

Catman

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 11, 2010, 02:31:21 PM
What do you mean by "more reasonable?"

Cheaper and more economical.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Catman on April 11, 2010, 02:50:16 PM
Cheaper and more economical.

If given $35,000 at age 19 and told "use this to purchase a car of your choice," are you going to buy something "cheap" and "economical?" :lol:

I don't see what isn't economical about an A4.  It'll get upwards of 30MPG on the highway, has a surprisingly large trunk, can fit 4 people, I can drive it in the winter, etc.

:huh:

Minpin

Good lord, Audi is taking you for a ride. My dad got his Avalanche back in January. Sticker was ~50k, they did 10k off right away, and he got the OTD to 35k. Paying MSRP on cars is for suckers. In the case of Audi, where they can get people to pay MSRP, I would be going used, and looking for a car with ~5k on it.

To each his own.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

giant_mtb

That's an Avalanche.  They have to take off 10k to sell the damn things.

Supply/Demand.  If people are willing to pay the higher price, that's what they're going to sell it at.

Given the opportunity to get a brand new car of my choice...I'm not going to buy used. :huh:

Minpin

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 11, 2010, 03:03:44 PM
That's an Avalanche.  They have to take off 10k to sell the damn things.

Supply/Demand.  If people are willing to pay the higher price, that's what they're going to sell it at.

Given the opportunity to get a brand new car of my choice...I'm not going to buy used. :huh:

That's cause it's not your money.  :ohyeah: ;)
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

giant_mtb

Quote from: Minpin on April 11, 2010, 03:05:16 PM
That's cause it's not your money.  :ohyeah: ;)

If I had 35k sitting around for a car, I'd be looking at new anyways.  What's wrong with the idea of having something brand new?